    I would think this latch would break all the time as it is as flimsy as a
    butterfly's wings (see this photo of the latch closeup):
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/NikonCP3100/Images/battcompartment.jpg
    Hong Ben Wu, Jul 7, 2005

  2. Hong Ben Wu

    Roy Guest

    "Hong Ben Wu" <> wrote in message
    news:LP4ze.1814$6%...
    > I'm sure SOMEONE out there has a neat trick to fix or redesign this
    > serious
    > flaw in an otherwise well made Nikon camera.
    >
    > I really enjoy my Nikon CoolPix 3100 but the battery door latch broke
    > almost
    > the day the warranty expired.
    >
    > Does anyone know of a trick to fix this latch?
    >
    > I would think this latch would break all the time as it is as flimsy as a
    > butterfly's wings (see this photo of the latch closeup):
    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/NikonCP3100/Images/battcompartment.jpg

    Hi.

    I do not know this camera.

    If the door or latch is as flimsy as you suggest, lots of other people will
    have had the same problem. All the Camera Repairers, will have had lots of
    requests for replacement doors, and will probably have a few doors in stock.
    It only takes a very few minutes to replace a Batt. Comp. door.

    However, if this is not a common problem, then the chances are you will need
    to wait on a door being ordered.

    Roy G
    Roy, Jul 7, 2005

  3. Hong Ben Wu

    Hong Ben Wu Guest

    In article <ta9ze.1232$>, "Roy" <> wrote:
    >"Hong Ben Wu" <> wrote in message
    >> I'm sure SOMEONE out there has a neat trick to fix or redesign this
    >> serious flaw in an otherwise well made Nikon camera.

    >I do not know this camera.
    >It only takes a very few minutes to replace a Batt. Comp. door.

    The problem is that it's the Nikon BODY that broke (not the door).
    Can the defective Nikon body be as easily replaced as the door?

    The latch lock on the Nikon camera is a fragile plastic catch molded into the
    body as shown by the photo below.
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/NikonCP3100/Images/battcompartment.jpg

    I had expected more from Nikon and they let me down, but that isn't the
    problem now. The problem now is how to repair the latch which is molded into
    the Nikon CoolPix 3100 body.

    Someone out there must have an intelligent fix to this problem that I haven't
    thought of.
    Hong Ben Wu, Jul 7, 2005
  4. Hong Ben Wu

    armlance Guest

    Mine broke too. :-(

    armlance, Jul 7, 2005
  5. Hong Ben Wu

    Ken Guest

    I have the same camera, with the same problem. I ended up buying a Kodak
    dx7590 yesterday to replace it. It is otherwise a great camera, and I'd
    like to know about a fix so I can use it as a spare. Thanks in advance,
    Ken

    Ken, Jul 7, 2005
  6. Hong Ben Wu

    Deedee Tee Guest

    Good to know that such obviously poor technical solutions do occur.
    One more thing to check out when handling a camera in a shop.

    Deedee Tee, Jul 8, 2005
  7. Hong Ben Wu

    Isaiah Beard Guest

    Hong Ben Wu wrote:

    > The problem is that it's the Nikon BODY that broke (not the door).

    Wow, THAT's unexpected. The battery doors feel quite flimsy, you'd
    think they'd be the first to break, especially wiht the battery pressure.

    (FWIW, my experience with such doors is with the Nikon Coolpix 7600,
    which so far hasn't broken).

    > Can the defective Nikon body be as easily replaced as the door?

    Probably not. It looks like the whoel assembly is one piece, and I
    don't think that putting a new shell on it will be so easy without
    sending it in for service.

    > The latch lock on the Nikon camera is a fragile plastic catch molded into the
    > body as shown by the photo below.
    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/NikonCP3100/Images/battcompartment.jpg

    Well, I can tell you this much: it seems like Nikon may have figured out
    that the catch design on the olded plastic body was
    a problem, because they changed the design on later models with a
    similar body design. As an example, I offer my 7600:

    http://tinyurl.com/exyq3

    Note that in place of the 3100's "suitcase handle" shape, the catch is
    now a solid mold with some reinforcement. It's still plastic, though,
    so we'll see how long this lasts.

    > I had expected more from Nikon and they let me down, but that isn't the
    > problem now. The problem now is how to repair the latch which is molded into
    > the Nikon CoolPix 3100 body.

    I'd give Nikon tech support a call. Given the latch design change, they
    might be willing to admit a problem and perhaps offer some sort of
    remedy. At the very least, you'll get an idea of how much it might cost
    out of pocket to fix. How old is your 3100?

    --
    E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
    Isaiah Beard, Jul 8, 2005
  8. Hong Ben Wu

    Guest

    Isaiah Beard wrote:
    > > The problem is that it's the Nikon BODY that broke (not the door).

    > It looks like the whoel assembly is one piece, and I
    > don't think that putting a new shell on it will be so easy without
    > sending it in for service.

    Mine broke in the same way!

    I have the Nikon Coolpix 2100 and the little plastic u thing on the
    body broke rendering the Nikon useless.

    I always thought Nikon made good stuff but this is really bad. I don't
    think I'd ever recommend a Nikon to anyone as their engineers don't
    even know how to properly design a camera battery door!

    The only ones using Nikons are the pros who have their company fix all
    their broken down Nikon cameras. We don't have an expense account so
    the Nikon Coolpix series is just not worth it to we consumers IMHO.
    , Jul 9, 2005
  9. Hong Ben Wu

    Guest

    Deedee Tee wrote:
    > Good to know that such obviously poor technical solutions do occur.
    > One more thing to check out when handling a camera in a shop.

    If the Nikon engineers don't even know how to engineer something as
    trivial as a working battery door, can you imagine how badly Nikon
    designs the hard stuff?

    Best to buy a brand which is reliable. Nikon isn't, if my real world
    experience is worth anything to you.
    , Jul 9, 2005
  10. Hong Ben Wu

    Isaiah Beard Guest

    wrote:
    > Deedee Tee wrote:
    >
    >>Good to know that such obviously poor technical solutions do occur.
    >>One more thing to check out when handling a camera in a shop.

    > If the Nikon engineers don't even know how to engineer something as
    > trivial as a working battery door, can you imagine how badly Nikon
    > designs the hard stuff?

    I think you're jumping to conclusions a little too much. Basing your
    assessment of Nikon's quality based on a single product is a little
    presumptuous. Even the best designers and engineers make mistakes
    sometimes. And as I've illustrated, they seem to have learned from
    their mistake in similar designs going forward.

    Have you even tried contacting Nikon to see if they'll repair it?

    --
    E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
    Isaiah Beard, Jul 9, 2005
  11. Hong Ben Wu

    KevinB

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    Failed battery door latch

    It appears that I am not alone in dealing with crappy Nikon battery door latches. I have a Nikon CoolPix L24 camera that the battery door latch has failed on twice with 4 months of ownership. The first time I took it back to the store and they gave me another one. Now it is past the 30 day store return policy and Nikon refuses to accept responsibility for the repair under their warranty. It appears to me that Nikon has a serious design flaw in this camera and apparently after reading the reviews several of their cameras.

    I will no longer be purchasing any Nikon products. I had purchased several Nikon's over years. Never again. They clearly do not stand behind the "fine" products that they manufacture and distribute.

    Spread the word, Nikon believes that they have no problems with their cameras and that door latch failures are a consumer problem not a camera problem. They will not honor their warranty!
    KevinB, Apr 23, 2012