Nikon Coolpix P1 - 'Lens Error'

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by CJ, Mar 5, 2007.

  1. CJ

    CJ Guest

    Hi,

    I've had a Nikon Coolpix P1 for almost a year now, and I've been very
    happy with it. But lately I've been getting a 'Lens Error' every now
    and then, and it seems to be happening more and more frequently.

    It happens just when I switch the camera on, and generally the lens
    extends, then I get the error, and the lens won't retract when I
    switch the camera off. It doesn't make any odd noises or anything,
    and removing the battery for an instant and then replacing it sorts
    the problem out. It does, however, cause the camera to lose any
    stored wireless profiles, which is really annoying - more annoying
    than the error itself.

    It should still be under warranty (I'm assuming warranty in the UK is
    1 year? - I bought it from Jessops); but I'm moving overseas next week
    so I can't have it repaired if it's going to take more than a couple
    of days; equally, I doubt that it has an international warranty, so if
    I'm going to have it repaired I probably do have to do it before I
    leave.

    Any idea if this is something that's going to keep getting worse if I
    don't get it repaired? Or how long it might take to be repaired? Or
    whether there's something I can do to fix it myself, or avoid it
    happening again?

    Thanks
    CJ, Mar 5, 2007

  2. CJ

    Rogataber Guest

    "CJ" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've had a Nikon Coolpix P1 for almost a year now, and I've been very
    > happy with it. But lately I've been getting a 'Lens Error' every now
    > and then, and it seems to be happening more and more frequently.
    >
    > It happens just when I switch the camera on, and generally the lens
    > extends, then I get the error, and the lens won't retract when I
    > switch the camera off. It doesn't make any odd noises or anything,
    > and removing the battery for an instant and then replacing it sorts
    > the problem out. It does, however, cause the camera to lose any
    > stored wireless profiles, which is really annoying - more annoying
    > than the error itself.
    >
    > It should still be under warranty (I'm assuming warranty in the UK is
    > 1 year? - I bought it from Jessops); but I'm moving overseas next week
    > so I can't have it repaired if it's going to take more than a couple
    > of days; equally, I doubt that it has an international warranty, so if
    > I'm going to have it repaired I probably do have to do it before I
    > leave.
    >
    > Any idea if this is something that's going to keep getting worse if I
    > don't get it repaired? Or how long it might take to be repaired? Or
    > whether there's something I can do to fix it myself, or avoid it
    > happening again?
    >
    > Thanks

    When I had a Coolpix 8700 this occurred when I had the lens cap on and the
    string to tether it to the camera became twisted, stopping the lens fully
    extending. It might not be the cause of your problem though!

    Roger
    Rogataber, Mar 5, 2007

  3. CJ

    CJ Guest

    On Mar 5, 7:33 pm, "Rogataber" <> wrote:
    > "CJ" <> wrote in message

    > > Hi,

    > > I've had a Nikon Coolpix P1 for almost a year now, and I've been very
    > > happy with it. But lately I've been getting a 'Lens Error' every now
    > > and then, and it seems to be happening more and more frequently.

    > > It happens just when I switch the camera on, and generally the lens
    > > extends, then I get the error, and the lens won't retract when I
    > > switch the camera off. It doesn't make any odd noises or anything,
    > > and removing the battery for an instant and then replacing it sorts
    > > the problem out. It does, however, cause the camera to lose any
    > > stored wireless profiles, which is really annoying - more annoying
    > > than the error itself.

    > > It should still be under warranty (I'm assuming warranty in the UK is
    > > 1 year? - I bought it from Jessops); but I'm moving overseas next week
    > > so I can't have it repaired if it's going to take more than a couple
    > > of days; equally, I doubt that it has an international warranty, so if
    > > I'm going to have it repaired I probably do have to do it before I
    > > leave.

    > > Any idea if this is something that's going to keep getting worse if I
    > > don't get it repaired? Or how long it might take to be repaired? Or
    > > whether there's something I can do to fix it myself, or avoid it
    > > happening again?

    > > Thanks

    > When I had a Coolpix 8700 this occurred when I had the lens cap on and the
    > string to tether it to the camera became twisted, stopping the lens fully
    > extending. It might not be the cause of your problem though!
    >
    > Roger

    Don't think that's the problem; I've never jammed the lens, and it
    always retracts without a problem when I pop the battery.

    Having said that, though, I've been trying to be more careful not to
    apply even the slightest pressure on the lens when it extends, and I
    haven't had the error message again. Hopefully it's something as
    simple as that, and isn't the gearing getting progressively more
    damaged.
    CJ, Mar 10, 2007