    (approx 2 seconds) This is not there (or it is very very short) when
    the batteries are fresh. Is this normal? to be expected?

    thanks in advance!

    Hector Polector, Sep 20, 2003

  2. >>>>>> 1) Just purchased a nikon coolpix 3100 and am experiencing the
    "Batteries Exhausted" warning message despite using fresh batteries that has
    been mention in previous posts. I went to the nikon site to upgrade the os
    but I realized I was
    already running v1.2. Should I "reinstall" (overwrite) the firmware?

    I have the upgrade installed, and most of the time the "BE" warning only
    comes on when appropriate, but now and then it comes on very soon after I
    put in fresh ones. Yesterday, it came on IMMEDIATELY after I put in fresh
    ones. When this happens, I just forget about it, and shoot till the camera
    shuts down, many dozens of shots later.

    and longer black screen which appears after each picture is taken. (approx 2
    seconds) This is not there (or it is very very short) when the batteries
    are fresh. Is this normal? to

    I get a variety of effects after taking a shot. Sometimes it freezes the
    last frame taken for a long time (particularly after taking three
    consecutive shots--which is pretty much the maximum for the camera),
    sometimes it freezes a random LCD image of nothing in particular as the
    camera is swinging around AFTER the image is taken, and sometimes it doesn't
    freeze at all and simply shows what you would see through the viewfinder
    while it is saving the image. The one thing I find most cumbersome about
    this camera is the very long time it seems to need to save images to the CF
    card--and is unusable for up to 10 seconds thereafter if taking multiple
    shots in consecutive mode. Mine doesn't go black--but as far as I'm
    concerned the WAIT time you are experiencing is very normal! I haven't
    noticed any difference in that relative to how new the batteries are though.
    You might want to check it with a stopwatch just to be sure that it is a
    siginificant effect. Maybe I will too.

    Douglas W. Hoyt, Sep 20, 2003

  3. Hector Polector

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Hector Polector wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > 1) Just purchased a nikon coolpix 3100 and am experiencing the
    > "Batteries Exhausted" warning message despite using fresh batteries
    > that has been mention in previous posts.
    > I went to the nikon site to upgrade the os but I realized I was
    > already running v1.2. Should I "reinstall" (overwrite) the firmware?

    Are you using alkaline batteries ?

    Alkaline cells won't last long in any digital camera.. The internal resistance
    is too high and because of the heavy current load, you wind up with too much
    voltage drop.

    Despite showing as exhausted in your digicam, these batteries will still power
    (and last a long time), in lower current devices like Walkman radios and TV
    remotes. Don't throw them out.

    If you are using alkalines, switch to high capacity nickle metal hydride
    rechargeables and pick up a charger for them. It will make all the difference
    in the world.

    Jim Townsend, Sep 21, 2003
  4. Hector Polector

    Wombat Guest

    What batteries are you using?

    Nimh batteries Best
    Lithium (CRV-3) OK but $$
    Nicad they will work
    Alkaline Don't even think about it.

    If using the Nimh rechargables, they need a few cycles to break in to
    full health.

    Wombat, Sep 21, 2003
  5. Hector Polector

    armlance Guest

    Hi,

    I have the exact same problems.

    Reflashed the bios, that went OK but did not make any difference.

    Problem is most most obvious with repeated flash shots.

    Using Sanyo 2100 Ni-Mh batteries did not prove any better.

    The camera may just have poor battery life. Suggest lots of spares.

    Best of Luck

    armlance, Sep 21, 2003
  6. Hector Polector

    fotolover Guest

    wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >1) Just purchased a nikon coolpix 3100 and am experiencing the
    >"Batteries Exhausted" warning message despite using fresh batteries
    >that has been mention in previous posts.
    >I went to the nikon site to upgrade the os but I realized I was
    >already running v1.2. Should I "reinstall" (overwrite) the firmware?
    >
    >2) I also noticed that as the batteries get lower there is a longer
    >and longer black screen which appears after each picture is taken.
    >(approx 2 seconds) This is not there (or it is very very short) when
    >the batteries are fresh. Is this normal? to be expected?
    >
    >thanks in advance!

    My local sales guy said that the firmware upgrade is needed but that
    you also have to take an emory cloth or equivalent and polish the ring
    shaped contact on the battery door. That seems to help.

    Don

    fotolover, Sep 28, 2003