Nikon Coolpix 5700, opinions wanted please

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Gregory Coats, Dec 26, 2003.

  1. I have just about deceided on the Nikon Coolpix 5700. Any thoughts on this
    camera would be appreciated. Thank you.

    Gregory Coats, Dec 26, 2003

  2. "Gregory Coats" <> wrote in message
    news:rj0Hb.537647$...
    > I have just about deceided on the Nikon Coolpix 5700. Any thoughts on this
    > camera would be appreciated. Thank you.

    I have one, nice camera, takes excellent pictures, good zoom range (although
    I would swap a bit more wide angle for a bit less telephoto), needs care
    shooting in very low light, solid construction (not at all "plasticky"),
    user interface confusing to the extent that I still (more 1 year on) have to
    take away the instruction manual. People still say my pictures taken with it
    are "professional" quality.

    I wonder if the new sony 828 might be worth checking out before finally
    making up your mind,

    Regards,

    Roger Matthews

    Roger Matthews, Dec 26, 2003

  3. Gregory Coats

    Donald Gray Guest

    On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 19:51:51 GMT, "Gregory Coats"
    <> wrote:

    >I have just about deceided on the Nikon Coolpix 5700. Any thoughts on this
    >camera would be appreciated. Thank you.

    Invest in another CF card card...and or a battery

    I have a 5700 and love it. Incredible macro and telephoto all in.

    --
    Donald Gray
    www.odcombe.demon.co.uk

    Donald Gray, Dec 26, 2003
  4. Gregory Coats

    N.J. Hillary Guest

    My comment on: Nikon Coolpix 5700

    "Gregory Coats" said:

    I have just about deceided on the Nikon Coolpix 5700. Any thoughts on this
    camera would be appreciated. Thank you.

    Hi,

    I bought mine couple of months ago and would offer these comments:

    o One can produce high quality pictures before mastering all options by
    using the "auto" mode
    o Manual is not readable but contains all the information requiring
    infinite patience
    o Taking me a while to master all settings
    o Lots of information available from those who have mastered them
    o The best camera I have ever had.

    Josi Hillary

    N.J. Hillary, Dec 26, 2003
  5. Re: My comment on: Nikon Coolpix 5700

    Hi,
    I've just bought one about 2 weeks ago, then bought the Telephoto converter
    and the all important ring to connect it, also, the SB800 Speedlight flash
    to go with it - I am awaiting the add-on battery/grip unit also.
    I found the instruction manuals daunting to say the least, but found a grat
    free "Manual" entitled "A Short Course Pocket Guide to the Nikon Coolpix
    5700" on the following Website: http://www.shortcourses.com
    As I mentioned it is FREE and downloadable as an Adobe file and printable.
    They have free ones for other cameras also and sell what appears to be
    fantastic books specific to working those cameras.

    I'm getting around the teething problems and producing some nice photos
    (snapshots) already.

    There are a number of homemade gadgets listed at:
    http://judyarndt.ca//pan5700/pan5700.htm

    Just my comments to you all out there from a humble Irish man

    Loads of feedback please!

    Anthony Larkin

    Anthony Larkin, Dec 26, 2003
  6. "Gregory Coats" <> wrote in message
    > I have just about deceided on the Nikon Coolpix 5700. Any thoughts on

    this
    > camera would be appreciated. Thank you.

    I have been very pleased with the results from mine. However, if I were
    buying today I would also look at the Minolta A1.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Dec 27, 2003
  7. Gregory Coats

    misifus Guest

    Gregory Coats wrote:
    > I have just about deceided on the Nikon Coolpix 5700. Any thoughts on this
    > camera would be appreciated. Thank you.

    I have had mine for about a year now. I'm still learning some of
    the ins and outs, but I've been taking very nice pictures since
    the day I got it. I print 8 X 10 all the time. I guess you
    could say I like it a lot, however, my son-in-law just bought a
    D100. It's got me thinking.

    -Raf

    --
    Misifus-
    Rafael Seibert

    misifus, Dec 27, 2003
  8. Gregory Coats

    Z Man Guest

    > I have just about deceided on the Nikon Coolpix 5700. Any thoughts on this
    > camera would be appreciated. Thank you.

    I bought my daughter this camera for her birthday last 12/27 (yeah, it is
    time for another gift). She loves it. But, be prepared to spend more money
    for accessories, particularly compact flash. The included CF is barely able
    to hold anything shot in raw mode. You will need 1G CF, if not larger.
    Prices are down substantially since a year ago. Also, be prepared to spend
    some time reading the manual. On an elementary level, it is fairly
    intuitive, but you get the best results by using more advanced options,
    like...raw mode.

    Z Man, Dec 27, 2003
  9. Gregory Coats

    Frank ess Guest

    Z Man wrote:
    > "Gregory Coats" <> wrote in message
    >> I have just about deceided on the Nikon Coolpix 5700. Any thoughts
    >> on this camera would be appreciated. Thank you.

    > I bought my daughter this camera for her birthday last 12/27 (yeah,
    > it is time for another gift). She loves it. But, be prepared to spend
    > more money for accessories, particularly compact flash. The included
    > CF is barely able to hold anything shot in raw mode. You will need 1G
    > CF, if not larger. Prices are down substantially since a year ago.
    > Also, be prepared to spend some time reading the manual. On an
    > elementary level, it is fairly intuitive, but you get the best
    > results by using more advanced options, like...raw mode.

    Other than the most exacting professional requirements the CP5700 will do as
    much as nearly any other currently available 5MP camera.

    Exacting professional requirements include but are not limited to
    stick-and-ball sports action photograpy, low-light photography without a
    tripod, and . . . well, that's about it, as far as I know.

    Some complain about short battery life. Adding the 6AAA grip works good, but
    removes what I think is a major advantage, the CP5700's small size and light
    weight. To each his own.

    Otherwise, its capabilities overwhelm my talent, so far. See examples at
    http://www.fototime.com/inv/CE0961DAC2DCE8F
    http://www.fototime.com/inv/A1ADDE202286826
    http://www.fototime.com/inv/A421886D2C29880

    On the other hand, some say the CP5000 (available as a refurb from Nikon,
    last I looked, and used from B&H) with the wide angle convertor that makes
    an effective 19mm 35mm equivalent, is the best thing going.

    P.S. May I refer you also to this view of my M A J O R award?
    http://www.fototime.com/172F2C2A2E74BD4/orig.jpg

    Frank ess

    aibohphobia, n., The fear of palindromes.

    Frank ess, Dec 27, 2003
  10. > Exacting professional requirements include but are not limited to
    > stick-and-ball sports action photograpy, low-light photography without a
    > tripod, and . . . well, that's about it, as far as I know.

    But with creative use of available supports, tables, shelves, lamp-posts,
    bollards etc., you can make very good low-light indoor or outdoor photos
    without a tripod.

    David

    David J Taylor, Dec 27, 2003
  11. Gregory Coats

    Frank Weston Guest

    I owned one for about a year and got some very nice shots out of it. I
    liked it's flexibility, it has a decent lens and good resolution. It's
    great for macros, and has OK telephoto capability. What I didn't like:

    Compared to my new DSLR, the lag between pressing the button and getting the
    shot is excessive.

    The 5700 had a very hard time capturing reds, particularly the reds in
    flowers. I never got a good capture of very deep, dark reds, and the
    contrasts in lighter and brighter reds were never right.

    My particular camera had a dead/hot pixel cluster when new, and over the
    year I owned it more clusters appeared. These can be edited out, but they
    are annoying.

    I did not like the viewfinder. I found it dull and difficult to use. The
    LCD screen was of little use for focusing or framing in bright daylight.

    Controls are complicated and not particularly intuitive. I mastered the
    controls on my new DSLR in a few months. I never figured out the Nikon.

    Finally, the Nikon 5700 is on the verge of obsolescence now. If you buy
    one, best to shop used and try not to pay much more than 2/3 street price
    for new. Otherwise you're going to take a beating when newer/better
    versions hit the shelves.

    Frank Weston, Dec 27, 2003
  12. "Frank Weston" <> wrote in message
    []
    > I did not like the viewfinder. I found it dull and difficult to use.

    The
    > LCD screen was of little use for focusing or framing in bright daylight.

    []

    Actually, I was very pleased with the viewfinder, but perhaps because I
    ended up using the electronic viewfinder (EVF) for the great majority of
    my shots. It avoids the need to squint or put your reading glasses on,
    and is completely visible whatever the lighting!

    I had initially though I would not be using the EVF (coming from a Nikon
    Coolpix 900/990 background) but I actually think that I couldn't do
    without it now!

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Dec 27, 2003