    --
    http://www.stokefolk.com - the portal for Stoke people
    Real mail address is timb1 at stokefolk dot com

    TimB, Sep 6, 2003

  2. TimB

    Tim Guest

    On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 17:51:02 +0000, kate wrote:

    >> Just saw one of these going second hand round here for £130 and
    >> snapped it up. Seems to have everything except software and USB cable
    >> (charger, battery, case and 16MB CF). I'm not collecting it for another
    >> week, but it seemed to work OK in the shop, and I'm fairly certain I've
    >> got a bargain.

    > Something like this I would never get second hand or used.
    >
    > The other thing about getting things somebody else is getting rid of, is
    > the idea that if it was so great, why would they be getting rid of it?
    > Perhaps you should think about getting the type of camera this guy is
    > getting instead of taking what he/she considers not worth keeping.

    I see your point, but the shop was more a 'selling because I need money'
    than a 'selling due to upgrade' shop. The cam seems to have been well
    looked after, and I'm on a budget, so buying a new one cash isn't an
    option. I've heard Nikon's are an exxcellent cam, so to find a 3.2MP one
    for UKP130 was too much temptation to resist. I tried it in the shop and
    it seems to work OK, so I'm happy to take the gamble.

    The only downside I've read is that it doesn't perform well in the dark -
    I'm planning to use the cam mainly for taking photos in nightclubs, so
    that may be a problem. Can anyone with experience with the cam confirm or
    deny this? For the price, I'll take the chance and live with it! Does
    anyone know if there are any known faults to keep an eye out for with this
    model though?

    Tim, Sep 6, 2003

  3. TimB

    fv Guest

    Suggest you buy a few sets of high capacity NIMH's . It eats batteries
    quite fast! Took a 3 week tour of Scandinavia and Russia in June, and the
    camera worked great, even in the Hermitage and Pushkin in St. Petersburg.

    fv, Sep 7, 2003
  4. The Nikon 3100 does not have a focus assist lamp, so it will not focus
    very well indoors or in dark places. Definitely not good for
    nightclubs. It does not even allow for manual focus to get around the
    problem. I think you made a bad, hasty choice for your purposes.
    However, the camera is excellent for outdoor shots.

    Monica Krowley, Sep 7, 2003
  5. TimB

    Tim Guest

    On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 22:27:22 -0700, Monica Krowley wrote:

    > The Nikon 3100 does not have a focus assist lamp, so it will not focus
    > very well indoors or in dark places. Definitely not good for
    > nightclubs. It does not even allow for manual focus to get around the
    > problem. I think you made a bad, hasty choice for your purposes.
    > However, the camera is excellent for outdoor shots.

    Oh well, I'll let you know how I get on with club photos with it! Either
    way, I'm losing my borrowed Kodak DX4900 to my brother in a week or so, so
    I need something soon, and suitable for clubbing or not, when I see a Nikon at
    UKP130 there's just no way I'm not gonna bite his hand off for it :)

    Thanks for the info!!

    Tim

    Tim, Sep 7, 2003