Nikon Coolpix 775 or Nikon Coolpix 2500

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Larry R Harrison Jr, Aug 2, 2003.

  1. I have decided to purchase a basic 2 megapixel digital camera; as explained
    before, film 35mm SLRs (Nikon N65 & N80) are my main-stay but processing
    costs are adding up. Therefore, I see the need to use a digital for
    "everyday" snapshots which wouldn't be much improved (at least with ME as
    the "photographer" anyway) with higher-grade cameras like the SLRs--in order
    to save on film-processing costs. I'd still use the SLRs for more critical
    work and "adventurous" shots like star trails, sunsets, scenics, shots of
    lightning, etc.

    Anyway, I earlier posted on the merits of the Kodak DX3600 (which I THINK
    has been discontinued) vs the Nikon Coolpix 2500. The latter attracts me
    because it's a Nikon (notice my 35mm SLRs are as well) and because you can
    get it for $150 after rebate, brand-new and everything. Both cameras from
    what I've read give better-than-average results for 2 megapixel models.

    Well now another choice has emerged. The Nikon Coolpix 775. I THINK that
    model has been discontinued, but of course you can get one on eBay.

    I've been reading the reviews at Digital Photography review (775: 2500: From what I can see I think I
    may like the 775 more. Its different exposure modes--which to me seem like
    the way you'd trick the camera to sort of using the aperture/shutter
    combination you want it to (eg, the portrait forces a wide-open aperture,
    landscape a smaller aperture)--seem easier to access to me. You do it with a
    simple rotary knob. With the 2500, you use the "scene" button and (I
    imagine) the 4-way toggle switch to select it. Not as convenient it would
    seem to me. Yes the 2500 has 12 of them vs 7, but the 2 I mentioned may well
    be all I need anyway.

    Moreover, the 775 has the handgrip whereas the 2500 is completely flat,
    basically. Then, lastly and maybe the biggest of all, the 775 has a
    conventional viewfinder. Some have stated that they found the 2500 really
    difficult to use in sunny light due to their only being an LCD to use for

    Your thoughts?

    Larry R Harrison Jr, Aug 2, 2003