Nikon CoolPix 2000 - won't turn on

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Allodoxaphobia, May 6, 2004.

  1. Long story short:
    On the second day of vacation my Nikon CoolPix 2000 would not turn on.
    Not with (2 sets of) fully charged batteries.
    Not with the power module (wall wart.)

    I had last been reviewing pictures in the room -- deleting some that did
    not "meet expectations" -- and then casually turned the thing off.
    No untoward operation(s) there.
    I put the camera away.

    The next day, I took the camera out, and it would not turn on.
    Not with (2 sets of) fully charged batteries.
    Not with the power module (wall wart.)

    Did the rest of the vacation with my Logitech Pocket Digital camera.
    sigh...
    Now, 2 weeks later and back at home, it's still SNAFU.

    Anybody out there encounter this snafu? And, what was the ultimate
    problem/solution?

    Thanks in advance.
    Regards,
    Jonesy

    Allodoxaphobia, May 6, 2004

  2. Allodoxaphobia

    Gymmy Bob Guest

    Any indication the batteries were actually receiving charge? An LED turning
    red to green etc?

    Gymmy Bob, May 6, 2004

  3. Allodoxaphobia

    PSsquare Guest

    Sounds like a defective switch. My daughter had the same problem. It was
    fixed on warranty and back in about 2-1/2 weeks.

    PSsquare

    PSsquare, May 6, 2004
  4. On Thu, 06 May 2004 01:30:10 GMT, PSsquare hath writ:

    > Sounds like a defective switch. My daughter had the same problem.
    > It was fixed on warranty and back in about 2-1/2 weeks.
    >
    > PSsquare

    My thoughts, too -- since there was no other sypmtoms/problems/
    strange behavior. A little discomforting -- since I've not used
    the thing very much.

    Trying to dig out the Procedure_to_Return_a_Camera_under_Warranty
    at the Nikon web site is proving frustrating. My warranty
    my well expire before......

    Thanks for your reply.
    Regards,
    Jonesy

    Allodoxaphobia, May 6, 2004
  5. Allodoxaphobia

    Guest

    On 6 May 2004 01:43:08 GMT, Allodoxaphobia <>
    wrote:

    >On Thu, 06 May 2004 01:30:10 GMT, PSsquare hath writ:
    >
    >> Sounds like a defective switch. My daughter had the same problem.
    >> It was fixed on warranty and back in about 2-1/2 weeks.
    >>
    >> PSsquare

    >My thoughts, too -- since there was no other sypmtoms/problems/
    >strange behavior. A little discomforting -- since I've not used
    >the thing very much.
    >
    >Trying to dig out the Procedure_to_Return_a_Camera_under_Warranty
    >at the Nikon web site is proving frustrating. My warranty
    >my well expire before......
    >
    >Thanks for your reply.
    >Regards,
    >Jonesy

    Hope this isn't too obvious, but ...

    are you sure you switched it back from "review" mode to "take
    pictures" mode. Not that I've ever made that mistake myself ...

    , May 6, 2004
  6. On Thu, 06 May 2004 02:31:17 GMT, hath writ:
    > On 6 May 2004 01:43:08 GMT, Allodoxaphobia <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 06 May 2004 01:30:10 GMT, PSsquare hath writ:
    >>
    >>> Sounds like a defective switch. My daughter had the same problem.

    >>My thoughts, too -- since there was no other sypmtoms/problems/
    >>strange behavior. A little discomforting -- since I've not used
    >>the thing very much.
    >>
    >>Trying to dig out the Procedure_to_Return_a_Camera_under_Warranty
    >>at the Nikon web site is proving frustrating. My warranty
    >>my well expire before......

    > Hope this isn't too obvious, but ...
    > are you sure you switched it back from "review" mode to "take
    > pictures" mode. Not that I've ever made that mistake myself ...

    Oh, yes.... It happened 3 weeks ago -- on the 3rd day of
    our 2 1/2 week trip to Bonaire. I tried *every* combination of
    thumbwheel, pushbutton, shutter button, and ON/OFF slide switch.
    I thought maybe a jammed lens tube. But, holding it up tight
    to my ear and "turning it on", results in _no_ mechanical noise.

    To send it back for repair - under warranty -- it appears you just
    throw it in a box, with a "Proof of Purchase", a description of the
    problem, and send it off (in the U.S.) to either Melville, NY, or
    Torrance, Calif. I found that in an obscure "shipping instructions"
    PDF deep down in the Nikon web site. I can't see that one is required
    to get a "Return Authorization Number", or anything of that ilk.
    It that correct? Has anyone gone down this path before?

    Regards,
    Jonesy

    Allodoxaphobia, May 6, 2004
  7. Allodoxaphobia

    plants

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Yes indeed.

    I have discovered this same thing with my Coolpix L22. I also noted that other models of this camera have that same issue. I have not yet discovered a solution to the problem.

    plants, Oct 18, 2010
  8. Allodoxaphobia

    friagram

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    I had the same issue, fixed it.
    Would not charge via usb or wall charger, battery was in and charged.
    Problem is, they use a spring to eject the battery, but over time it pushes the battery out against a small tab and it loses connection.

    Opening the battery compartment and holding the battery in made it turn on..
    So there are a few ways you can fix it.
    You can tighten the battery compartment by screwing it in to make it tight, placing some material to put pressure on the battery (like a notecard or something to push it against the spring), or you can dissasemble the thing and bend out the battery contacts, or fiddle with the spring.

    Minor problem anyway, but it seems like this is the issue you are all having...

    friagram, Nov 2, 2011