    back to Nikon or is there a simple fix to this. Any help would be
    appreciated.

    Stan

    stan, Dec 27, 2004

  2. stan

    Frank ess Guest

    stan wrote:
    > New Camera...lens will not retract...screen reads Error. Cannot find
    > help telephone number, cannot figure out whether camera needs to go
    > back to Nikon or is there a simple fix to this. Any help would be
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Stan

    You'd think Nikon would have solved the notorious "lens error" by the
    third generation.

    My CP5700 got that, and I cured it twice by removing the battery for an
    hour or so, if I recall. The third time, it went back to the factory,
    and I have been very careful since, remembering to change to View mode
    before storing it, and never letting anything (including inappropriate
    filters) impede lens extention when it is on.

    I have had the message a few times on the CP8700, but it has always
    responded to turning it off and on.

    --
    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Dec 27, 2004

  3. stan

    TheNewsGuy Guest

    On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 13:01:45 -0800, "Frank ess" <>
    wrote:

    >... I have been very careful since, remembering to change to View mode
    >before storing it,

    I did not understand that advice when I first started using my 5700,
    but after a few weeks I realized that was an important habit to get
    into. "Always set it to View Mode, when storing." Yep, Yep. Yep.

    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    + The News Guy(Mike) - Seinfeld Lists
    + (two mirrored sites)
    + http://membres.lycos.fr/tnguym
    + http://wave.prohosting.com/tnguym NOWTHISWORKS
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

    TheNewsGuy, Dec 28, 2004
  4. stan

    jmc Guest

    On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 15:21:43 GMT, all of a sudden,
    (TheNewsGuy(Mike)) exclaimed:

    >On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 13:01:45 -0800, "Frank ess" <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>... I have been very careful since, remembering to change to View mode
    >>before storing it,

    >I did not understand that advice when I first started using my 5700,
    >but after a few weeks I realized that was an important habit to get
    >into. "Always set it to View Mode, when storing." Yep, Yep. Yep.

    Hmm. Does this apply to the 8700 too? Never had a problem with it,
    though the old 4300 did this once or twice.

    jmc
    usenet [at] jodi [dit] ws
    Any day you learn something isn't a total waste.

    jmc, Dec 28, 2004
  5. stan

    TheNewsGuy Guest

    On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 19:18:52 +0000, jmc
    <> wrote:

    >Hmm. Does this apply to the 8700 too? Never had a problem with it,
    >though the old 4300 did this once or twice.

    I would guess it happens with the 8700. The problem is the On/Off
    lever that can easily be knocked into the "On" position in a camera
    bag when there is movement or another article is placed near the
    camera. Then the lens extends and if there is an obstruction, as
    there would be in a camera bag, you get the lockup problem.

    I find setting it to "View" an easy solution. Then, if the camera is
    accidently turned on, the lens does not try to extend.

    TheNewsGuy, Dec 28, 2004