Nikon Capture download speed

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by claus, Apr 6, 2005.

  1. claus

    claus Guest

    Hi, everybody!

    I am using a D70 and hoped to get some kind of live-review of the
    images taken on an attached laptop. To my dismay I had to find that
    when I take a shot (either on camera or via capture) it takes capture
    3s to find out there's something new and further 2 to 7 seconds (basic
    to raw) to get the data. Showing still takes it's time, so we end up
    at 12seconds with the image viewing.

    This seems to be quite independent of the system, tried on several PCs
    and Laptops from USB1.1 P3@600MHz to USB2.0 P-@1800MHz.

    Nikon support told me D70 only transmits at 12mbit/sec, while D2X
    pushes at 480mbit/sec. With 12mbit a 5MB raw image should take
    (8*5)/12=3.3seconds to transmit, 1MB basic quality jpg 0.8s. But 12
    seconds differs still widely from 3.3seconds.

    Has anyone of you out there experienced different times? I hoped to
    get myself a laptop and use it as enhanced control in- and outdoors,
    but with such long durations it's not that attractive to me (taking
    into concern the weight of a laptop :)).

    Any data or opinions?

    Thank you.
    Claus

    claus, Apr 6, 2005

  2. claus

    Destin_FL Guest

    I find EVERYTHING about Nikon Capture to be painfully, excrutiatingly slow....
    and everything about Corel's RawShooter to be amazingly fast.

    http://www.pixmantec.com/products/rawshooter_essentials.html

    Tim

    Destin_FL, Apr 6, 2005

  3. claus

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 13:20:36 -0500, in rec.photo.digital "Destin_FL"
    <> wrote:

    >I find EVERYTHING about Nikon Capture to be painfully, excrutiatingly slow....
    >and everything about Corel's RawShooter to be amazingly fast.
    >
    >http://www.pixmantec.com/products/rawshooter_essentials.html

    If you like it so much, you might wish to credit the correct company.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
    http://EdwardGRuf.com

    Ed Ruf, Apr 6, 2005
  4. claus

    paul Guest

    Destin_FL wrote:

    > I find EVERYTHING about Nikon Capture to be painfully, excrutiatingly slow....
    > and everything about Corel's RawShooter to be amazingly fast.
    >
    > http://www.pixmantec.com/products/rawshooter_essentials.html
    >
    > Tim

    So that includes remote capture utility? I assume it would not be able
    to access camera settings, just trigger the shutter?

    I think the way to go with Capture is to shoot basic jpeg & open with
    Irfanview or ACDsee or your choice to evaluate the image then switch to
    RAW when you're happy. Not much latitude if you change your mind. I've
    also shot RAW + basic & preview the jpeg while the RAW downloads. Either
    way I don't let Capture open it in the Nikon viewer other than the
    thumbnail on the progress box.

    It's very cool having full control of the camera's settings but akward
    to go back & forth to the camera on a tripod to change the framing &
    back to the laptop. If you could have live preview & control zoom & pan
    it'd be a dream <grin>. Automatic lens-changer would be nice too.

    It's also hard to see the laptop screen in most lighting conditions
    without hiding under a tent or umbrella.

    paul, Apr 7, 2005