    I want something small I can put in my pocket and take out on nights out and day trips. Any preference on any of the above? Also are there any alternatives for the same or slightly less money that are worth looking at?

    Many Thanks,
    Craig
    Craig Ward, Sep 1, 2003

  2. I can offer points of view with this because I was shopping for both models
    just a couple of weeks ago. I ended up with the 775 as I got it cheaper on
    eBay (still in box with all the accessories).

    The main difference between the two in my view is that the 775 uses EN-EL1
    Lithium-Ion rechargeable batteries (you can also use 2CR5 Lithiums which are
    NOT rechargeable) while the Coolpix 2100 uses regular AAs (although of
    course you would do best with lithiums or rechargeables rather than
    alkalines). Some prefer the AAs because they are more common; on the other
    hand, some have said the EN-EL1s (2CR5 Lithiums) last longer and you can
    easily buy an extra one to carry around with you. I paid $18 for an extra
    one I keep as a spare so when the other one gets low I can swap them out and
    charge the depleted one.

    The 2100 has more "scene" modes than the 775. As opposed to just, say,
    "portrait," it has portrait center, portrait couple etc. Also its zoom
    control is a tad more obvious. Both have the same resolution (2.1
    megapixels) and use Compact Flash Type I cards.

    If you get the 775, note that it comes with Nikon View 4; meanwhile Nikon
    View 6 is out so you'd want to download this update.

    Either one will take good photos up to 5x7, I'd say. Some have said you can
    get good 8x10s from them, but many say that's pushing it. I would probably
    agree with the latter.

    I was tempted by the 2500--especially with its rebate and cheaper price--but
    didn't like its shape and the way you have to wade through menus just to
    switch scene modes which the 775 & 2100 both easily do via the rotary knob.
    Further it doesn't have an optical viewfinder as a backup, only the LCD
    (although I find myself using the LCD 98% of the time anyway).

    One note: you should get plastic protection for the LCD. Neither camera
    ships with a plastic shield for it. Go to Radio Shack and ask for Catalog #
    16-3687.

    Link to a Full Review of the 775
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp775/

    A website which reviews BOTH:

    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/nikon2100.html
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2001_reviews/nikon775.html

    LRH

    "Craig Ward" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm looking buying either a 2100 or 755 in the Uk. I've found the 755 for

    £150 and the 2100 for £170 so they're roughly the same price.

    Larry R Harrison Jr, Sep 1, 2003