Nikon Coolpix 775 white balance

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Darron R. Birgenheier, Feb 6, 2004.

  1. Howdy All,

    I was curious to know if my simple little Nikon could compensate for the
    poor CRI (Color Rendering Index) of a High-Pressure Sodium light source.
    You've all seen these lights, as they're common in outdoor use, such as
    streetlights and security lights. They are very efficient, but have an
    unpleasant golden-white color, and poor color rendering ability.

    I took some sample shots, and posted them on my web server. Click on
    each image to advance to the next one:
    http://birgenheier.com/drb/external/nikon/

    The test target is a print from my ancient Epson EX Photo printer, and
    the shots were taken hand-held.

    The first image was taken under high-pressure sodium light, using auto
    white balance

    The second image was taken under high-pressure sodium light, using
    manual white balance, set using a piece of white copy paper as the target

    The third image was taken under incandescent light, using auto white
    balance, I think

    The fourth and final image compares the color chart portion of the test
    target, with the HPS light source on top, and incandescent below

    I'm quite impressed by the ability of the camera to mostly compensate
    for the terrible color rendering of the high-pressure sodium light, at least
    when setting white balance manually.

    Darron R. Birgenheier
    Brantingham, NY
    Darron R. Birgenheier, Feb 6, 2004