    will be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks in advance
    -arifi

    arifi, May 17, 2006

  2. arifi

    tomm42 Guest

    arifi wrote:
    > Hello everyone,
    >
    > I have come across these two scanners (used), and am planning to get
    > one of them to scan-in the 35mm negatives and slides that I have
    > created over years. Any suggestions on which one to choose? Technically
    > they seem to be similar - any experiences - comparative information
    > will be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > -arifi

    Remember they are SCSI, both Nikon and Minolta scanners need specific
    SCSI boards etc. Some older Nikons just won't work with Win XP. Just
    had a tough time installing an LS2000 on an XP computer. Both will work
    with Adaptec 2940 boards, 2910 and 2906s. I would go with the Minolta,
    the Coolscans III and up are fairly slow.

    Tom

    tomm42, May 17, 2006

  3. arifi

    arifi Guest

    Hi Top, thanks for the tip. SCSI will not be a problem - I actually
    have a 2940 readily available. Do you have any information about their
    dynamic range capabilities? Speed is not so critical - The images have
    been waiting for years anyway.. :)

    arifi, May 18, 2006
  4. arifi

    arifi Guest

    Ah - sorry I meant ToM, of course. Apologies.

    arifi, May 18, 2006
  5. "arifi" <> wrote:
    > Hello everyone,
    >
    > I have come across these two scanners (used), and am planning to get
    > one of them to scan-in the 35mm negatives and slides that I have
    > created over years. Any suggestions on which one to choose? Technically
    > they seem to be similar - any experiences - comparative information
    > will be greatly appreciated.

    FWIW, I'd avoid scanners that are either less than 4000 ppi or don't have
    ICE.

    There's a phenomenon called "grain aliasing"; certain color negative films
    look much worse than they should on certain scanners, but the problem is
    much less severe at 4000 ppi or higher. If you have old color negatives on
    consumer print film, this is important.

    You really don't want to have to clone out dust in Photoshop: it gets old
    really quick.

    I'd recommend holding out for at least the Nikon "V" (the low end of the
    current two models) or the Konica-Minolta (Sony?) 5400.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, May 18, 2006
  6. arifi

    Guest

    David J. Littleboy wrote:
    > "arifi" <> wrote:
    > > Hello everyone,
    > >
    > > I have come across these two scanners (used), and am planning to get
    > > one of them to scan-in the 35mm negatives and slides that I have
    > > created over years. Any suggestions on which one to choose? Technically
    > > they seem to be similar - any experiences - comparative information
    > > will be greatly appreciated.

    > FWIW, I'd avoid scanners that are either less than 4000 ppi or don't have
    > ICE.
    >
    > There's a phenomenon called "grain aliasing"; certain color negative films
    > look much worse than they should on certain scanners, but the problem is
    > much less severe at 4000 ppi or higher. If you have old color negatives on
    > consumer print film, this is important.
    >
    > You really don't want to have to clone out dust in Photoshop: it gets old
    > really quick.
    >
    > I'd recommend holding out for at least the Nikon "V" (the low end of the
    > current two models) or the Konica-Minolta (Sony?) 5400.
    >
    > David J. Littleboy
    > Tokyo, Japan

    , May 18, 2006
  7. arifi

    tomm42 Guest

    The Nikon is their low end scanner, the Minolta Elite was their top end
    scanner 3 or 4 years ago. Dynamic range isn't really important as films
    top d-max is 3.6-4.0 for slide film and much less for negative. Most
    manufacturers inflate their DR ratings. Either one of these scanners
    will fit an image into the AdobeRGB color space (which is what you
    really need).
    Hopefully you are getting a real good price for either of these
    scanners as they old technology scanner wise.
    Speed doesn't seem to matter until you start scanning.

    Tom

    tomm42, May 18, 2006
  8. arifi

    Guest

    I bought a Minolta Scan Elite II in August of 2005. I installed it on
    my PC running windows xp, and have scanned several thousand negatives
    and slides with stunning results. I got a little nervous when I heard
    that Minolta has stopped making the Scan Elite II, but speaking only
    for my own personal results, I have been very happy with the scanner.
    Once I finally found a software program that will make DVD's with sound
    that my DVD player will play, I have enjoyed having the scanner even
    more that I already did.

    , May 18, 2006
  9. arifi

    arifi Guest

    Hi, Tom.

    I am leaning more to the Minolta one, and the asked price is approx.
    275USD (will try to bargain a little). The device looks pretty clean.
    How does the price sound? I have no idea on the market for used
    scanners.

    Thanks again,
    -arifi

    arifi, May 18, 2006