Nikon CP5700 photos - Russia and the Trans-Siberian Railway

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mads Pedersen, Jan 10, 2004.

  1. Hi all,

    This summer my girlfriend and I travelled through Russia, Mongolia, and
    China along the route of the Trans-Siberian Railway (with some detours).

    I'm proud to present the first of three new exhibitions with photography
    from this trip. Moscow and More contains 47 photos from Moscow, Siberia,
    Lake Baikal, and other Russian locations along the route of the
    Trans-Siberian Railway.

    Two more exhibitions are on their way. The next will have some amazing
    images from Mongolia, and last of this series will be about the wildly
    interesting China. These exhibitions will be online soon(ish). Watch this
    space!

    Oh... and the URL is...

    http://www.madspedersen.com/exhibition.php?exhibitionid=22

    I hope you like it!!!

    // Mads
    --
    To contact me visit
    http://www.madspedersen.com/index.php?content=contact.php

    Mads Pedersen, Jan 10, 2004

  2. Mads Pedersen

    ONEStar Guest

    Great shots! I, too, have a 5700. I love mine. Are you satisfied with the
    performance of yours?

    Isis

    "Mads Pedersen" <> wrote in
    message news:BC25D6FF.9B21%...

    ONEStar, Jan 10, 2004

  3. in article , ONEStar at
    wrote on 10/01/04 18:17:

    >> http://www.madspedersen.com/exhibition.php?exhibitionid=22

    > Great shots! I, too, have a 5700. I love mine. Are you satisfied with the
    > performance of yours?

    Actually I bought the 5700 just before going on this trip - and I resold it
    just after I got home.

    My main concern is operating speed. I don't think I can put it any better
    than Michael Reichmann of The Luminous Landscape
    (http://www.luminous-landscape.com/). He writes:

    "The biggest problem that I have with this camera though relates to
    operating speed. In other words with its reflexes (no pun intended). Turn-on
    time is on par with similar cameras; about 4-5 seconds. For anyone used to
    shooting film this is annoying at best. In situations where one wants to
    shoot quickly the only alternative it to keep the camera powered up, but
    this of course negatively impacts the amount of shooting time one gets from
    a battery charge.

    I intensely dislike the electric zoom control. A rocker switch under ones
    thumb zooms the lens, in the same way as on a vidicam. For someone that¹s
    used to the ability to zoom an SLR lens almost instantly, the lethargic
    speed and lack of precision of this type of control is a major frustration.
    It should be said that the 5700 is no better or worse than other similar
    digicams in this regard ‹ they¹re all equally bad in my opinion.

    The time needed for the camera to achieve autofocus is also much slower than
    SLR users will be used to ‹ typically a full second or more from first
    shutter press to image capture. Even the much-maligned Canon D30 is an
    autofocus speed demon compared to the Coolpix 5700. Manual focus is
    possible, but is a kludge at best. Given that an electronic viewfinder is
    being used, critical manual focus isn¹t something one can easily
    accomplish."

    Full review at
    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/Nikon5700.shtml

    I bought the camera knowing all these things. I thought I could live with
    that. I can't. I have sold the Coolpix 5700 and now I'm waiting for the
    right deal on a digital SLR - f.instance a D100 that operates almost exactly
    like my old trusty F-90x.

    I did manage to get off some 2000 shots with the CP5700 before selling it.
    I'll be posting the best on my website when I get the chance. Like I said:
    nothing wrong with the image quality.

    All the best,

    // Mads

    Mads Pedersen, Jan 11, 2004