Nikon Capture resize problem

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by 11, Nov 7, 2006.

  1. 11

    11 Guest

    I'm beginning to wish I'd never bought a Nikon digital camera. I
    downloaded a trial of Nikon Capture NX and it must be one of the worst
    pieces of software I have ever had the misfortune to use. It is so
    depressingly slo-o-o-w that I thought: I know, I'll save a NEF file as
    another version at a very low resolution and make all the changes I want
    and then apply those later to the high-res version. Hah! This POS
    software won't let me do it! I resize a NEF file and then, for example,
    try to make some lighting adjustments and hey presto, this STUPID
    software discards the low-resolution image and insists on reverting to
    the high-res image even though it has been saved as a different file,
    closed and then re-opened! This is so utterly pathetic that I want to
    sell the Nikon and buy a Canon - unless anyone can warn me that Canon
    software is equally as pathetic as the Nikon rubbish?

    I'm so glad I have encountered a trial version first. If I had paid
    money for this terrible dunceware I'd be incandescent!

    Sorry if this is a bit of a rant, but I'm up against a deadline and
    really don't have the time to wait days for Nikon Capture to render the
    simple changes to my NEF files...

    11, Nov 7, 2006

  2. "11" <> wrote in message

    > I'm beginning to wish I'd never bought a Nikon digital camera. I
    > downloaded a trial of Nikon Capture NX and it must be one of the worst
    > pieces of software I have ever had the misfortune to use. It is so
    > depressingly slo-o-o-w that I thought: I know, I'll save a NEF file as
    > another version at a very low resolution and make all the changes I want
    > and then apply those later to the high-res version. Hah! This POS software
    > won't let me do it! I resize a NEF file and then, for example, try to make
    > some lighting adjustments and hey presto, this STUPID software discards
    > the low-resolution image and insists on reverting to the high-res image
    > even though it has been saved as a different file, closed and then
    > re-opened! This is so utterly pathetic that I want to sell the Nikon and
    > buy a Canon - unless anyone can warn me that Canon software is equally as
    > pathetic as the Nikon rubbish?
    >
    > I'm so glad I have encountered a trial version first. If I had paid money
    > for this terrible dunceware I'd be incandescent!
    >
    > Sorry if this is a bit of a rant, but I'm up against a deadline and really
    > don't have the time to wait days for Nikon Capture to render the simple
    > changes to my NEF files...

    The only problem with NX I've found is that it will not work properly with
    less than 1GB ram. (Wheras 4.x would happilly chug along on 0.5GB ram)

    Another thing I've learnt is that it likes you to make adjustments in a set
    order.

    Resizing should always be the *last* thing you do, as if you resize first it
    will UNDO the resize if you go back and adjust the white balance.

    It took a bit of getting used to, but no I can see no reason to resize
    first, and just remember to do this as the final task.

    Now I've got used to NX I would not want to go back to 4.x.

    Cheers Adrian www.boliston.co.uk

    Adrian Boliston, Nov 7, 2006

  3. 11

    bmoag Guest

    Nikon NX is indeed a resource hog. If you want to use it in conjunction with
    Photoshop (both programs open simultaneously) you actually need 2 gbs of
    RAM, or can use the extra time for bathroom breaks.
    Of course if you don't read the instructions, fail to save files properly
    and keep making the same mistake repeatedly I guess that too is a problem
    with the software and not you.
    NX is overpriced but is actually a very usable raw converter in conjunction
    with PS. It opens images with a default setting that provides a more zowee
    (higher contrast/saturation) factor than the Adobe converter and the global
    controls, particularly the adjustment points, are very usable.

    bmoag, Nov 7, 2006
  4. 11

    acl Guest

    11 wrote:
    > I'm beginning to wish I'd never bought a Nikon digital camera. I
    > downloaded a trial of Nikon Capture NX and it must be one of the worst
    > pieces of software I have ever had the misfortune to use. It is so
    > depressingly slo-o-o-w that I thought: I know, I'll save a NEF file as
    > another version at a very low resolution and make all the changes I want
    > and then apply those later to the high-res version. Hah! This POS
    > software won't let me do it! I resize a NEF file and then, for example,
    > try to make some lighting adjustments and hey presto, this STUPID
    > software discards the low-resolution image and insists on reverting to
    > the high-res image even though it has been saved as a different file,
    > closed and then re-opened! This is so utterly pathetic that I want to
    > sell the Nikon and buy a Canon - unless anyone can warn me that Canon
    > software is equally as pathetic as the Nikon rubbish?
    >
    > I'm so glad I have encountered a trial version first. If I had paid
    > money for this terrible dunceware I'd be incandescent!
    >
    > Sorry if this is a bit of a rant, but I'm up against a deadline and
    > really don't have the time to wait days for Nikon Capture to render the
    > simple changes to my NEF files...

    I also found NX unworkably slow, and the image quality not good enough
    to accept the slowness. Maybe it has to do with lack of memory. At any
    rate, you can use any of several other converters to do the job:
    a) Raw Magick Lite (cheap, strange interface, one of the best image
    quality-wise (as it should, given that a single file takes around 5 min
    on my machine--the interface isn't that slow, though; only the final
    conversion itself).

    b) Adobe Camera Raw (I don't like it, hard to get what you want, not
    very good image quality)

    c) Silkypix (I tried the trial version, liked it very much, I think the
    same price as NX, faster, you may not like the interface)

    d) Capture one (the one I use, fast interface, reasonably fast
    conversions--less than a minute per file, but it doesn't matter as you
    can continue working on other files while it converts).

    e) Rawshooter essentials (I don't know if it is still available). Free,
    conversion OK, but colours dodgy and NR both heavy-handed and
    impossible to switch off.

    f) Bibble Pro: Very fast, comprehensive range of controls (well, maybe
    too many).

    I am sure there are others I forget and/or haven't tried. In short, you
    can use some other converter: None will have a slower interface.

    acl, Nov 7, 2006
  5. acl wrote:

    > I also found NX unworkably slow, and the image quality not good enough
    > to accept the slowness. Maybe it has to do with lack of memory. At any
    > rate, you can use any of several other converters to do the job:
    > a) Raw Magick Lite (cheap, strange interface, one of the best image
    > quality-wise (as it should, given that a single file takes around 5
    > min on my machine--the interface isn't that slow, though; only the
    > final conversion itself).

    You might want to try a dual Xeon. NX flies on this system.

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Nov 8, 2006
  6. 11

    11 Guest

    Adrian Boliston wrote:

    > The only problem with NX I've found is that it will not work properly with
    > less than 1GB ram.

    And this is one reason why I consider it to be poorly written software.
    Good coders would write a program that will work in half a gig or less.
    After all, the NEF files themselves are only about 6 megs! There are
    tons of photo editing packages out there that can happily edit images
    ten times that size with complex layers and alpha channels on older PCs
    with 500Mb of memory. So why can't Nikon produce software that can do
    the same? Bad coding is the obvious answer.

    > Another thing I've learnt is that it likes you to make adjustments in a set
    > order.

    And this is another reason why I consider it a very poor piece of
    software. Again, it's sloppy coding. Elegantly written software would
    allow one to work in the order one requires.

    > Resizing should always be the *last* thing you do, as if you resize first it
    > will UNDO the resize if you go back and adjust the white balance.

    This is EXACTLY the problem with forcing us to use the program in order.
    I NEED to work on a low resolution image FIRST, (so that this bloatware
    can actually do something in under a month per image... ). THEN I want
    to save these settings as a preset and apply them later to the high-res
    image while I go and have a coffee. (Note to Nikon: If you're going to
    write bloatware then at least allow people to work in a way that allows
    them to actually get things done!)

    Nikon is not following a standard computing convention here. If I save a
    TIFF file at 72 dpi then re-open it, it stays at 72dpi. The NEF files
    don't. NEF is a bit like the old Harry Enfield character saying, "Oh you
    don't want to do it like that..."

    > It took a bit of getting used to, but no I can see no reason to resize
    > first,

    Please see above.

    I think it's a shame that I would have to buy a brand new PC with tons
    of RAM, just because Nikon can't write a decent piece of Windows
    software. This is the only piece of software that runs so badly on my PC
    which, when I bought it a few years back, was one of the fastest
    machines available at the time.

    I must say that Capture NX looks like a kludgey port of, I assume, Mac
    software.

    Thanks for your post Adrian.

    Cheers,

    11, Nov 8, 2006
  7. 11

    11 Guest

    bmoag wrote:
    > Nikon NX is indeed a resource hog.

    tell me about it...

    If you want to use it in conjunction with
    > Photoshop (both programs open simultaneously) you actually need 2 gbs of
    > RAM,

    Ouch!

    > Of course if you don't read the instructions, fail to save files properly
    > and keep making the same mistake repeatedly I guess that too is a problem
    > with the software and not you.

    If many other software makers can write software that can cope with
    images ten or twenty times the size of NEF files without needing to buy
    a new computer with tons of RAM, why can't Nikon?

    NEF is a closed proprietary format, so would I be wrong in assuming that
    one might actually be forced to use Capture if one wants all the
    features? I'm new enough to this digital malarkey to be able to walk
    away from Nikon and change to Canon if their solution is any better - it
    might actually be cheaper than a new PC if I sell the Nikon and buy a
    Canon!

    11, Nov 8, 2006
  8. 11

    11 Guest

    acl wrote:

    > I also found NX unworkably slow, and the image quality not good enough
    > to accept the slowness. Maybe it has to do with lack of memory. At any
    > rate, you can use any of several other converters to do the job:
    > a) Raw Magick Lite (cheap, strange interface, one of the best image
    > quality-wise (as it should, given that a single file takes around 5 min
    > on my machine--the interface isn't that slow, though; only the final
    > conversion itself).
    >
    > b) Adobe Camera Raw (I don't like it, hard to get what you want, not
    > very good image quality)
    >
    > c) Silkypix (I tried the trial version, liked it very much, I think the
    > same price as NX, faster, you may not like the interface)
    >
    > d) Capture one (the one I use, fast interface, reasonably fast
    > conversions--less than a minute per file, but it doesn't matter as you
    > can continue working on other files while it converts).
    >
    > e) Rawshooter essentials (I don't know if it is still available). Free,
    > conversion OK, but colours dodgy and NR both heavy-handed and
    > impossible to switch off.
    >
    > f) Bibble Pro: Very fast, comprehensive range of controls (well, maybe
    > too many).
    >
    > I am sure there are others I forget and/or haven't tried. In short, you
    > can use some other converter: None will have a slower interface.

    Many thanks for your helpful post, acl. I'll look into your suggestions.
    As I'm new to this, I had assumed that I was kind of forced to use
    Capture because of the NEF format being closed to other developers, but
    if this is not the case then that'd be great news.

    11, Nov 8, 2006
  9. 11 wrote:
    > acl wrote:
    >
    >> I also found NX unworkably slow, and the image quality not good
    >> enough to accept the slowness. Maybe it has to do with lack of
    >> memory. At any rate, you can use any of several other converters to
    >> do the job:
    >> a) Raw Magick Lite (cheap, strange interface, one of the best image
    >> quality-wise (as it should, given that a single file takes around 5
    >> min on my machine--the interface isn't that slow, though; only the
    >> final conversion itself).
    >>
    >> b) Adobe Camera Raw (I don't like it, hard to get what you want, not
    >> very good image quality)
    >>
    >> c) Silkypix (I tried the trial version, liked it very much, I think
    >> the same price as NX, faster, you may not like the interface)
    >>
    >> d) Capture one (the one I use, fast interface, reasonably fast
    >> conversions--less than a minute per file, but it doesn't matter as
    >> you can continue working on other files while it converts).
    >>
    >> e) Rawshooter essentials (I don't know if it is still available).
    >> Free, conversion OK, but colours dodgy and NR both heavy-handed and
    >> impossible to switch off.
    >>
    >> f) Bibble Pro: Very fast, comprehensive range of controls (well,
    >> maybe too many).
    >>
    >> I am sure there are others I forget and/or haven't tried. In short,
    >> you can use some other converter: None will have a slower interface.

    > Many thanks for your helpful post, acl. I'll look into your
    > suggestions. As I'm new to this, I had assumed that I was kind of
    > forced to use Capture because of the NEF format being closed to other
    > developers, but if this is not the case then that'd be great news.

    Photoshop CS2 has a NEF plug-in, and gives you the option of using this OR
    the Photoshop's own RAW setup when you load a NEF image. (It defaults to the
    Nikon plug-in, so you have to remove this from the plugins folder to use
    Photoshop RAW). I still occasionally use the outdated version 4.2 Nikon
    Capture software with only 384 MB of ram, but prefer Photoshop.

    Dennis.

    Dennis Pogson, Nov 8, 2006
  10. On Wed, 08 Nov 2006 09:33:27 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Dennis Pogson"
    <> wrote:

    >Photoshop CS2 has a NEF plug-in, and gives you the option of using this OR
    >the Photoshop's own RAW setup when you load a NEF image. (It defaults to the
    >Nikon plug-in, so you have to remove this from the plugins folder to use
    >Photoshop RAW). I still occasionally use the outdated version 4.2 Nikon
    >Capture software with only 384 MB of ram, but prefer Photoshop.

    I believe you mean the Nikon software installed the NEF plug-in when you
    installed it. It is not part of CS2. All the Nikon programs I've tried in
    the past (Capture, NikonView, PictureProject) had this annoying default
    behavior. This plug-in provides only the most minimal of adjustments and
    makes question why bother.
    --
    Ed Ruf ()

    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Nov 8, 2006
  11. 11

    Panos Guest

    On an Intel-based Mac, Nikon Capture NX does not run natively but under
    the emulator that MacOS X provides. Take the inefficient code of this
    application and to that add the emulation overhead. Can you imagine how
    slow this thing runs on a Mac? :)

    Still, the U-Point technology it features is superb for manipulating an
    image.

    Panos, Nov 8, 2006
  12. Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!) wrote:
    > On Wed, 08 Nov 2006 09:33:27 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Dennis Pogson"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >> Photoshop CS2 has a NEF plug-in, and gives you the option of using
    >> this OR the Photoshop's own RAW setup when you load a NEF image. (It
    >> defaults to the Nikon plug-in, so you have to remove this from the
    >> plugins folder to use Photoshop RAW). I still occasionally use the
    >> outdated version 4.2 Nikon Capture software with only 384 MB of ram,
    >> but prefer Photoshop.

    > I believe you mean the Nikon software installed the NEF plug-in when
    > you installed it. It is not part of CS2. All the Nikon programs I've
    > tried in the past (Capture, NikonView, PictureProject) had this
    > annoying default behavior. This plug-in provides only the most
    > minimal of adjustments and makes question why bother.

    Sorry, I should have made it clear I installed CS2 first and yes, Capture
    installed the plug-in without me asking.

    Dennis Pogson, Nov 8, 2006
  13. 11

    11 Guest

    Panos wrote:
    > On an Intel-based Mac, Nikon Capture NX does not run natively but under
    > the emulator that MacOS X provides. Take the inefficient code of this
    > application and to that add the emulation overhead. Can you imagine how
    > slow this thing runs on a Mac? :)

    Sadly, through experience, yes I can. :)
    Nikon is, I believe, if you'll pardon the expression, shooting itself
    in the foot by releasing such poorly written software. It's a shame,
    because the camera itself seems a great little piece of kit.

    > Still, the U-Point technology it features is superb for manipulating an
    > image.

    I'm sorry, but I'm not young enough to wait for ever for this software
    to demonstrate that. ;-)

    11, Nov 8, 2006