    I was looking at a Sigma 120-300 lens f/2.8. The specs say that the only
    Nikon cameras it will fit are ones with a D mount. I have a D50 which is an
    F mount. What Nikon cameras have a D mount?

    JimO, Nov 8, 2006

  2. JimO

    Bill Guest

    "JimO" <> wrote in message
    news:_2u4h.4084$...
    >I was looking at a Sigma 120-300 lens f/2.8. The specs say that the
    >only Nikon cameras it will fit are ones with a D mount. I have a D50
    >which is an F mount. What Nikon cameras have a D mount?

    I think they mean digital Nikon bodies. The mount will fit your D50.

    Bill, Nov 9, 2006

  3. JimO

    [BnH] Guest

    You mean this ?
    http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_all_details.asp?id=3274&navigator=3

    Sigma DG lens is designed for digital BUT can also fit film cameras.

    DG (DG Lens)
    These are large-aperture lenses with wide angles and short minimum focusing
    distances. With an abundance of peripheral illumination, they are ideal
    lenses for Digital SLR Cameras whilst retaining suitability for traditional
    35mm SLRs.

    [BnH], Nov 9, 2006
  4. JimO

    Jim Guest

    "JimO" <> wrote in message
    >I was looking at a Sigma 120-300 lens f/2.8. The specs say that the only
    >Nikon cameras it will fit are ones with a D mount. I have a D50 which is
    >an F mount. What Nikon cameras have a D mount?

    It isn't a mount. Rather, the electrical contacts for the AF lenses
    transmit distance (hence the "D") information to the camera to allow it to
    do a slightly better job of metering. This information allows the camera to
    put emphasis on the area of the shot where the camera is actually focused.

    The D technology was introduced aroung 1990. All cameras made since then
    can take advantage of the D technology.

    So, D is merely a very slight modification to the Nikon F mount.

    Jim

    Jim, Nov 9, 2006
  5. JimO

    JimO Guest