    to apply to much pressure in case I break and otherwise-working camera!

    Phoned Nikon, they were vague and said they couldn't recommend people do
    their own repairs but if I'd like to enclose a large cheque....

    Jonathan, Jul 13, 2005

  2. Jonathan

    Mike Russell Guest

    "Jonathan" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Nikon Coolpix E2000 (3 years old) keeps forgetting date now - how can I
    > open it up to replace the cell battery (if there is one)?
    >
    > I've undone all the tiny screws I can find, it won't come apart, don't
    > want to apply to much pressure in case I break and otherwise-working
    > camera!
    >
    > Phoned Nikon, they were vague and said they couldn't recommend people do
    > their own repairs but if I'd like to enclose a large cheque....

    If it's like the 990 battery, it may not be defective after all.

    Put the batteries in and wait 10 hours. This is the charge time for the
    internal battery, and if you test before then, the battery can appear to be
    dead when it is not.
    --
    Mike Russell
    www.curvemeister.com

    Mike Russell, Jul 13, 2005

  3. Jonathan

    Roy Guest

    "Jonathan" <> wrote in message
    > Nikon Coolpix E2000 (3 years old) keeps forgetting date now - how can I
    > open it up to replace the cell battery (if there is one)?
    >
    > I've undone all the tiny screws I can find, it won't come apart, don't
    > want to apply to much pressure in case I break and otherwise-working
    > camera!
    >
    > Phoned Nikon, they were vague and said they couldn't recommend people do
    > their own repairs but if I'd like to enclose a large cheque....

    While I am not actually advising you to do this, just in case some little
    bit falls out and gets lost, have you looked for other screws inside the
    Battery Compartment or under one of the other openable bits.

    Do not completely remove them until you know for sure that they are holding
    the case together.

    Film Cameras always had at least 1 case screw inside the Film Door.

    Roy G

    Roy, Jul 14, 2005
  4. Jonathan

    Guest

    If you are *sure* you have found all the screws, try using a flat knife
    blade to gently apply a little pressure to the case joins and see which
    way it flexes, and where the lilkely 'hidden clips' may be. By doing
    this very carefully you will often be able to locate where you need to
    apply a little more pressure, and also in what direction, to release
    the clip.

    But if you haven't done this sort of stuff before, maybe try to find a
    friendly watchmaker or helpful camera repairer... As the chances of a
    loud cracking sound, followed by 'Ooh dear!', are quite high at this
    point... (O:

    , Jul 15, 2005
  5. Jonathan

    Jonathan Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > If you are *sure* you have found all the screws, try using a flat knife
    > blade to gently apply a little pressure to the case joins and see which
    > way it flexes, and where the lilkely 'hidden clips' may be. By doing
    > this very carefully you will often be able to locate where you need to
    > apply a little more pressure, and also in what direction, to release
    > the clip.
    >
    > But if you haven't done this sort of stuff before, maybe try to find a
    > friendly watchmaker or helpful camera repairer... As the chances of a
    > loud cracking sound, followed by 'Ooh dear!', are quite high at this
    > point... (O:

    In case anyone was wondering (or cares), the thing that was holding it was
    the mode dial - I slightly damaged a clip getting this off, and after all
    that, the battery was indeed soldered to the underneath of the pcb, which
    looked like it needed even more screws and ribbon cables disconnected to get
    at.
    So I gave it up, and by some miracle managed to get the whole thing back,
    but the focus was wrong - I opened up again and found I'd dislodged the lens
    just in front of the photo chip. Tried again, still slightly blurry. But
    then I turned it back on, and accidentally had my finger on the popout lens,
    the thing said "system error", turned off and on again, and the focus seemed
    fine! Do you think it might have done some sort of auto-recalibration?

    Anyway, this camera has made it across Aus, NZ, the USA and virtually
    everywhere I go in the UK withouth incident, and yet it was overcome by a
    drained battery...poor design, tsk!

    Thanks for the help anyway.

    Jonathan, Jul 17, 2005