Nikon coolscan 4000 and black / white scans

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Adam, Apr 10, 2006.

  1. Adam

    Adam Guest

    Hi All,

    I am getting very poor results when scanning black & white 35mm film using a
    Nikon coolscan 4000.

    I get the same results when using the nikon software (Nikon scan 4.0.2) and
    Vuescan v8.1.5.

    Digital ICE has been disabled.

    I have been qite happy with the results obtained from colour prints but
    black & white .... very grainy and lacking contrast.

    Is there something obviuos I could be missing ?

    Thanks,
    Adam

    Adam, Apr 10, 2006

  2. On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 10:52:17 GMT, "Adam" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi All,
    >
    >I am getting very poor results when scanning black & white 35mm film using a
    >Nikon coolscan 4000.
    >
    >I get the same results when using the nikon software (Nikon scan 4.0.2) and
    >Vuescan v8.1.5.
    >
    >Digital ICE has been disabled.
    >
    >I have been qite happy with the results obtained from colour prints but
    >black & white .... very grainy and lacking contrast.
    >
    >Is there something obviuos I could be missing ?

    Scan as positives, invert in Photoshop, or using the Curves tool
    within NikonScan.

    rafe b
    www.terrapinphoto.com

    Raphael Bustin, Apr 10, 2006