Nikon Coolpix 950 slideshow question

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Robert Green, Dec 30, 2005.

  1. Robert Green

    Robert Green Guest

    [Posted to
    alt.comp.devices.digital-cameras;rec.photo.digital;alt.photography - replies
    to alt.comp.devices.digital-cameras, please!]

    I'm trying to put some images I've taken over the years onto a CF card so
    that I can use my Nikon Coolpix 950 to plug into a TV and show a slide show.
    Unfortunately none of the original images that has been copied from the
    camera to my hard drive are visible in the camera's PLAY mode after I copy
    them back to the camera's CF card via the USB card reader.

    It might be important to note I used Windows Explore and a SanDisk USB CF
    reader to save the pictures to hard disk, since I'd still be transferring
    files if I used the camera's serial connection.

    I noticed that the original picture names were lower case, i.e.
    Dscn0002.jpg. I've tried renaming the files to ensure they were lower case
    but I just get blank frames - an improvement over not even seeing the files,
    but not much!

    I see the same behavior on my Coolpix 2000 and a DXG video/still digicam.

    Sorry if this has been asked and answered a million times before. My Google
    searching continues without success . . .

    This is also complicated by the fact that my images, once transferred to PC,
    are often renamed something like:

    DSCN0022 - Storm over Gulf

    I'd love to find a solution that didn't involve renaming the pictures and
    that allowed me to use the 950 - it's a great little portable TV slide show
    device. At least compared to an old Kodak Carousel slide projector!

    --
    Bobby G.

    Robert Green, Dec 30, 2005

  2. Robert Green

    Ross Guest

    Most cameras have an additional "index" image for browsing after taking a
    number of shots.

    Copying images back without the "index" will not work (on cameras I am
    familiar with)

    Not familiar with the Nikon but I'm guessing it is like most other cameras.

    Ross

    Ross, Dec 30, 2005

  3. "Robert Green" <> wrote in message
    > Unfortunately none of the original images that has been copied from the
    > camera to my hard drive are visible in the camera's PLAY mode after I copy
    > them back to the camera's CF card via the USB card reader.

    Question to the NGs.
    Do Card Readers record onto memory cards?

    Gerrit

    Gerrit 't Hart, Dec 30, 2005
  4. Gerrit 't Hart wrote:
    > "Robert Green" <> wrote in message
    >> Unfortunately none of the original images that has been copied from
    >> the camera to my hard drive are visible in the camera's PLAY mode
    >> after I copy them back to the camera's CF card via the USB card
    >> reader.
    >>

    > Question to the NGs.
    > Do Card Readers record onto memory cards?
    >
    > Gerrit

    Yes.

    David

    David J Taylor, Dec 30, 2005
  5. Robert Green wrote:
    > [Posted to
    > alt.comp.devices.digital-cameras;rec.photo.digital;alt.photography -
    > replies to alt.comp.devices.digital-cameras, please!]
    >
    > I'm trying to put some images I've taken over the years onto a CF
    > card so that I can use my Nikon Coolpix 950 to plug into a TV and
    > show a slide show. Unfortunately none of the original images that has
    > been copied from the camera to my hard drive are visible in the
    > camera's PLAY mode after I copy them back to the camera's CF card via
    > the USB card reader.

    []
    > I'd love to find a solution that didn't involve renaming the pictures
    > and that allowed me to use the 950 - it's a great little portable TV
    > slide show device. At least compared to an old Kodak Carousel slide
    > projector!

    You could try my TVwriter software:

    http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/software/imaging.html

    The renaming is done automatically by the program.

    David

    David J Taylor, Dec 30, 2005
  6. "David J Taylor"
    <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid> wrote in
    message news:IH6tf.16803$...
    > Robert Green wrote:
    > > [Posted to
    > > alt.comp.devices.digital-cameras;rec.photo.digital;alt.photography -
    > > replies to alt.comp.devices.digital-cameras, please!]
    > >
    > > I'm trying to put some images I've taken over the years onto a CF
    > > card so that I can use my Nikon Coolpix 950 to plug into a TV and
    > > show a slide show. Unfortunately none of the original images that has
    > > been copied from the camera to my hard drive are visible in the
    > > camera's PLAY mode after I copy them back to the camera's CF card via
    > > the USB card reader.

    > []
    > > I'd love to find a solution that didn't involve renaming the pictures
    > > and that allowed me to use the 950 - it's a great little portable TV
    > > slide show device. At least compared to an old Kodak Carousel slide
    > > projector!

    > You could try my TVwriter software:
    >
    > http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/software/imaging.html
    >
    > The renaming is done automatically by the program.

    The directory structure on the card could also be an issue, if it does not
    resemble the following:

    DCIM
    100NIKON
    101NIKON
    102NIKON
    MISC

    The photos are found in 100NIKON, 101NIKON, 102NIKON, and so on when the
    camera records photos. By extension, that's probably where the photos should
    be copied to, assuming that directory structure already exists on the card.
    (Maximum of 999 photos per ###NIKON directory, if I recall correctly).

    Daniel W. Rouse Jr., Dec 30, 2005
  7. Robert Green

    Robert Green Guest

    "David J Taylor" <-this-bit.nor-

    <stuff snipped>

    > You could try my TVwriter software:
    >
    > http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/software/imaging.html

    Sounds like what I need but I'd like to get this done for something I am
    doing in about 4 hours. If I did my conversion correctly, it's $34.3848!!
    That's about half of what the camera cost, used! I'm just going to tote
    along my laptop for today and try to figure out how to avoid the problem in
    the future.

    >The renaming is done automatically by the program.

    So, as I suspected, it's at least, in part, a renaming issue. What does
    Windows Explorer do to the file name that makes it unreadable by the Nikon?
    I suspect it's a upper/lowercase issue and that the Nikon's on-board
    microprocessor is unable to deal with anything other than exactly what it
    expects to see. I guess I have been spoiled by $30 DVD players that can
    play MP3's, JPGs and VCDs without having to jump through hoops. Then again,
    the 950 was designed about two generations ago, computer-speaking.

    So, what exactly is the Nikon expecting to see in a file name format? I've
    finally managed to copy one file back, but only after changing a Windows
    Explorer setting option to "Allow Uppercase File Names." Help!!!!

    FWIW, using a hex editor I'm seeing that as soon as an image is edited, the
    file header information changes and the image produces a camera error: "File
    contains no image data."
    This is w-a-a-a-y harder than it should be!

    --
    Bobby G.

    Robert Green, Dec 30, 2005
  8. Robert Green

    Don Wiss Guest

    On Fri, 30 Dec 2005, Robert Green <> wrote:

    >So, what exactly is the Nikon expecting to see in a file name format? I've
    >finally managed to copy one file back, but only after changing a Windows
    >Explorer setting option to "Allow Uppercase File Names." Help!!!!

    The pictures taken by my 950 are always in uppercase. Being a programmer if
    I want to do any mass renaming I simply write a few lines of code and loop
    through the files in a folder.

    >FWIW, using a hex editor I'm seeing that as soon as an image is edited, the
    >file header information changes and the image produces a camera error: "File
    >contains no image data."

    Any editing of a file should be done losslessly, preserving the EXIF
    header. I use jpegcrop. It is freeware. You also have to be sure you rotate
    losslessly. Both jpegcrop and IrfanView can do that.

    Don <www.donwiss.com/pictures> (e-mail link at home page bottom).

    Don Wiss, Dec 30, 2005
  9. Robert Green

    Robert Green Guest

    "Don Wiss" <donwiss@no_spam.com> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 30 Dec 2005, Robert Green wrote

    > >So, what exactly is the Nikon expecting to see in a file name format?

    I've
    > >finally managed to copy one file back, but only after changing a Windows
    > >Explorer setting option to "Allow Uppercase File Names." Help!!!!

    > The pictures taken by my 950 are always in uppercase. Being a programmer

    if
    > I want to do any mass renaming I simply write a few lines of code and loop
    > through the files in a folder.

    Since making that "allow upper case" change to Explorer's preferences, I
    have been having a lot more luck copying random photos back to the CF card
    and having them appear in the play mode.

    > >FWIW, using a hex editor I'm seeing that as soon as an image is edited,

    the
    > >file header information changes and the image produces a camera error:

    "File
    > >contains no image data."

    > Any editing of a file should be done losslessly, preserving the EXIF
    > header. I use jpegcrop. It is freeware. You also have to be sure you

    rotate
    > losslessly. Both jpegcrop and IrfanView can do that.

    I *have* been editing and rotating in IrfanView. The problems come when I
    use the CROP command. It changes the EXIF file header to something my hex
    editor says is JFIF. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a setting in
    IrfanView that allows preservation of the EXIF header info?

    I'll take a look at jpegcrop. Thanks!

    --
    Bobby G.

    Robert Green, Dec 30, 2005
  10. Robert Green

    Robert Green Guest

    "Robert Green" <>

    <stuff snipped>

    > > Any editing of a file should be done losslessly, preserving the EXIF
    > > header. I use jpegcrop. It is freeware. You also have to be sure you

    > rotate
    > > losslessly. Both jpegcrop and IrfanView can do that.

    > I *have* been editing and rotating in IrfanView. The problems come when I
    > use the CROP command. It changes the EXIF file header to something my hex
    > editor says is JFIF. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a setting in
    > IrfanView that allows preservation of the EXIF header info?

    [Answering my own question after hunting around . . . ]

    The option I wanted was under the Options Menu - "JPG Transformations" and
    the key is to "Preserve APP information" - that covers rotating and
    flipping. Now the question is how to preserve the EXIF header information
    after cropping! I think the solution is a later version of IrfanView (I am
    using 3.36) and the EXIF plugin, but that's just a guess.

    Thanks for the pointers, Don, David and others. Most informative and it
    enabled me to make my slide show date with small, convenient camera, not
    bulky laptop, in hand. The 950 images certainly look great when output to a
    TV set.

    --
    Bobby G.

    Robert Green, Dec 30, 2005
  11. Robert Green

    Robert Green Guest

    "Gerrit 't Hart" <> wrote in message

    > Question to the NGs.
    > Do Card Readers record onto memory cards?

    Strewth! You can read from and write to digital memory cards almost like
    they were floppy disks. There are some wrinkles here and there, but you can
    store music, text files, pictures and video on CF and SD cards. I've not
    yet seen a card reader for a PC that wasn't also a writer.

    --
    Bobby G.

    Robert Green, Dec 30, 2005
  12. Robert Green

    Robert Green Guest

    "Ross" <> wrote in message
    > Most cameras have an additional "index" image for browsing after taking a
    > number of shots.
    >
    > Copying images back without the "index" will not work (on cameras I am
    > familiar with)
    >
    > Not familiar with the Nikon but I'm guessing it is like most other

    cameras.

    The index appears to have nothing to do with the PLAY function, at least for
    the Coolpix 950. As soon as I began working with unaltered images and
    switched Windows to allow uppercase file names the images began to appear in
    the slideshow. The slideshow is running and there's no index. I believe
    that has more to do with shooting than playback.

    Now I wish I hadn't rotated so many originals the wrong way in IrfanView
    because I have obliterated the original EXIF file headers - that's another
    thing that the 950 apparently needs to see in a photo file to be able to
    play it.

    I am hoping that some bright soul here will tell me how to replace the
    header created by Irfanview with one that the Nikon will recognize as its
    own. This whole affairs sounds like a mother bear rejecting a cub that has
    been handled by humans. My camera is rejecting photos it "birthed" after
    I've handled them. One solution for the bear is to paint the cub with her
    mother's urine. Not sure if that will work for my Nikon but I was tempted
    at one point out of utter frustration!

    --
    Bobby G.

    Robert Green, Dec 30, 2005
  13. Robert Green

    Robert Green Guest

    "Daniel W. Rouse Jr." <> wrote in message

    <stuff snipped>

    > The directory structure on the card could also be an issue, if it does not
    > resemble the following:
    >
    > DCIM
    > 100NIKON
    > 101NIKON
    > 102NIKON
    > MISC

    Doesn't seem to be an issue. I reformatted the card and began copying back
    from the hard drive to the DCIM/100NIKON directory on the card. The
    problems, as near as I can tell, are that Windows changes the case of the
    filename to lower case and Irfanview strips out the EXIF headers during a
    crop or if you use the wrong commands to rotate the image.

    --
    Bobby G.

    Robert Green, Dec 30, 2005
  14. Robert Green

    Don Wiss Guest

    On Fri, 30 Dec 2005, Robert Green <> wrote:

    >The option I wanted was under the Options Menu - "JPG Transformations" and
    >the key is to "Preserve APP information" - that covers rotating and
    >flipping. Now the question is how to preserve the EXIF header information
    >after cropping! I think the solution is a later version of IrfanView (I am
    >using 3.36) and the EXIF plugin, but that's just a guess.

    IrfanView is up to version 3.98.

    As I wrote before you have to use jpegcrop to crop and preserve the EXIF
    info. IrfanView can only rotate and preserve, not crop.

    Don <www.donwiss.com/pictures> (e-mail link at home page bottom).

    Don Wiss, Dec 30, 2005
  15. Robert Green

    Richard Cole Guest

    On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 12:30:07 -0500, Don Wiss <donwiss@no_spam.com> wrote:

    >IrfanView is up to version 3.98.
    >
    >As I wrote before you have to use jpegcrop to crop and preserve the EXIF
    >info. IrfanView can only rotate and preserve, not crop.

    Don

    Irfanview crops fine. Click and drag the mouse to select the area then
    Ctrl+Y.

    Richard
    See http://www.caravanningnow.co.uk/ for most things to do with
    caravanning.
    --
    ....and so, as the wheelie-bin of time is hoist aloft by the dustman
    of fate, and the broken egg shells of despair are scattered down the

    Richard Cole, Dec 30, 2005
  16. Robert Green

    Don Wiss Guest

    On Fri, 30 Dec 2005, Richard Cole <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 12:30:07 -0500, Don Wiss <donwiss@no_spam.com> wrote:
    >
    >>IrfanView is up to version 3.98.
    >>
    >>As I wrote before you have to use jpegcrop to crop and preserve the EXIF
    >>info. IrfanView can only rotate and preserve, not crop.

    >Irfanview crops fine. Click and drag the mouse to select the area then
    >Ctrl+Y.

    Depends on what you mean by fine. It does not crop losslessly. It
    uncompresses, crops, and then recompresses.

    Don Wiss, Dec 30, 2005
  17. Robert Green

    ASAAR Guest

    On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 10:15:30 -0500, Robert Green wrote:

    > The option I wanted was under the Options Menu - "JPG Transformations" and
    > the key is to "Preserve APP information" - that covers rotating and
    > flipping. Now the question is how to preserve the EXIF header information
    > after cropping! I think the solution is a later version of IrfanView (I am
    > using 3.36) and the EXIF plugin, but that's just a guess.

    I just checked with 3.97 (3.98 is current) and after cropping and
    saving, the reloaded image had all of its original EXIF data.
    Preserving EXIF data is an option, so make sure that your 3.36
    version (if it has that option) doesn't have it disabled. It's not
    where you might expect it to be, under the Menu's Options ->
    Properties. Instead, you have to click on the Option button hidden
    in the File -> Batch Conversion/Rename... menu item and then check
    the box labeled "keep original EXIF data". After that, crops should
    work the way you want them to.

    ASAAR, Dec 31, 2005
  18. Robert Green

    Robert Green Guest

    "ASAAR" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 10:15:30 -0500, Robert Green wrote:
    >
    > > The option I wanted was under the Options Menu - "JPG Transformations"

    and
    > > the key is to "Preserve APP information" - that covers rotating and
    > > flipping. Now the question is how to preserve the EXIF header

    information
    > > after cropping! I think the solution is a later version of IrfanView (I

    am
    > > using 3.36) and the EXIF plugin, but that's just a guess.

    > I just checked with 3.97 (3.98 is current) and after cropping and
    > saving, the reloaded image had all of its original EXIF data.
    > Preserving EXIF data is an option, so make sure that your 3.36
    > version (if it has that option) doesn't have it disabled. It's not
    > where you might expect it to be, under the Menu's Options ->
    > Properties. Instead, you have to click on the Option button hidden
    > in the File -> Batch Conversion/Rename... menu item and then check
    > the box labeled "keep original EXIF data". After that, crops should
    > work the way you want them to.

    My version doesn't seem to have those options. Time to upgrade.

    Thanks for taking the time to check this for me, I really appreciate it as
    well as the very helpful inputs from others in this thread.

    --
    Bobby G.

    Robert Green, Dec 31, 2005
  19. Robert Green

    ASAAR Guest

    On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 23:31:36 -0500, Robert Green wrote:

    >> Instead, you have to click on the Option button hidden
    >> in the File -> Batch Conversion/Rename... menu item and then check
    >> the box labeled "keep original EXIF data". After that, crops should
    >> work the way you want them to.

    > My version doesn't seem to have those options. Time to upgrade.
    >
    > Thanks for taking the time to check this for me, I really appreciate it as
    > well as the very helpful inputs from others in this thread.

    You're welcome. But there's one more thing you can check (just in
    case . . .) If the "batch conversion" radio button isn't selected
    (it allows you to select between that and "batch rename" in older
    versions), the output format popup window will also be disabled.
    Only after it has been enabled will the large Option button become
    active, and after clicking that you might see JPG among the "save
    properties" tabs. But you may be correct, that your version doesn't
    have this option, as the oldest one I'm still able to check is
    version 3.80, still much newer than the one you have.

    ASAAR, Dec 31, 2005
  20. Robert Green

    Don Guest

    Irfan view offers the option to preserve the original exif data when saving
    the image. This works for me after cropping, rotating, color balance, etc.

    Don

    Don, Jan 1, 2006