    usually the rule of thumb at rock shows is to turn it off. Any
    suggestions?

    MV.

    Master Volume, Aug 12, 2003

  2. Master Volume

    Kenwood Guest

    Try setting the flash in rear synch mode and use a shutter speed somewhere
    around 1/15-1/30
    You'll still get the "trippy movments" along with the freeze of motion when
    the flash goes.

    Without the flash, you'll have to set the camera to a high ISO and wide
    aperature.
    This still might not be enough though as the lighting is dim.

    Use NeatImage or similiar plugin in Photoshop to reduce the grain from the
    high ISO images.

    Good luck,
    Steven

    Kenwood, Aug 12, 2003

  3. "Kenwood" <> wrote in message

    > Without the flash, you'll have to set the camera to a high ISO and wide
    > aperature.
    > This still might not be enough though as the lighting is dim.
    >
    > Use NeatImage or similiar plugin in Photoshop to reduce the grain from the
    > high ISO images.

    "Dim" is a relative term in shows, there may be overall darkness but the
    performers usually have several lights trained on them. A long lens will
    give you great shots without sacrificing ISO. Forget the drummer, his arms
    will be blurs unless you shoot in slow songs. I would also suggest a
    monopod. Flash will ruin the show's lighting.

    Also, you *do* have a permit, don't you?

    Juan

    Juan R. Pollo, Aug 13, 2003
  4. I know all the general rules of thumb for shooting shows as I've shot
    many, I was basically just looking for technical tips from any other
    Coolpix 5000 users.

    MV.

    Master Volume, Aug 13, 2003
  5. Master Volume

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On 12 Aug 2003 14:01:36 -0700, in rec.photo.digital
    (Master Volume) wrote:

    >Anybody with a Nikon Coolpix 5000 out there that can help me out with
    >some shooting tips? I'm wondering what the best settings would be if
    >i'm shooting a live band indoors with low light and lots of movement.
    >everything i've tried so far gives me some really trippy and sometimes
    >cool results but i'd really like the image to be clear so you can make
    >out the persons face, y'know? I'm not opposed to using flash although
    >usually the rule of thumb at rock shows is to turn it off. Any
    >suggestions?

    If exposures are long consider using the BSS function.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://members.cox.net/egruf
    See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam

    Ed Ruf, Aug 13, 2003