Nikon Coolpix 4300

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Howard Barkan, Aug 16, 2003.

  1. Anyone out there have this camera? I just got one, and it's making some
    strange noises... and I didn't think it was supposed to make ANY noises??
    Howard Barkan, Aug 16, 2003

  2. Howard Barkan

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 14:56:04 -0400, in rec.photo.digital "Howard Barkan"
    <> wrote:

    >Anyone out there have this camera? I just got one, and it's making some
    >strange noises... and I didn't think it was supposed to make ANY noises??

    By default Nikon CP's are set for continuous auto focusing. Not only is it
    annoying, even disconcerting to newcomers, it uses battery power. You can
    go into the menus and chose single AF. Then you can just half press the
    shutter button to lock focus prior to taking a photo.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://members.cox.net/egruf
    See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam
    Ed Ruf, Aug 16, 2003

  3. Sorry, parts of my original message were cut out by the prior answer --

    Anyway, sounds like a ticking or scraping, as weird as that sounds. Happens
    in auto mode and scene mode. Stops when I press the shutter halfway, which
    of course locks the automatic focus.

    Thing is, although I've only had this camera a few days, I can't remember
    that happening before today, although I haven't used the camera that much
    yet, including in the stores where I was trying it out.

    The previous suggestion was that it's in continuous focus mode, as opposed
    to single focus mode, but I checked and it's set in single focus mode (which
    is the camera's default).

    So maybe it's the noise of it trying to focus constantly, when the monitor
    is on.

    Although I could swear it wasn't happening before...

    Howard Barkan, Aug 17, 2003
  4. In article <>,
    "Howard Barkan" <> wrote:

    > Anyone out there have this camera? I just got one, and it's making some
    > strange noises... and I didn't think it was supposed to make ANY noises??

    I have one and it makes noises when focusing or zooming. I think this
    is probably normal.

    --
    Robert B. Peirce, Venetia, PA 724-941-6883
    [Mac]
    Robert Peirce, Aug 17, 2003
  5. Thanks very much to Robert and Ed, who let me know that this is normal (I
    guess I'm the one that's not normal!).

    Appreciate it.

    Howard Barkan, Aug 17, 2003
  6. Howard Barkan

    Don Guest

    Robert Peirce wrote:
    > I have one and it makes noises when focusing or zooming. I think this
    > is probably normal.

    Indeed the general consensus is that "grinding" and "scraping" when
    zooming etc is "normal" for the 4300, and other models too.

    Don
    Don, Aug 19, 2003
  7. Yeah, I originally asked this question -- turns out it was a rather dumb
    one.

    Went I went back to a store to check to see if it made those noises there,
    it did. But with all the noises in the store, no way anyone would notice
    them! I had to hold it up to my ear to hear them!

    Duh....

    Howard Barkan, Aug 20, 2003
  8. Howard Barkan

    Don Guest

    Howard Barkan wrote:

    > Yeah, I originally asked this question -- turns out it was a rather dumb
    > one.

    Although, being used to non digital Nikon gear making all the right
    (silent) noises it's a bit of a challenge getting used to these "ear
    shattering" devices.

    Heck, even their film scanners make grinding noises. They work great
    though. :)

    Don
    Don, Aug 20, 2003