    I bought Nikon NX last year and use it regularly.
    But since upgrading to Vista, I cannot even install it!
    Any help would be appreciated.

    Graham, Feb 13, 2007

  2. Graham

    Hal Lowe Guest

    On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 19:31:46 +0000, Graham <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >Has anyone managed to install Nikon Capture NX on a
    >Vista operating system yet?
    >I bought Nikon NX last year and use it regularly.
    >But since upgrading to Vista, I cannot even install it!
    > Any help would be appreciated.

    Check the Nkon Web site. I just installed the updated version of
    "Picture Project". Vista compatibility was listed on the changes.

    Regards,

    Hal Lowe

    http://www.cafepress.com/halogos (unique logo t-shirts, mugs & more)
    http://www.halowe-graphics.com/photo.html (digiPhoto)
    http://www.halowe-graphics.com/tinc?key=0TmhZVQ5&formname=web_email

    Hal Lowe, Feb 13, 2007

  3. Graham

    gpaleo Guest

    Ï "Graham" <> Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá

    > Hi,
    > Has anyone managed to install Nikon Capture NX on a
    > Vista operating system yet?
    > I bought Nikon NX last year and use it regularly.
    > But since upgrading to Vista, I cannot even install it!
    > Any help would be appreciated.

    Apparently a VISTA upgrade to NX in on the way, any day now.

    gpaleo, Feb 13, 2007
  4. Graham

    gowanoh Guest

    Nikon's official position is that they do not yet support Vista.
    Epson does not yet support Vista for some of its high end products,
    including the R1800 and has no plans to support anything more than one
    product cycle old (the Epson web site disingenuously says that Vista does
    not support these products).
    None of my calibration devices have Vista drivers and the manufacturers
    categorically state they have no timetable for supporting Vista but will
    issue drivers only if they perceive there is a demand.
    Microsoft will force everyone eventually to Vista but as of now there is no
    rational reason to use Vista.

    gowanoh, Feb 13, 2007
  5. Graham

    J. Clarke Guest

    On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 22:50:58 GMT, "gowanoh" <>
    wrote:

    >Nikon's official position is that they do not yet support Vista.
    >Epson does not yet support Vista for some of its high end products,
    >including the R1800 and has no plans to support anything more than one
    >product cycle old (the Epson web site disingenuously says that Vista does
    >not support these products).
    >None of my calibration devices have Vista drivers and the manufacturers
    >categorically state they have no timetable for supporting Vista but will
    >issue drivers only if they perceive there is a demand.
    >Microsoft will force everyone eventually to Vista but as of now there is no
    >rational reason to use Vista.

    It never ceases to amaze me how clueless hardware manufacturers are.
    "issue drivers only if they percieve there is a demand". Geez, what
    frigging LOONs. The only way there's not going to be a demand is if
    their lack of support drives their existing and potential customers to
    dump them and go with a company that actually supports its products.

    J. Clarke, Feb 13, 2007
  6. Graham

    frederick Guest

    gowanoh wrote:
    > Nikon's official position is that they do not yet support Vista.
    > Epson does not yet support Vista for some of its high end products,
    > including the R1800 and has no plans to support anything more than one
    > product cycle old (the Epson web site disingenuously says that Vista does
    > not support these products).
    > None of my calibration devices have Vista drivers and the manufacturers
    > categorically state they have no timetable for supporting Vista but will
    > issue drivers only if they perceive there is a demand.
    > Microsoft will force everyone eventually to Vista but as of now there is no
    > rational reason to use Vista.

    Epson R1800 Vista drivers are available from Epson's Japan site (for
    PX-G5000) and Australia (R1800).
    I agree - there's no rational reason to use Vista unless it comes with a
    new PC. People are seldom rational when it comes to gadgets.

    frederick, Feb 14, 2007
  7. Graham

    Just D Guest

    "frederick"
    > I agree - there's no rational reason to use Vista unless it comes with a
    > new PC. People are seldom rational when it comes to gadgets.

    The golden rule says - everything comes from M$ should wait for at least the
    second service pack. :) M$ is using the whole world as beta-testers offering
    very bad written wet products with many bugs.

    As for Vista I'd never install and/or use it on my machines, but I'm afraid
    that I will have to do that just because I need to know the troubles that
    our customers can get from this system "thinking for us". Sound like M$
    always knows what you really want to do on your machine, but with this Vista
    they went much further and can shut your devices or the whole machine down
    just remotely. Very convenient, but for whom exactly?

    From my point of view Linux is much better but it has a huge problem - over
    150 different systems (at least it was a few years ago), all called Linux,
    with only few different kernels, and a lot of different, similar or not,
    applications with the same or almost same functionality inside, and each
    team tells that their version is the best. :)

    WinXP was relatively good before M$ started sending their service packs and
    fixes in December 2006, that crashed a lot of computers, introduced a lot of
    bugs and new issues related to the latest fixes. Btw, they published 17 more
    new fixes just a few hours ago today, new bugs? It's not like math, two
    minuses will not give one plus. :(

    Win2K is more or less stable but its built-in cache is not so good as in
    WinXP even home version. Pro and Servers are much better. Also it has
    several differences and I won't install it anymore just for these reasons.
    So the possible range of window-like systems is limited with XP now. Other
    people can enjoy with FreeBSD, Linux of different versions, and probably a
    or 2 %% with IBM OS/2 which is still alive but looks like a dead child.
    Unix? I even don't consider it for the home based machines.

    Did I miss something important? 98/ME - too old, ME is not stable at all,
    98 - no comments, etc.

    Just D.

    Just D, Feb 14, 2007
  8. Graham

    J. Clarke Guest

    On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 17:47:13 -0700, "Just D" <> wrote:

    >"frederick"
    >> I agree - there's no rational reason to use Vista unless it comes with a
    >> new PC. People are seldom rational when it comes to gadgets.

    >The golden rule says - everything comes from M$ should wait for at least the
    >second service pack. :) M$ is using the whole world as beta-testers offering
    >very bad written wet products with many bugs.

    Agreed.

    >As for Vista I'd never install and/or use it on my machines, but I'm afraid
    >that I will have to do that just because I need to know the troubles that
    >our customers can get from this system "thinking for us". Sound like M$
    >always knows what you really want to do on your machine, but with this Vista
    >they went much further and can shut your devices or the whole machine down
    >just remotely. Very convenient, but for whom exactly?

    I put it on the machine that I use as part of the entertainment
    center. So far no troubles with the OS but many apps have trouble
    with the new security settings.

    >From my point of view Linux is much better but it has a huge problem - over
    >150 different systems (at least it was a few years ago), all called Linux,
    >with only few different kernels, and a lot of different, similar or not,
    >applications with the same or almost same functionality inside, and each
    >team tells that their version is the best. :)

    There's that, and limited hardware support (people are complaining
    about no Vista drivers for their color management hardware and
    printers--try finding them for the same devices for Linux).

    >WinXP was relatively good before M$ started sending their service packs and
    >fixes in December 2006, that crashed a lot of computers, introduced a lot of
    >bugs and new issues related to the latest fixes. Btw, they published 17 more
    >new fixes just a few hours ago today, new bugs? It's not like math, two
    >minuses will not give one plus. :(

    Most of the XP service pack problems I've seen were the result of
    changed security defaults. Microsoft has been telling software
    developers how to design for the NT security model since 1995--looks
    like they have to be bludgeoned over the head before they get the
    hint.

    I suspect that any recent fixes have been for Vista compatibility
    problems across a network.

    J. Clarke, Feb 14, 2007
  9. Graham

    frederick Guest

    Just D wrote:
    > "frederick"
    >> I agree - there's no rational reason to use Vista unless it comes with a
    >> new PC. People are seldom rational when it comes to gadgets.

    > The golden rule says - everything comes from M$ should wait for at least the
    > second service pack. :) M$ is using the whole world as beta-testers offering
    > very bad written wet products with many bugs.
    >
    > As for Vista I'd never install and/or use it on my machines, but I'm afraid
    > that I will have to do that just because I need to know the troubles that
    > our customers can get from this system "thinking for us". Sound like M$
    > always knows what you really want to do on your machine, but with this Vista
    > they went much further and can shut your devices or the whole machine down
    > just remotely. Very convenient, but for whom exactly?
    >
    > From my point of view Linux is much better but it has a huge problem - over
    > 150 different systems (at least it was a few years ago), all called Linux,
    > with only few different kernels, and a lot of different, similar or not,
    > applications with the same or almost same functionality inside, and each
    > team tells that their version is the best. :)
    >
    > WinXP was relatively good before M$ started sending their service packs and
    > fixes in December 2006, that crashed a lot of computers, introduced a lot of
    > bugs and new issues related to the latest fixes. Btw, they published 17 more
    > new fixes just a few hours ago today, new bugs? It's not like math, two
    > minuses will not give one plus. :(
    >
    > Win2K is more or less stable but its built-in cache is not so good as in
    > WinXP even home version. Pro and Servers are much better. Also it has
    > several differences and I won't install it anymore just for these reasons.
    > So the possible range of window-like systems is limited with XP now. Other
    > people can enjoy with FreeBSD, Linux of different versions, and probably a
    > or 2 %% with IBM OS/2 which is still alive but looks like a dead child.
    > Unix? I even don't consider it for the home based machines.
    >
    > Did I miss something important? 98/ME - too old, ME is not stable at all,
    > 98 - no comments, etc.
    >
    > Just D.

    Yes - IMO you missed something. When I go near a computer shop with my
    wife, she looks at the bigger Imacs, and just tells me to get one.
    Perhaps her motivation is interior decor, but I am running out of
    reasons to resist. PCs are becoming a pain in the neck.

    frederick, Feb 14, 2007
  10. Graham

    Bill Guest

    "Just D" <> wrote in message
    > "frederick"
    >> I agree - there's no rational reason to use Vista unless it comes
    >> with a new PC. People are seldom rational when it comes to gadgets.

    I agree that many casual users have no need to upgrade to Vista unless
    they buy a new computer. But many people want the improved memory
    management and a 64-bit version that actually works.

    > The golden rule says - everything comes from M$ should wait for at
    > least the second service pack. :) M$ is using the whole world as
    > beta-testers offering very bad written wet products with many bugs.

    Unfortunately beta testing can't cover everything.

    And Capture NX will run in Vista 32-bit with a tiny bit of knowledge
    about the issues. But since NX was out long before Vista, it's not
    unexpected that there is a compatibility issue, which Nikon is in the
    process of correcting.

    > As for Vista I'd never install and/or use it on my machines, but I'm
    > afraid that I will have to do that just because I need to know the
    > troubles that our customers can get from this system "thinking for
    > us". Sound like M$

    I've been testing Vista for months and at first I wasn't impressed. But
    since about build 5744 (RC2) I've been really pleased with it. I have
    the 64-bit edition installed and it's a pleasure to use. It also
    supports all of my 1-yr old hardware out-of-the-box without any extra
    drivers.

    I've been waiting to buy a new laptop too, and it'll have Vista on it. I
    wouldn't buy a laptop without it, regardless of clearance prices.

    > always knows what you really want to do on your machine, but with this
    > Vista they went much further and can shut your devices or the whole
    > machine down just remotely. Very convenient, but for whom exactly?

    ???

    First MS can't shut down your devices or the whole machine without your
    help. That's just FUD. And if remote access is disabled, MS can't do
    anything even with your help.

    Unless you're referring to the anti-piracy feature that reduces
    functionality of pirated or non-activated systems, in which case it's
    irrelevant.

    > From my point of view Linux is much better but it has a huge problem

    Linux also has a long way to go before it will be a mainstream operating
    system for two reasons. First it's way too hard for typical users to
    learn and tweak, and second it still won't run many of the mainstream
    Windows apps that are required in business and personal use (I've been
    testing Ubuntu v6.x and openSUSE v10.x here for comparison, so I have
    personal experience with Linux).

    > WinXP was relatively good before M$ started sending their service
    > packs and fixes in December 2006, that crashed a lot of computers,
    > introduced a lot of bugs and new issues related to the latest fixes.
    > Btw, they published 17 more new fixes just a few hours ago today, new
    > bugs? It's not like math, two minuses will not give one plus. :(

    New code = new bugs. Fix one bug with some new code, and it may
    introduce or expose another bug or two. Happens all the time, even with
    Linux.

    > Did I miss something important?

    Yes, I think you did. Vista is a lot better than XP was when it was
    first released. I beta tested XP and Vista, and Vista was more stable
    and came with more native support thanks to DVD discs instead of CDs.

    And we all had the same problems with needing new drivers, updated
    programs, and even unsupported hardware that was never compatible with
    XP (my webcam is useless in XP since drivers were never released for
    it). It's the same story I hear every time a new operating system is
    released. Get over it.

    If you don't feel the need to upgrade, then don't. XP is still a viable
    operating system and will be for years (I'm using it on my older
    computer to crunch data and won't upgrade that one). But if you want
    better functionality with more built-in software and support, Vista is
    the way to go.

    Bill, Feb 14, 2007
  11. Graham

    Just D Guest

    "frederick"
    > Yes - IMO you missed something. When I go near a computer shop with my
    > wife, she looks at the bigger Imacs, and just tells me to get one. Perhaps
    > her motivation is interior decor, but I am running out of reasons to
    > resist. PCs are becoming a pain in the neck.

    Women always look at the decor regardless of the content and functionality
    :) Nature keeps it balanced.

    Re: Macs - aren't they using FreeBSD? Also I didn't discuss machines, just
    OS.

    Just D.

    Just D, Feb 14, 2007
  12. Graham

    frederick Guest

    Just D wrote:
    > "frederick"
    >> Yes - IMO you missed something. When I go near a computer shop with my
    >> wife, she looks at the bigger Imacs, and just tells me to get one. Perhaps
    >> her motivation is interior decor, but I am running out of reasons to
    >> resist. PCs are becoming a pain in the neck.

    > Women always look at the decor regardless of the content and functionality
    > :) Nature keeps it balanced.
    >
    > Re: Macs - aren't they using FreeBSD? Also I didn't discuss machines, just
    > OS.

    Something like that.

    BTW my comment that PCs are becoming a pain in the neck was based more
    on hardware than OS. Once if you wanted something good, it was fun to
    assemble it yourself, with individual components chosen with the
    possibility for a path for future upgrading in mind. It was even
    possible to get excited about a new OS.
    Now I expect I'll do what nearly everyone else does. Buy it, use it,
    bin it.

    frederick, Feb 14, 2007