    possible to copy these to a DVD?

    Thanks.

    Harriett
    Harriett Wright, Jun 4, 2005

  2. Harriett Wright

    Cooter Guest

    It has been my experience that movies such as you describe don't play well
    directly from a CD. Works best ot copy then to the hard drive first. Same
    goes for slide shows such as ProShow.

    As for burning to a DVD, you might want to consider usiing Microsoft's Movie
    Maker 2, but you will have to convert your files from .MOV formt to either
    ..AVI or .WMV format (look for a video converter with Google). You can then
    make a DVD that will play on a computer or TV.
    Cooter, Jun 4, 2005

  3. Harriett Wright

    Steve Guest

    Harriett Wright wrote:
    > I copied one onto a CD-R, and it will
    > only play back in fits and starts. What did I do wrong? Also, is it
    > possible to copy these to a DVD?

    Any chance that your CD drive is fairly old and doesn't read the data fast enough?
    That it plays back at all suggests that there's nothing wrong with the file. Copy the
    file from the CD back to the computer and see if it plays properly. If it does,
    you'll know that the file is okay. Another possibility is that you somehow changed
    the format when you copied it to the CD and your computer isn't quite good enough to
    handle that format.

    --
    Steve

    belief that it was intended as a statement of fact.

    If you want a reply to reach me, remove the SPAMTRAP from the address.
    Steve, Jun 5, 2005
  4. Thanks for your reply, Steve. I did try copying it back to the computer and
    it does play properly, so I guess that means all the data was transferred to
    the CD-R. You've given me an idea about the CD drive though. I've had my
    computer for three years but it's a refurbished one I got from Dell, so
    maybe it's really older than that. My husband has a three year old one
    purchased new. I think tomorrow I'll try the CD-R on his computer.

    Harriett

    Harriett Wright, Jun 6, 2005
  5. Harriett Wright

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 23:20:45 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Harriett Wright"
    <> wrote:

    >I made some little movies with my Coolpix 5200, and they play back fine from
    >my computer (although the controls at the bottom don't appear until I click
    >on "half size"; then I can click on "normal size" and play the movie. This
    >took me some time to figure out). I copied one onto a CD-R, and it will
    >only play back in fits and starts. What did I do wrong? Also, is it
    >possible to copy these to a DVD?

    Since you use the word copied instead of burned, this would imply the use
    of packet writing software used to make the CR-R appear as a removable disc
    drive. First, this is the least reliable storage method, so I wouldn't keep
    my only copy this way. Second, it is the slowest format and could cause
    problems with playback. Better to burn a multisession disc.
    ----------
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
    Ed Ruf, Jun 6, 2005
  6. I use CD-R's primarily for backup, so I guess it's not really a big deal if
    I can't play a movie from one. But what you say about reliability worries
    me. Does that mean that data copied to a CD-R could be unstable? Would
    that include still pictures as well? Although the movies don't run smoothly
    when played from the CD-R, when I copy them back to my computer they play
    just fine, including the sound.

    Harriett

    Harriett Wright, Jun 6, 2005
  7. Harriett Wright

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 20:04:07 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Harriett Wright"
    <> wrote:

    >I use CD-R's primarily for backup, so I guess it's not really a big deal if
    >I can't play a movie from one. But what you say about reliability worries
    >me. Does that mean that data copied to a CD-R could be unstable? Would
    >that include still pictures as well? Although the movies don't run smoothly
    >when played from the CD-R, when I copy them back to my computer they play
    >just fine, including the sound.

    Packet writing, such that the disc is accessed like a big floppy drive
    whereby you can just copy by dragging is much more susceptible to data loss
    than actually burning sessions which can be read in any cd rom drive.
    Ed Ruf, Jun 6, 2005