Nikon Coolpix 8800 - Is this to be updated?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by M, Nov 13, 2006.

  1. M

    M Guest

    M, Nov 13, 2006

  2. "M" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I am interested in buying a Nikon Coopix 8800. I have noticed on
    >http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Nikon/nikon_cp8800.asp
    > that this camera dates back to 16 September 2004 which seems old for a
    > digital camera. Does anyone know how often Nikon update their ranges?

    I would be surprised if Nikon produced another "pro-sumer" bridge camera due
    to the relentless rise of the cheap digital SLR.

    Roger

    Roger Matthews, Nov 14, 2006

  3. M

    Guest

    On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 08:44:19 -0000, "Roger Matthews" <>
    wrote:

    >"M" <> wrote in message
    >>I am interested in buying a Nikon Coopix 8800. I have noticed on
    >>http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Nikon/nikon_cp8800.asp
    >> that this camera dates back to 16 September 2004 which seems old for a
    >> digital camera. Does anyone know how often Nikon update their ranges?

    >I would be surprised if Nikon produced another "pro-sumer" bridge camera due
    >to the relentless rise of the cheap digital SLR.
    >
    >Roger

    IMHA the 8800 is a great camera for landscape and still subjects. It
    sucks for use on dynamic subjects or subjects in motion(shutter delay
    which can be somewhat reduced but not eliminated enough for many
    applicatons).
    I suspect that Nikon wanted to sell more glass and other add-ons. The
    pro-sumer cameras were probably not producing ongoing revenue and in
    Nikons wisdom they decided to push pro-sumer customers toward thier
    DLSR lines.

    I have eye problems that make traditional viewfinders difficult if not
    impossible to use.

    I like the 8800 because I can use the LCD to select and frame the
    subject while the camers is where near my eye cant get to. I also
    like the extensive zoom capability without buying many lenses.
    I will stick with my 5700, 990 and 8800 for the time being. I must
    admit that I am tempted to take another look at the S3-IS.

    If Nikon ever comes out with a DLSR that has an LCD screen that alows
    the user to preview the shot the same way the digital cameras I have
    now, I will buy it.
    John
    Please note I know that my spelling sucks.

    , Nov 14, 2006
  4. M wrote:
    > I am interested in buying a Nikon Coopix 8800. I have noticed on
    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Nikon/nikon_cp8800.asp
    > that this camera dates back to 16 September 2004 which seems old for a
    > digital camera. Does anyone know how often Nikon update their ranges?

    I agree with the comments of others - Nikon (and Canon?) do not want to
    improve their high-end non-SLR cameras when they dent the sales of SLRs
    and their highly profitable accessories.

    It seems to me that Panasonic and others have now filled the vacuum left
    by the lack of successors to the excellent Nikon 8400 and 8800 cameras,
    although slightly at the expense of greater noise due to the sensor being
    smaller than the 8.8 x 6.6mm sensor in the Nikon 84/8800 and partially due
    to the drive for even more pixels. On the up side, my Panasonic FZ5 is a
    lot lighter than the Nikon 8800 I considered and rejected, and produces
    some excellent pictures, as does my wife's Panasonic FZ20. I might have
    got the 8800 were it not so bulky, and was only f/4.9 at its telephoto
    end - the FZ20 is f/2.8!

    I would love Nikon to prove me wrong and produce a 9400/9800 with an
    improved version of the 8.8 x 6.6mm sensor (perhaps even in 16:9 aspect
    ratio?) and with lenses as fast as and as good a quality as the Leica
    lenses used on the Panasonic!

    David

    David J Taylor, Nov 14, 2006
  5. M wrote:
    > I am interested in buying a Nikon Coopix 8800. I have noticed on
    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Nikon/nikon_cp8800.asp
    > that this camera dates back to 16 September 2004 which seems old for a
    > digital camera. Does anyone know how often Nikon update their ranges?

    An updated 8800 would be very nice. You wouldn't have to update many
    things to make it extremely competitive with Nikon DSLRs, which may be
    one reason they haven't done it. An increase in responsiveness- shutter
    release and focussing time at the long end of the zoom- and a faster
    lens would turn it into a fantastic camera. I've had an 8800 for some
    time now and have learned to work with its limitations. The picture
    quality is excellent, and it has an incredible amount of flexibility.
    Even after all this time I still learn new things it can do. I recently
    shot over 200 pictures at an outdoor wedding that had extreme lighting
    challenges, but the results are great.

    I will still probably get a DSLR at some point. From time to time I
    miss shots because of the slow response of the camera, and I would
    really need a superfast camera for those. But generally I think a lot
    of people like the idea of owning a DSLR more than than actually needing
    one.

    Joe

    Joseph Miller, Nov 15, 2006