    Done the usual uninstall, registry cleanout, reboot, reinstall etc.

    Suggestions ??

    Bernard.
    Bernard Rother, Nov 20, 2007

  2. Bernard Rother

    PCs Rule Guest

    "Bernard Rother" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I've been trying to install Nikon Capture 4.1 , the trial version which
    > came with the D70. It installs & requires a reboot. Trying to run the
    > program results in a BSOD & reboots instantly. It's too quick to read any
    > error messages. The PC is rock solid otherwise. Core 2 Duo, 2 gigs ram,
    > nVidia 8800GTS, Intel mobo etc etc.
    >
    > I was hoping to start working with NEF files and uploading custom curves
    > etc. with the USB cable. Set the USB setting in the D70 to PTP .. still no
    > go.
    >
    > It hasn't been installed before so the 30 day period has not yet expired.
    >
    > Done the usual uninstall, registry cleanout, reboot, reinstall etc.
    >
    > Suggestions ??
    >
    > Bernard.

    Look in the event viewer to see if it indicates what your problem is.
    PCs Rule, Nov 20, 2007

  3. Bernard Rother

    Guest

    On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 15:31:24 +0200, in rec.photo.digital Bernard Rother
    <> wrote:

    >I've been trying to install Nikon Capture 4.1 , the trial version which
    >came with the D70. It installs & requires a reboot. Trying to run the
    >program results in a BSOD & reboots instantly. It's too quick to read
    >any error messages. The PC is rock solid otherwise. Core 2 Duo, 2 gigs
    >ram, nVidia 8800GTS, Intel mobo etc etc.
    >
    >I was hoping to start working with NEF files and uploading custom curves
    >etc. with the USB cable. Set the USB setting in the D70 to PTP .. still
    >no go.
    >
    >It hasn't been installed before so the 30 day period has not yet expired.
    >
    >Done the usual uninstall, registry cleanout, reboot, reinstall etc.
    >
    >Suggestions ??

    Sounds like you might be trying to run it in a 64 bit version of Windoze.
    if that is the case, there is no solution.
    , Nov 20, 2007
  4. Bernard Rother

    ray Guest

    On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 15:31:24 +0200, Bernard Rother wrote:

    > I've been trying to install Nikon Capture 4.1 , the trial version which
    > came with the D70. It installs & requires a reboot. Trying to run the
    > program results in a BSOD & reboots instantly. It's too quick to read
    > any error messages. The PC is rock solid otherwise. Core 2 Duo, 2 gigs
    > ram, nVidia 8800GTS, Intel mobo etc etc.
    >
    > I was hoping to start working with NEF files and uploading custom curves
    > etc. with the USB cable. Set the USB setting in the D70 to PTP .. still
    > no go.
    >
    > It hasn't been installed before so the 30 day period has not yet expired.
    >
    > Done the usual uninstall, registry cleanout, reboot, reinstall etc.
    >
    > Suggestions ??
    >
    > Bernard.

    I use 'ufraw' (based on 'dcraw') to read my raw files and do basic
    processing.
    ray, Nov 20, 2007
  5. Bernard Rother

    <> wrote:

    >I was hoping to start working with NEF files

    Get a copy of RawShooter Essentials from any of the sites around the web
    that archived it. There's even some code to change registry entries so it
    doesn't nag you to death. Much better than NC, imo.
    , Nov 20, 2007
  6. Bernard Rother

    frederick Guest

    Bernard Rother wrote:
    > I've been trying to install Nikon Capture 4.1 , the trial version which
    > came with the D70. It installs & requires a reboot. Trying to run the
    > program results in a BSOD & reboots instantly. It's too quick to read
    > any error messages. The PC is rock solid otherwise. Core 2 Duo, 2 gigs
    > ram, nVidia 8800GTS, Intel mobo etc etc.
    >
    > I was hoping to start working with NEF files and uploading custom curves
    > etc. with the USB cable. Set the USB setting in the D70 to PTP .. still
    > no go.
    >
    > It hasn't been installed before so the 30 day period has not yet expired.
    >
    > Done the usual uninstall, registry cleanout, reboot, reinstall etc.
    >
    > Suggestions ??
    >
    > Bernard.

    I think that you can download a 30 day trial version of
    Nikon Capture NX. The later versions of Capture NX seem
    much less buggy.
    Also d/l ViewNX.
    They are large downloads, not recommended on dialup connection.
    As suggested by others, Rawshooter is an excellent
    alternative raw converter for D70 files.
    frederick, Nov 20, 2007
  7. Bernard Rother

    Chris Dubea Guest

    <> wrote:

    >I've been trying to install Nikon Capture 4.1 , the trial version which
    >came with the D70. It installs & requires a reboot. Trying to run the
    >program results in a BSOD & reboots instantly. It's too quick to read
    >any error messages. The PC is rock solid otherwise. Core 2 Duo, 2 gigs
    >ram, nVidia 8800GTS, Intel mobo etc etc.
    >
    >I was hoping to start working with NEF files and uploading custom curves
    >etc. with the USB cable. Set the USB setting in the D70 to PTP .. still
    >no go.
    >
    >It hasn't been installed before so the 30 day period has not yet expired.
    >
    >Done the usual uninstall, registry cleanout, reboot, reinstall etc.
    >
    >Suggestions ??
    >
    >Bernard.

    Capture 4.1 doesn't play nice with WindowsXP SP2 DEP. You need to
    exclude Capture in DEP. Got to your desktop an hit F1. Search on DEP
    and it will tell you how to exclude programs.

    Good luck,

    Chris Dubea, Nov 29, 2007