    second battery and charged that too - and the camera still doesn't
    light up at all. It works fine with AC power. Did I accidentally do
    something to it by not using the camera for so long?
    mbrooks, Nov 26, 2004

  2. mbrooks

    Toy Guest

    "mbrooks" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Is there a switch or something that makes a Nikon Coolpix 995 use the
    > battery? I got an AC line power cord when I got the camera and it
    > worked fine. Eventually, I wanted to go outside with the camera. I
    > charged up the battery and it didn't seem to turn the camera on. I
    > thought maybe leaving it uncharged too long damaged it so I bought a
    > second battery and charged that too - and the camera still doesn't
    > light up at all. It works fine with AC power. Did I accidentally do
    > something to it by not using the camera for so long?

    a few checks

    1. Check battery contacts for oxidation/corrosion. Clean with alcohol and or
    a very small amount of metal polish

    2. Are you putting batteries in the correct way around as per pic near
    battery cover.

    3. Try a set of alkaline batteries to ensure rechargeables are not the
    problem.

    dj
    Toy, Nov 26, 2004

  3. There may be a switch in the socket where the power supply plugs into the
    camera. Try inserting and removing it a few times. Check your batteries
    with a voltmeter to make sure they're really charged.

    Michael A. Covington, Nov 27, 2004
  4. mbrooks

    nk Guest

    I had a 995 that would not work with the battery and we had to send to Nikon for
    service. There was a problem with the unit. After the service it worked fine.

    Nath

    nk, Nov 27, 2004
  5. mbrooks

    jean Guest

    The 995 has a special battery, it can't be inserted the wrong way. Maybe
    the AC adapter has a "switch" to make sure the battery and theAC adapter are
    not in parallel and this "switch" is not reverting back to battery power
    when the AC adapter plug is removed.

    Jean

    jean, Nov 27, 2004
  6. mbrooks

    mbrooks Guest

    I found out I had an anomaly - TWO bad batteries in a row! Unusual
    circumstance. I bought another battery from CompUSA, a Digipower,
    which I think is a house brand. Anyway, it was a lot cheaper than the
    Nikon battery at Ritz Camera. Charged it up, it worked fine first time
    out.

    This was definitely unusual, to get two bad batteries in a row like
    that.

    mbrooks, Nov 28, 2004
  7. "mbrooks" <> wrote in message
    >I found out I had an anomaly - TWO bad batteries in a row! Unusual
    > circumstance. I bought another battery from CompUSA, a Digipower,
    > which I think is a house brand. Anyway, it was a lot cheaper than the
    > Nikon battery at Ritz Camera. Charged it up, it worked fine first time
    > out.
    >
    > This was definitely unusual, to get two bad batteries in a row like
    > that.

    This is why everybody needs a voltmeter and the knowledge of how to use it.

    You can't see electricity. I'm uneasy unless I have instruments with me
    that *can* see it.

    Anyhow, congratulations on solving your problem!

    Did Ritz or Nikon give you your money back or a free replacement?
    Michael A. Covington, Nov 28, 2004