    Any suggestions?

    Regards,

    Sunil
    Sunil Abhyankar, Aug 12, 2005

  2. Sunil Abhyankar

    ASAAR Guest

    On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 13:16:43 -0700, Sunil Abhyankar wrote:

    > My friend owns a Nikon 995 and has the following complaint:
    >
    > After she takes a picture, for a short period of time an icon shows up on
    > the screen. The icon looks like the 'Out of Memory' icon.
    >
    > This is not how the camera used to work when it was new.

    And your friend probably doesn't use the camera the same way that
    she did when it was new, so one of the things to do is try to rule
    out any effect she may have contributed. I'm not blaming her for
    anything, but it's possible that some custom setting or mode is
    slightly buggy.

    > She has formatted the card in the camera, used different cards including the
    > one shipped with the camera and has already gotten the camera serviced by
    > Nikon.

    Why was the camera serviced? Was it for the "out of memory"
    display problem or something else?

    > I think the memory in the camera (not the compact flash card)
    > might be failing.

    Possible, but if you're familiar with computer error messages
    you'll have seen that in many cases error messages can be totally
    inappropriate because low level error routines that detect error
    conditions don't always bother to check which of dozens of possible
    causes may have produced the error. For example, a computer program
    may fail to start, displaying a "Missing File" error message if a
    folder it had been configured to use as temporary workspace is moved
    or deleted, or if the drive it uses for this folder runs out of free
    disk space.

    I'd suggest trying to reset the camera. But even if it has a
    reset function (either with a button or a menu option), it may not
    be thorough enough. Better would be to remove the battery until the
    camera is totally dead, which may take a day or two. If the Nikon
    995 is one that uses a small button cell to maintain settings and
    power a clock/calendar chip, it would also have to be removed.
    Then, when putting the battery(ies) back in the camera, set only the
    time and date. Obviously if the time/date retain the current
    time/date, the batteries weren't removed for a long enough period of
    time. Then, without customizing any of the camera's settings, use
    its most AUTO operating mode to take a couple of pictures using
    either a formatted or relatively empty CF card to see if the "out of
    memory" message briefly displays or if it doesn't appear anymore.
    If it doesn't appear, then the camera can be setup the way it used
    to be, and operated in whatever mode your friend prefers, to see if
    the warning returns. If it doesn't, problem solved.

    If the warning returns, then you still don't know if the camera
    might always have had this (relatively harmless) bug, even if its
    first appearance came about only recently, or if it represents a
    slowly deteriorating camera. Then your friend might want to
    consider whether to keep using the camera as long as it works. The
    advantage is that she already is familiar with how to operate the
    995. But the disadvantage is that if it eventually breaks at an
    inopportune time, such as when on a vacation, she'll either be
    without a camera, or might be forced to not only get a less than
    desirable camera at a moment's notice, but won't have time to learn
    how to operate the new camera quickly and accurately.

    So the alternative to continuing to use the 995 would be to
    relegate it to backup status and get a new camera now, when there's
    plenty of time to choose it and learn how to operate it. From my
    own experience, each new camera has had many more features and
    complexity than previous ones, and took a little more time and
    effort to learn how to use it without having to carry the manual
    around while taking pictures.
    ASAAR, Aug 12, 2005

  3. Sunil Abhyankar

    birdman Guest

    Does the camera still work properly otherwise? Does it take and record
    pictures properly? Can you record the number of images you should be able to
    on the compact flash card?
    birdman, Aug 13, 2005
  4. The camera was serviced because of a similar message occuring with corrupted
    image files. The image files are no longer corrupt and the pictures are ok
    except for the icon being displayed briefly. I'll forward your suggestion
    of draining the battery to her.

    Thank you very much.

    Sunil

    Sunil Abhyankar, Aug 15, 2005
  5. As far as she knows, the camera works propery otherwise.

    Sunil Abhyankar, Aug 15, 2005