    would do extreme macro and decent telephoto without a bagful of lenses.
    I think it was money well spent.

    Paul

    PaulH, Jan 20, 2005

  2. PaulH

    Sigma2 Guest

    I have the 8400, for wide angle shots. I really like it. It is rugged
    and nice. It is one of the best cameras money can buy. I would not
    exchanges it for the Canon D20 that my friend has got.

    regs,

    Mads

    Sigma2, Jan 20, 2005

  3. The negative tones are because this camera, which is loosely based on the
    5700 of two years & change ago, isn't really much advanced beyond the VR
    lens feature.

    Meanwhile, most other such cameras have a mechanical zoom lens and better
    EVFs, and are quicker in response. In the 5700's hey-day--incidentally,
    5700's are a great camera at the $400-450 price-point they typically sell
    for nowadays--but anyway in its hey-day the speed of operation of a camera
    like it & the 8800 would've been fine, but not these days.

    I have a 5700, and a Canon Digital Rebel D-SLR (yes, Nikon AND Canon--rare)
    The DR is one of the slower D-SLRs there is, and it still will blow away
    most any modern EVF camera slam out of the water in speed of operation--to
    say nothing of usefulness of higher ISO values and real-time TTL view rather
    than an EVF which is inferior to a TTL view.

    Plus, barring a major change in lens mount design, the lenses I buy for it
    will be transferable to any newer models I move up to down the road. By
    contrast, any investment in an "all-in-one" means you lose everything once
    the camera doesn't compete with more modern designs.

    LRH

    Larry R Harrison Jr, Jan 20, 2005
  4. PaulH wrote:
    > I bought my 8800 before it occurred to me to look in here for reviews.
    > I'm suprised by the negative tone of some of the comments as I'm
    > really pleased with it.

    I would have bought an 8800 as a "Nikon regular", but the 5MP Panasonic
    FZ20 struck me as better value for money, particularly with its 36 - 432mm
    Leica lens which stays at f/2.8 throughout the zoom range (rather than
    closing down to f/4.9 at the telephoto end as the Nikon does).

    Don't be put off by the negative comments of the brigade for whom only an
    SLR will do! Yes, the sensitivity of an SLR is better, but you pay more
    for equivalent facilities and it's a lot more bulk and weight to lug
    around.

    You will get excellent pictures from the 8800 so do enjoy it!

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jan 20, 2005