  1. ROBINSON4

    ROBINSON4 Guest

    Is the analog gain used to adjust the preview to match the original?

    ROBINSON4, Oct 14, 2003

  2. "ROBINSON4" <> wrote:

    > Is the analog gain used to adjust the preview to match the original?

    I've only had to use the analog gain to persuade it to center the histogram
    of XP-2 scans. For everything else I've scanned, NikonScan get the exposure
    close enough. With XP-2, the histogram was shoved up towards the high end,
    and the highs were blown. Pulling down the analog gain just a touch fixed
    it.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Oct 14, 2003

  3. ROBINSON4

    Rafe B. Guest

    On 14 Oct 2003 12:11:08 GMT, (ROBINSON4) wrote:

    >Is the analog gain used to adjust the preview to match the original?

    If you let the scanner do its own auto-exposure, you
    can ignore the analog gain controls.

    I use a convoluted method of scanning negatives
    as positives, then inverting them in NikonScan.
    When I use that method, I do generally fiddle
    with the analog gains on green and blue.

    Check out the histograms of the three color
    channels. If the peaks are seriously misaligned,
    that might suggest some correction via the analog
    gains.

    Eg. if Red is using the range nicely, but Green
    and Blue have no content above 192, then you
    might want to boost Green and Blue a bit.

    rafe b.
    http://www.terrapinphoto.com

    Rafe B., Oct 15, 2003