    the D100 work in apature-priority with these lenses ?

    From reading recent messages here it sounds like when Nikon delivers
    something like the Canon 300D it won't be backward compatible with my
    lenses, so I might just as well either buy a D100 or sell everything
    and switch to canon. I might as well have some fun with a D100
    for a few years while I'm waiting for the perfect camera.

    --
    Al Dykes
    -----------

    Al Dykes, Oct 6, 2003

  2. Al Dykes

    George Guest

    The D100 does not meter with non-AF lenses. I cannot imagine a technical
    reason for this so I think it is just a marketing decision. Write to Nikon
    to complain and maybe the next dSLR will allow metering. Apparently Nikon
    is already reacting to some marketing pressure on the D100 as Calumet now
    has it for $1499...most likely a Nikon price drop as Calumet isn't usually a
    price leader.

    George, Oct 6, 2003

  3. Al Dykes

    W6DKN Guest

    George wrote:
    > The D100 does not meter with non-AF lenses. I cannot imagine a
    > technical reason for this so I think it is just a marketing decision.

    The reason is that D100 (like the N80 it and the Fuji S2 are based on) does
    not have an aperture coupling ring on the body. Instead it communicates
    with the lens' CPU to determine aperture settings.

    Most non-AF Nikkors do not have a CPU, but if you have any of the older
    quality Nikkors, they can have a CPU added for a reasonable price (but it's
    probably not cost effective for the typical consumer grade lenses)..

    > Write to Nikon to complain and maybe the next dSLR will allow
    > metering

    If it's really that important to have in-camera metering with older
    Nikkors, then the D1, D1H, D1X, and new D2H all provide this function.

    = Dan =

    W6DKN, Oct 6, 2003
  4. In article <>, W6DKN <> wrote:
    >George wrote:
    >> The D100 does not meter with non-AF lenses. I cannot imagine a
    >> technical reason for this so I think it is just a marketing decision.

    >The reason is that D100 (like the N80 it and the Fuji S2 are based on) does
    >not have an aperture coupling ring on the body. Instead it communicates
    >with the lens' CPU to determine aperture settings.

    I could be wrong, but as far as I know, the F80/D100/S2 don't even provide
    stop-down metering on non-chipped lenses. Stop-down metering does not require
    any kind of coupling.

    --
    Philip Homburg
    begin no-virus-in-sight.exe

    Philip Homburg, Oct 6, 2003
  5. Al Dykes

    tim sewell Guest

    "Al Dykes" <> wrote in message
    > I've got 3 manual nikkor lenses I love; the 24MM 2.8, the 180mm ED and
    > the 75-150 E, and with my FE2 can focus quickly and accuratly. Will
    > the D100 work in apature-priority with these lenses ?

    Al,
    The D100 manual has this to say about 'manual' lenses :
    "Non-AI lenses cannot be used".

    AI, AI-S or AI modified 'non-CPU' lenses :
    "Camera exposure meter cannot be used".

    ie Programmed mode, Shutter priority or Aperture priority are all
    unavailable for non-CPU lenses on the D100.

    HTH
    Tim S.

    tim sewell, Oct 6, 2003
  6. Al Dykes

    George Guest

    I know that there is some fellow who adds CPUs to some Nikon lenses but the
    list is quite small and doesn't necessarily represent "quality" Nikon lenses
    only (for instance, my Nikon 8mm f/2.8 AI fisheye isn't on his list and he
    hasn't responded to my emails, so I assume he doesn't add the CPU to
    it...and this lens definitely isn't a "typical consumer grade" lens). Also,
    Nikon doesn't do it. Do you know of another source?

    George, Oct 6, 2003
  7. Al Dykes

    George Guest

    That is what I've heard, too. Hand-held meter time...

    George, Oct 6, 2003
  8. Al Dykes

    George Guest

    and even manual exposure using the camera's metering system cannot be used

    George, Oct 6, 2003
  9. Al Dykes

    W6DKN Guest

    Philip Homburg wrote:
    > In article <>, W6DKN <>
    > wrote:
    >> George wrote:
    >>> The D100 does not meter with non-AF lenses. I cannot imagine a
    >>> technical reason for this so I think it is just a marketing
    >>> decision.

    >> The reason is that D100 (like the N80 it and the Fuji S2 are based
    >> on) does not have an aperture coupling ring on the body. Instead it
    >> communicates with the lens' CPU to determine aperture settings.

    > I could be wrong, but as far as I know, the F80/D100/S2 don't even
    > provide stop-down metering on non-chipped lenses. Stop-down metering
    > does not require any kind of coupling.

    Correct, there is no in camera metering with these cameras on a non-CPU
    lens. And I agree that it would have been easy to retain this feature. I
    suspect that it was left out of the lower cost DSLR's to provide incentive
    to those who had pro non-CPU glass to buy the higher end "Pro" bodies.

    However, the histogram function does work, and it is a more accurate post
    exposure measure of proper exposure.

    If you have reasonable photographic experience it is easy to observe a
    scene and determine the approximate manual settings for proper exposure.
    Set the camera, then shoot a frame, review the histogram, and make whatever
    exposure compensation is indicated. Then shoot again, and you have it.

    I find that with my D100 and a non-CPU lens it rarely takes more than 2
    shots to nail the scene using this initial observation/histogram "metering"
    method"

    = Dan =

    W6DKN, Oct 6, 2003
  10. Al Dykes

    W6DKN Guest

    George wrote:
    > I know that there is some fellow who adds CPUs to some Nikon lenses
    > but the list is quite small and doesn't necessarily represent
    > "quality" Nikon lenses only (for instance, my Nikon 8mm f/2.8 AI
    > fisheye isn't on his list and he hasn't responded to my emails, so I
    > assume he doesn't add the CPU to it...and this lens definitely isn't
    > a "typical consumer grade" lens). Also, Nikon doesn't do it. Do you
    > know of another source?

    We are probably thinking of the same guy, since I only know of one source
    for this upgrade. As I understand it, he uses replacement part CPU's and
    contact rings from current AF Nikkors to perform the upgrades. I would
    guess that the non-CPU lenses that can be upgraded would need to be of
    similar size, aperture and focal length of current AF lenses in order to
    obtain compatible parts...?

    = Dan =

    W6DKN, Oct 6, 2003
  11. Al Dykes

    Richards Guest

    "W6DKN" <> wrote in message
    > Philip Homburg wrote:
    > > In article <>, W6DKN <>
    > > wrote:
    > >>
    > >> The reason is that D100 (like the N80 it and the Fuji S2 are based
    > >> on) does not have an aperture coupling ring on the body. Instead it
    > >> communicates with the lens' CPU to determine aperture settings.

    > > I could be wrong, but as far as I know, the F80/D100/S2 don't even
    > > provide stop-down metering on non-chipped lenses. Stop-down metering
    > > does not require any kind of coupling.

    > Correct, there is no in camera metering with these cameras on a non-CPU
    > lens. And I agree that it would have been easy to retain this feature. I
    > suspect that it was left out of the lower cost DSLR's to provide incentive
    > to those who had pro non-CPU glass to buy the higher end "Pro" bodies.
    >
    > However, the histogram function does work, and it is a more accurate post
    > exposure measure of proper exposure.
    >
    > If you have reasonable photographic experience it is easy to observe a
    > scene and determine the approximate manual settings for proper exposure.
    > Set the camera, then shoot a frame, review the histogram, and make

    whatever
    > exposure compensation is indicated. Then shoot again, and you have it.
    >
    > I find that with my D100 and a non-CPU lens it rarely takes more than 2
    > shots to nail the scene using this initial observation/histogram

    "metering"
    > method"
    >
    > = Dan =

    Using a handheld light meter works even better.

    Richards, Oct 6, 2003
  12. Al Dykes

    W6DKN Guest

    Richards wrote:
    > "W6DKN" <> wrote in message
    >> Philip Homburg wrote:

    >>> I could be wrong, but as far as I know, the F80/D100/S2 don't even
    >>> provide stop-down metering on non-chipped lenses. Stop-down metering
    >>> does not require any kind of coupling.

    >> Correct, there is no in camera metering with these cameras on a
    >> non-CPU lens. And I agree that it would have been easy to retain
    >> this feature. I suspect that it was left out of the lower cost
    >> DSLR's to provide incentive to those who had pro non-CPU glass to
    >> buy the higher end "Pro" bodies.
    >>
    >> However, the histogram function does work, and it is a more accurate
    >> post exposure measure of proper exposure.
    >>
    >> If you have reasonable photographic experience it is easy to observe
    >> a scene and determine the approximate manual settings for proper
    >> exposure. Set the camera, then shoot a frame, review the histogram,
    >> and make whatever exposure compensation is indicated. Then shoot
    >> again, and you have it.
    >>
    >> I find that with my D100 and a non-CPU lens it rarely takes more
    >> than 2 shots to nail the scene using this initial
    >> observation/histogram "metering" method"
    >>
    >> = Dan =
    >>

    > Using a handheld light meter works even better.

    Agreed, but only if carefully used in spot mode, and the exposure averaged
    out to protect against highlight blowout. And even then, the histogram
    should be checked to ensure that you got it right.. Any meter (handheld or
    in-camera) can easily be fooled by tricky lighting conditions.

    = Dan =

    W6DKN, Oct 6, 2003
  13. In article <>, W6DKN <> wrote:
    >Philip Homburg wrote:
    >> I could be wrong, but as far as I know, the F80/D100/S2 don't even
    >> provide stop-down metering on non-chipped lenses. Stop-down metering
    >> does not require any kind of coupling.

    >Correct, there is no in camera metering with these cameras on a non-CPU
    >lens. And I agree that it would have been easy to retain this feature. I
    >suspect that it was left out of the lower cost DSLR's to provide incentive
    >to those who had pro non-CPU glass to buy the higher end "Pro" bodies.

    I think DSLRs are expensive enough that I don't need any incentives to
    upgrade anything else. Even the gap between the F80 and the F100 is big
    enough to question this 'trick'.

    I wonder whether Nikon is going to retain Ai compatibility on their
    professional bodies or not. If they drop it, things get very interesting.

    Philip Homburg, Oct 7, 2003
  14. Al Dykes

    Jeff Galinat Guest

    Al,
    Those lenses that have no CPU will not meter with the D100 as others have
    indicated. However there is another option, which is to add a CPU to the
    lens so it can talk to the camera. I have a 200mm Micro-Nikkor that I
    absolutely love so I used Rolland Elliott's service to add the CPU and it
    works fine with the D100. here is Rolland's web page if you want to check
    it out: http://home.carolina.rr.com/headshots/Nikonhome.htm . On his FAQ
    page he indicates that your 3 lenses are upgradeable but you must send the
    whole lens for each. I only needed to send the lens mount for the 200mm
    Micro-Nikkor.
    He charges $75 + shipping for each lens and that includes the CPU chip &
    labor.
    Good luck,
    Jeff Galinat
    Towaco Imaging Photography
    www.towacoimaging.com

    Jeff Galinat, Oct 7, 2003
  15. Al Dykes

    JohnG Guest

    I sent Rolland Elliott a macro lens and $100 for his lens modification.
    It's been 8 months. No lens, no refund. The lens has been "lost". I'm
    not the only one. You may be lucky, you may not. Do you want to take
    the chance of loosing your valuable lens? If you have lost your Nikon
    lens and your money to Rolland Elliot for his lens modification, I have
    found two possible remedies. The first one is to make a complaint with
    the Charlotte Better Business Bureau. The second is to file a report
    with the Charlotte Police Department. Good luck, John.

    http://www.charlotte.bbb.org/

    http://ww.charmeck.org/online_reporting/instructions.htm

    They will ask for the specifics about what happened. Rolland's
    contact details are below:

    Rolland Elliot
    14019 Southbridge Forest Drive
    Charlotte, NC 28273