    Thanks,

    Gregor

    , Oct 23, 2006

  2. cjcampbell Guest

    wrote:
    > You might have already solved this problem.
    >
    > To speed things up with the rather slow Nikon Capture 4.4, I got a new
    > computer with a few GB of memory running WinXP x64. Now the issues:
    >
    > 1) The trial verison works fine.
    > 2) My old Nikon Capture 4.1 does not install. After running install in
    > XP compatibilty mode, I was able to install the SW, but it does not run
    > and hence I cannot install the old-style license key.
    > 3) The new version 4.4 does not understand the old-style license key.
    > 4) In the US, Nikon seems to have terminated all its e-mail accounts
    > for customer support.
    >
    > Great. I have to buy a new license since Nikon does not support 64-bit
    > Windows issues at all. Downgrading back to 32-bit XP is certainly a
    > solution. But I would like to keep the 64-bit version installed. Buy a
    > new license key for $99 is another option.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Great, isn't it? You could re-install W32, install Capture 4.1, upgrade
    to 4.4, then reinstall W64 if it does not force you to erase your disk.

    Alternatively, if you really do have to buy a license key, get Capture
    NX instead.

    cjcampbell, Oct 23, 2006

  3. On 23 Oct 2006 01:09:54 -0700, in rec.photo.digital
    wrote:

    >You might have already solved this problem.
    >
    >To speed things up with the rather slow Nikon Capture 4.4, I got a new
    >computer with a few GB of memory running WinXP x64. Now the issues:
    >
    >1) The trial verison works fine.
    >2) My old Nikon Capture 4.1 does not install. After running install in
    >XP compatibilty mode, I was able to install the SW, but it does not run
    >and hence I cannot install the old-style license key.
    >3) The new version 4.4 does not understand the old-style license key.
    >4) In the US, Nikon seems to have terminated all its e-mail accounts
    >for customer support.
    >
    >Great. I have to buy a new license since Nikon does not support 64-bit
    >Windows issues at all. Downgrading back to 32-bit XP is certainly a
    >solution. But I would like to keep the 64-bit version installed. Buy a
    >new license key for $99 is another option.
    >
    >Any ideas?

    Use the updater instead of the full version. But you'll need to run the
    4.2.x updater and then the 4.4.x updater.

    http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bi...nNlYXJjaF9ubCZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=&p_topview=1
    http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bi...nNlYXJjaF9ubCZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=&p_topview=1
    --
    Ed Ruf ()

    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Oct 23, 2006
  4. Ed Ruf Guest

    wrote:

    >Great. I have to buy a new license since Nikon does not support 64-bit
    >Windows issues at all. Downgrading back to 32-bit XP is certainly a
    >solution. But I would like to keep the 64-bit version installed. Buy a
    >new license key for $99 is another option.
    >
    >Any ideas?

    Also, if you have a real 4.x license, you should be able to just call
    Nikon to get a valid one for 4.4. Check the tech support web site
    info for the 4.4 updater. I seem to vaguely remember this.
    -
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://EdwardGRuf.com

    Ed Ruf, Oct 23, 2006
  5. bmoag Guest

    You might consider investigating the massive incompatibility issues between
    Win64 and 32 bit Windows programs. A large number of multimedia, video,
    CD/DVD authoring programs simply will not run or will not run properly on
    Win64. Antivirus and other tools are even more problematic with great
    variations in compatibility relating to even minor hardware variations.
    I am not aware of any color calibration devices with Win64 drivers either
    although perhaps you have found one? One can transfer a monitor profile
    created in Win32 but there is no certainty it will be accurate because you
    are running a different video driver with Win64.
    The reality is that there is absolutely no benefit to running Win64 outside
    of specific server applications, because of its larger memory range, for
    desktop use.
    Reinvent that wheel for yourself.

    bmoag, Oct 23, 2006
  6. bmoag wrote:
    > You might consider investigating the massive incompatibility issues
    > between Win64 and 32 bit Windows programs. A large number of
    > multimedia, video, CD/DVD authoring programs simply will not run or
    > will not run properly on Win64. Antivirus and other tools are even
    > more problematic with great variations in compatibility relating to
    > even minor hardware variations.
    > I am not aware of any color calibration devices with Win64 drivers
    > either although perhaps you have found one? One can transfer a
    > monitor profile created in Win32 but there is no certainty it will be
    > accurate because you are running a different video driver with Win64.
    > The reality is that there is absolutely no benefit to running Win64
    > outside of specific server applications, because of its larger memory
    > range, for desktop use.
    > Reinvent that wheel for yourself.

    It's called progress! Avoid at all costs! What's so special about Nikon
    Capture anyway? I am managing to live without it since my 30-day trial
    expired. Get a life!

    Dennis Pogson, Oct 24, 2006
  7. Ed Ruf Guest

    On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 11:26:32 -0400, in rec.photo.digital Ed Ruf
    <> wrote:

    >On 23 Oct 2006 01:09:54 -0700, in rec.photo.digital
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Great. I have to buy a new license since Nikon does not support 64-bit
    >>Windows issues at all. Downgrading back to 32-bit XP is certainly a
    >>solution. But I would like to keep the 64-bit version installed. Buy a
    >>new license key for $99 is another option.
    >>
    >>Any ideas?

    >Also, if you have a real 4.x license, you should be able to just call
    >Nikon to get a valid one for 4.4. Check the tech support web site
    >info for the 4.4 updater. I seem to vaguely remember this.

    I went and checked my XP64 PC and I was incorrect in thinking the
    updaters worked. However, explicitly stated in the readme file was a
    statement to contact Nikon Tech Support for a new format unlock code
    when going to 4.4
    Ed Ruf ()

    Ed Ruf, Oct 24, 2006
  8. > On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 11:26:32 -0400, in rec.photo.digital Ed Ruf

    > I went and checked my XP64 PC and I was incorrect in thinking the
    > updaters worked. However, explicitly stated in the readme file was a
    > statement to contact Nikon Tech Support for a new format unlock code
    > when going to 4.4

    It will work with your original code you used with the first version of
    Capture (v4.0) you got with your D70. The simple workaround to this is you
    have to install each update in sequence. You miss one and it won't let you
    update or enter your license code until you properly install all updates. I
    was smart enough to archive all my updates.

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Oct 24, 2006
  9. Ed Ruf Guest

    On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 17:05:26 -0400, in rec.photo.digital Rita Ä
    Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:

    >> On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 11:26:32 -0400, in rec.photo.digital Ed Ruf

    >> I went and checked my XP64 PC and I was incorrect in thinking the
    >> updaters worked. However, explicitly stated in the readme file was a
    >> statement to contact Nikon Tech Support for a new format unlock code
    >> when going to 4.4

    >It will work with your original code you used with the first version of
    >Capture (v4.0) you got with your D70. The simple workaround to this is you
    >have to install each update in sequence. You miss one and it won't let you
    >update or enter your license code until you properly install all updates. I
    >was smart enough to archive all my updates.

    I have then too. However, as the OP has found and I reconfirmed in my
    hazy memory you can't get an earlier version to run even enough to
    enter the unlock code under XP64.
    Ed Ruf ()

    Ed Ruf, Oct 25, 2006
  10. Guest

    Thanks for all the input.

    What worked for me is to continue trying Nikon's customer support page.
    I finally reached (via e-mail) a friendly employee you told me what to
    do. I had to submit a picture of the license card with a request to
    have a numerical passcode issued. After entering this passcode, NC
    4.4.2 works great on WinXP x64.

    I just read that also PS CS2 uses 3GB plus an additional 1GB for macros
    etc. when recognizing an x64 architecture. Additionally, monitor
    profiles and printer profiles work without an issue. Epson has even
    updated their drivers for x64 for their photo printers. - Well, I am
    glad that I upgraded. It seems that x64 is no longer the future. It's
    the present. Next stop, get a beta of PS for x64. I assume that it soon
    will be announced around the time when Vista for x64 hits the market.
    According to MS$, Vista supports a decent model for capturing and
    managing profiles.

    Gregor

    wrote:
    > You might have already solved this problem.
    >
    > To speed things up with the rather slow Nikon Capture 4.4, I got a new
    > computer with a few GB of memory running WinXP x64. Now the issues:
    >
    > 1) The trial verison works fine.
    > 2) My old Nikon Capture 4.1 does not install. After running install in
    > XP compatibilty mode, I was able to install the SW, but it does not run
    > and hence I cannot install the old-style license key.
    > 3) The new version 4.4 does not understand the old-style license key.
    > 4) In the US, Nikon seems to have terminated all its e-mail accounts
    > for customer support.
    >
    > Great. I have to buy a new license since Nikon does not support 64-bit
    > Windows issues at all. Downgrading back to 32-bit XP is certainly a
    > solution. But I would like to keep the 64-bit version installed. Buy a
    > new license key for $99 is another option.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Gregor

    , Oct 26, 2006
  11. Ed Ruf Guest

    On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 15:53:30 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "bmoag"
    <> wrote:

    >You might consider investigating the massive incompatibility issues between
    >Win64 and 32 bit Windows programs. A large number of multimedia, video,
    >CD/DVD authoring programs simply will not run or will not run properly on
    >Win64. Antivirus and other tools are even more problematic with great
    >variations in compatibility relating to even minor hardware variations.
    >I am not aware of any color calibration devices with Win64 drivers either
    >although perhaps you have found one?

    Colorvison release updated copied of Spyder2Pro and Spyder2Express
    software at the end of August with XP64 bit support.
    http://www.colorvision.com/sup_dl-upgrades.shtml
    I've had no problems whatsoever running NAV64bit either.

    -
    Ed Ruf ()

    Ed Ruf, Oct 27, 2006