    the extra scene modes plus the 2100 uses AA batteries, a HUGE plus. What
    else beyond that?

    LRH
    Larry R Harrison Jr, Aug 5, 2003

  2. "John O." <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > I know this doesn't answer your questions, but I've go to ask. Why are
    > you bothering to compare the cameras after you've made your purchase??
    > Seems kind of pointless to me. I'd just enjoy the one I got and not
    > worry about the road not taken.
    >
    > --
    > John O.
    > There is no slack in light attack.

    You may have a point there.
    Larry R Harrison Jr, Aug 5, 2003

  3. Larry R Harrison Jr wrote:
    > I just won a Coolpix 775 today on eBay about $180 total (w/shipping). I was
    > THIS close to getting the 2100 from a local dealer (ok, Ritz--or maybe Best
    > Buy), but the 775 seemed to be much the same and so I hoped I could get it a
    > bit cheaper, and was.
    >
    > I liked the 2500 except (a) lack of viewfinder, a problem in sunny climates
    > like ours in southern AZ and (b) slowness to change "Scenes" vs the dial
    > with 2100 or 775. Plus, I prefer the ergonomic grip-style vs the flat style
    > of the 2500.
    >
    > Anyway, apparently the 775 has 9 scenes. Now, the 2100 has a "sports" scene
    > which I suppose would force it to use faster shutter speeds. My question is,
    > wouldn't the portrait mode do that as well since it uses large apertures?
    >
    > Beyond that, what are your impressions of the 775 vs the 2100? I do realize
    > the extra scene modes plus the 2100 uses AA batteries, a HUGE plus. What
    > else beyond that?
    >
    > LRH

    Portrait will do just the opposite of the sport mode. For any given
    light condition, portrait will increase aperture and hence decrease
    shutter speed. Sport will have smaller aperture and increased shutter speed
    Stephen Smith, Aug 6, 2003
  4. "Stephen Smith" <> wrote in message

    > Portrait will do just the opposite of the sport mode. For any given
    > light condition, portrait will increase aperture and hence decrease
    > shutter speed. Sport will have smaller aperture and increased shutter

    speed

    Actually, according to the descriptions and the PDF owner's manual, portrait
    on these Nikons uses a LARGE aperture, because they mention blurring the
    background to make the subject stand out. So of course that means a faster
    shutter speed.

    The only difference there seems to be between sport & portrait is that sport
    is somewhat more like "shutter priority" in that the faster shutter speed is
    the specific & direct aim, while portrait the large aperture is the specific
    aim--with the faster shutter speed being the RESULT of this.
    Larry R Harrison Jr, Aug 6, 2003