Nikon Coolpix 775 or Nikon Coolpix 2500

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Larry R Harrison Jr, Aug 2, 2003.

  1. I have decided to purchase a basic 2 megapixel digital camera; as explained
    before, film 35mm SLRs (Nikon N65 & N80) are my main-stay but processing
    costs are adding up. Therefore, I see the need to use a digital for
    "everyday" snapshots which wouldn't be much improved (at least with ME as
    the "photographer" anyway) with higher-grade cameras like the SLRs--in order
    to save on film-processing costs. I'd still use the SLRs for more critical
    work and "adventurous" shots like star trails, sunsets, scenics, shots of
    lightning, etc.

    Anyway, I earlier posted on the merits of the Kodak DX3600 (which I THINK
    has been discontinued) vs the Nikon Coolpix 2500. The latter attracts me
    because it's a Nikon (notice my 35mm SLRs are as well) and because you can
    get it for $150 after rebate, brand-new and everything. Both cameras from
    what I've read give better-than-average results for 2 megapixel models.

    Well now another choice has emerged. The Nikon Coolpix 775. I THINK that
    model has been discontinued, but of course you can get one on eBay.

    I've been reading the reviews at Digital Photography review (775:
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp775/ 2500:
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp2500/). From what I can see I think I
    may like the 775 more. Its different exposure modes--which to me seem like
    the way you'd trick the camera to sort of using the aperture/shutter
    combination you want it to (eg, the portrait forces a wide-open aperture,
    landscape a smaller aperture)--seem easier to access to me. You do it with a
    simple rotary knob. With the 2500, you use the "scene" button and (I
    imagine) the 4-way toggle switch to select it. Not as convenient it would
    seem to me. Yes the 2500 has 12 of them vs 7, but the 2 I mentioned may well
    be all I need anyway.

    Moreover, the 775 has the handgrip whereas the 2500 is completely flat,
    basically. Then, lastly and maybe the biggest of all, the 775 has a
    conventional viewfinder. Some have stated that they found the 2500 really
    difficult to use in sunny light due to their only being an LCD to use for
    framing.

    Your thoughts?

    LRH

    Larry R Harrison Jr, Aug 2, 2003