Nikon Coolscan 9000 ED Scanner Speed?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mardon, Nov 20, 2006.

  1. Mardon

    Mardon Guest

    I've been using a Nikon Coolscan IV ED, film scanner for about 3
    years. The slow speed of this device is really starting to get to
    me, despite the fact that it produces acceptable quality and is still
    functioning just as well as the day I got it. A full 35mm frame at
    the max resolution of 2,600 dpi requires 3 min and 20 seconds (122
    seconds for the preview and 198 seconds for the scan). This is using
    the most recent version (v1.2) of Nikon's software and with all the
    software functions active except sharpening (that is, Digital ICE4,
    ROC, Digital GEM, etc, all turned on.)

    I'd like to know from a first-hand user of a Nikon 9000 ED, if the
    9000 will actually do all this, for a full frame scan at 4000dpi, in
    under 20 seconds as claimed on the Nikon website. Their website does
    not provide any information to elaborate on the 20 second processing
    claim. If it will do both a preview and a complete scan in under 20
    seconds, with Digital ICE, ROC , etc. all turned on, then I think I
    will upgrade to the 9000 ED. Can someone provide the 'real life'
    scanning times for the preview and scan functions of a 9000 ED with
    all the software adjustments active? I'd hate to buy one and then
    find out it's almost as slow as the Coolscan IV ED. TIA
    Mardon, Nov 20, 2006

  2. Mardon

    Mardon Guest

    Opps! - Meant Nikon Coolscan 5000 ED

    Opps! I meant to ask about the Coolscan 5000 ED! Please change 9000
    to 5000 throughout my original post! Sorry.
    Mardon, Nov 20, 2006