    for. The lens works fine when f/32 is lined up with the green 70
    indicator. When I push the orange button and move the ring to the yellow
    line, I get an error message.
    Jack, Apr 15, 2006

  2. Jack

    tomm42 Guest

    Jack wrote:
    > I just got a used Nikon AF 70-210 f4-5.6 lens and have a question about
    > using it with a D50. I would like to know what the yellow indicator line is
    > for. The lens works fine when f/32 is lined up with the green 70
    > indicator. When I push the orange button and move the ring to the yellow
    > line, I get an error message.

    I have the same thing going on with a 70-210 f4 on a D200, seems that
    with an automatic camera you lock the f stop ring and use the auxillary
    adustment wheel, front of the grip, to adjust the f-stops. This works
    well. I feel that the standard f-stop ring on the lens is for manual
    cameras (not manual modes on auto cameras). Takes a little getting used
    to.

    Tom
    tomm42, Apr 15, 2006

  3. Jack

    Bill Guest

    Jack wrote:

    >I just got a used Nikon AF 70-210 f4-5.6 lens and have a question about
    >using it with a D50. I would like to know what the yellow indicator line is
    >for. The lens works fine when f/32 is lined up with the green 70
    >indicator. When I push the orange button and move the ring to the yellow
    >line, I get an error message.

    Whenever you use an older model Nikon lense with an aperture ring on a
    new body, you need to set the aperture ring to its highest f-stop and
    lock it there.

    The green line indicates the lense will use electronic aperture control
    as needed by the camera. I'm not positive, but I believe the yellow line
    indicates the ring will be mechanically controlled, like the screw drive
    for the focus motor.

    On your D50, lock the f/32 indicator at the green mark and enjoy.
    Bill, Apr 15, 2006
  4. Jack

    Sheldon Guest

    > Whenever you use an older model Nikon lense with an aperture ring on a
    > new body, you need to set the aperture ring to its highest f-stop and
    > lock it there.

    That's only for "newer" older lenses. Really old lenses must be used in
    manual mode only, and AI, or upgraded to AI, is the oldest you can go that
    will fit on the mount.
    Sheldon, Apr 16, 2006
  5. Jack

    Guest

    Jack wrote:

    > I just got a used Nikon AF 70-210 f4-5.6 lens and have a question about
    > using it with a D50. I would like to know what the yellow indicator line is
    > for. The lens works fine when f/32 is lined up with the green 70
    > indicator. When I push the orange button and move the ring to the yellow
    > line, I get an error message.

    The yellow line indicates what aperture you are getting
    for a given setting of the aperture ring, when the lens is
    at 210mm - if you look at the zoom scale, 70 is in green
    and 210 is in yellow. Thus when the ring is at the widest
    open position, the green line is at f/4 and the yellow line
    is at f/5.6.

    To use the lens with an auto mode where the camera controls
    the aperture you set the ring to the smallest opening (f/32)
    and the camera displays whatever it thinks the aperture is.
    To use it in manual or A mode (esp. on older cameras) you
    can move the ring off f/32. When you do this, it's useful
    to know what aperture you are actually at (for example if you
    are using a flash that wants f/5.6) and that's why the extra
    yellow line exists. It's only necessary on variable aperture
    zooms.
    , Apr 16, 2006