    the sensor on a Nikon D1 camera? . I realize it is hold the mirror up while
    you clean but can't you acheive the same thing with the "bulb" setting?.
    Will this cause some sort of damage that I am not aware of?.

    D.Yacovone, Dec 17, 2003

  2. D.Yacovone

    Chris Hoopes Guest

    "D.Yacovone" <> wrote in message
    news:eek:j4Eb.1207$...
    > Am I missing something here.... Why do you need the AC adapter to clean
    > the sensor on a Nikon D1 camera? . I realize it is hold the mirror up

    while
    > you clean but can't you acheive the same thing with the "bulb" setting?.
    > Will this cause some sort of damage that I am not aware of?.

    Bulb mode means the sensor is charged while the shutter is open. I'm not
    aware of any actual problems with cleaning it while it is charged, but I
    wouldn't want to do it. Also, it is reported that the sensor's static charge
    will attract dust to it, so you may actually get more dust on the sensor
    during cleaning. Using the AC adaptor means the sensor is not charged while
    the mirror is locked and shutter is open - specifically for cleaning
    purposes.

    Chris Hoopes, Dec 17, 2003

  3. D.Yacovone

    D.Yacovone Guest

    Sounds good. I'll probably invest in the AC charger rather than risk damage
    to the camera.

    D.Yacovone, Dec 17, 2003
  4. D.Yacovone

    Alan Browne Guest

    D.Yacovone wrote:

    > Am I missing something here.... Why do you need the AC adapter to clean
    > the sensor on a Nikon D1 camera? . I realize it is hold the mirror up while
    > you clean but can't you acheive the same thing with the "bulb" setting?.
    > Will this cause some sort of damage that I am not aware of?.

    The "Bulb" setting held open is great for draining batteries quickly...
    with the adaptor, the batteries won't be drained at all. (There may be
    other reasons, but that's all I can think of).

    Alan Browne, Dec 17, 2003
  5. D.Yacovone

    Hils Guest

    >The "Bulb" setting held open is great for draining batteries quickly...
    >with the adaptor, the batteries won't be drained at all. (There may be
    >other reasons, but that's all I can think of).

    It's quite possible to clean the sensor while using only the battery to
    hold the shutter open and mirror up, but if the battery fails while
    you're poking around you could cause the kind of damage that
    manufacturers don't want to be liable for. Which is fair enough: if they
    had to cost-in more warranty replacement sensors it would bump prices
    up. :)

    --
    Hil

    Hils, Dec 18, 2003