    In other words, will this model of camera support the faster cards and will
    it actually make use of them at the higher speeds.

    Appreciate all knowledgeable answers.

    Richard Tomkins, Sep 6, 2004

  2. Richard Tomkins

    Timmy Guest

    Try posting at: http://www.nikonians.org/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi

    Timmy, Sep 7, 2004

  3. Richard Tomkins

    Cooter Guest

    I also use a CP5700 and RAW mode. I have 12x cards and if I shoot 3 shots in
    quick succession, it will take about 3-1/2 minutes to write them completely,
    or just over a minute each. You are probably aware that you can shoot the
    second and third exposure while the first is writing to the card, but three
    in succession seems to be the limit.

    I have read in previous posts that there is a CF card speed limit that the
    CP5700 can take advantage of, but I don't remember what it is. I'm almost
    sure it's in the range of 12x or so, so a 40x or 60x card would not be worth
    the extra cost. Hope this helps.

    Cooter, Sep 7, 2004
  4. Richard Tomkins

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 14:41:39 -0400, in rec.photo.digital "Richard Tomkins"
    <> wrote:

    >Nikon CoolPIX 5700
    >

    >I have been using RAW mode more often than not recently.
    >
    >My CF cards are all 1X speed, so I end up waiting fo rthe CCD to empty into
    >the card before being able to take another shot.
    >
    >If I were to purchase one of the newer 60X cards made by any of a number of
    >manufacturers, will I actually see an improvement in saving images, or not.
    >In other words, will this model of camera support the faster cards and will
    >it actually make use of them at the higher speeds.

    The 57o0 does not support WA cards. I get the same speed from my old 128MB
    8x Lexar as a newer 40xWA Lexar.

    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    http://EdwardGRuf.com

    Ed Ruf, Sep 8, 2004
  5. Richard Tomkins

    Frank ess Guest

    Ed Ruf wrote:
    > On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 14:41:39 -0400, in rec.photo.digital "Richard
    > Tomkins" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Nikon CoolPIX 5700
    >>

    >> I have been using RAW mode more often than not recently.
    >>
    >> My CF cards are all 1X speed, so I end up waiting fo rthe CCD to
    >> empty into the card before being able to take another shot.
    >>
    >> If I were to purchase one of the newer 60X cards made by any of a
    >> number of manufacturers, will I actually see an improvement in
    >> saving images, or not. In other words, will this model of camera
    >> support the faster cards and will it actually make use of them at
    >> the higher speeds.

    > The 57o0 does not support WA cards. I get the same speed from my old
    > 128MB 8x Lexar as a newer 40xWA Lexar.

    The CP8700 does take advantage of the technology, and the effect of a
    40X card is reMARKable.

    --
    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Sep 8, 2004
  6. Richard Tomkins

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 18:37:43 -0700, in rec.photo.digital "Frank ess"
    <> wrote:

    >The CP8700 does take advantage of the technology, and the effect of a
    >40X card is reMARKable.

    I know, it would be nice if a firmware update would provide this capability
    to 5700 owners, but I'm not holding my breath.

    Ed Ruf, Sep 8, 2004
  7. Thankyou everyone for the response.

    You just saved me a bundle. I guess I'll just have to put up with this slow
    speed in RAW mode and accommodate it as best I can. Thank goodness I kept my
    NIKON F and all the various lenses.

    Maybe in the next two years or so, there will be some better technology
    available. For now, my film efforts still do better than Digital, especially
    distance shots. I have a 900 mm lens for the F and the 5700 can't begin to
    touch that.

    Richard Tomkins, Sep 9, 2004
  8. Richard Tomkins

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 14:08:10 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Cooter"
    <> wrote:

    >I also use a CP5700 and RAW mode. I have 12x cards and if I shoot 3 shots in
    >quick succession, it will take about 3-1/2 minutes to write them completely,
    >or just over a minute each. You are probably aware that you can shoot the
    >second and third exposure while the first is writing to the card, but three
    >in succession seems to be the limit.

    That is not my experience:

    Lexar 128MB 8x usb enabled and 1GB 40xWA usb enabled cards write in nearly
    the same amount of time, that being approx 20 sec per NEF file, either
    separately or in threes. Write buffer hold three NEF and once one is
    written to the card you can take another.

    Ed Ruf, Sep 9, 2004
  9. Richard Tomkins

    Cooter Guest

    We must be doing something differently. I have timed the write time for
    three successive exposures with a stopwatch and it always takes in excess of
    three minutes. Practical experience backs this up. I am using conventional
    Viking 256 MB cards. I recall reading in one of the CP5700 reviews that a
    NEF took more than 1 minute to write. What are you doing to get a write in
    20 seconds?

    Cooter, Sep 9, 2004
  10. Seems like there is some dissention in the ranks here.
    Is it possible that someone is selling Compact Flash cards that are 1X at a
    premium price and have a fake label on them?

    rtt

    The reason I had asked is that if there was a difference, then I'd purchase
    over the internet as they are cheaper than going to a local store. The local
    stores have them all in blister packs and don't like to open a package to
    let you try them.

    Richard Tomkins, Sep 9, 2004
  11. Richard Tomkins

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 13:40:56 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Cooter"
    <> wrote:

    >We must be doing something differently. I have timed the write time for
    >three successive exposures with a stopwatch and it always takes in excess of
    >three minutes. Practical experience backs this up. I am using conventional
    >Viking 256 MB cards. I recall reading in one of the CP5700 reviews that a
    >NEF took more than 1 minute to write. What are you doing to get a write in
    >20 seconds?

    Do? Nothing to do. 16 month old 5700 with V1.1 firmware. Get the same
    result actually with four different Lexar cards.Besides the two all ready
    talked about, I also get the same write speeds with the 16 MB 8x Lexar
    non-USB enabled Nikon Starter card that came with the 5700 and the 16MB 8x
    Lexar USB enabled started card that was shipped with my 990 4+ years ago.
    Would seem to point towards your Viking card. Try borrowing another brand
    card from a fiend for a quick test.

    Ed Ruf, Sep 9, 2004
  12. Going ot www.nikon.ca and looking up compact flash, nikon says,

    The Coolpix series cameras do not support Lexar WA (Write Acceleration).

    They also list a number of cards that have been tested to work with the
    product.

    They tell you to chekc wiht the Compact Flash card maker to determine if it
    will owrk with your camera.

    When you go to the SanDIsk or Lexar sites, there is no infromation about
    support on specific cameras or on the expected write speeds.

    So, let me state and then ask.

    I have a 256MB Shika and a 256MB Sandisk Compact Flash cards. The write to
    the Compact FLash cards is over three minutes when I shoot three successive
    pictures in RAW NEF mode.

    I am using my camera in USB mode, but are you "Ed Ruf" implying that the PTP
    mode may store the data differently in the card?

    So, if I got a Lexar card or a SanDisk card that can run at higher speeds,
    such as the Ultra II or Extreme or the Lexar 12X, do you think I will see
    better image transfer times to memory than I do now?

    Richard Tomkins, Sep 9, 2004