    Is there a new model to be introduced to replase the 8800?
    Does anyone know any reliable vendors selling thw 8800 at a good
    price.
    John, Jan 6, 2006

  2. John

    bmoag Guest

    The 8800 is based on the Sony sensor that powers all similar 8mp EVF
    cameras, including Sony's recently discontinued 828. It appears that all
    manufacturers have abandoned this sensor. This has nothing to do with the
    quality of the sensor as much as it has to do with developing technology
    (intelligent design, not liberal, godless evolution).
    Sony's new 10mp dSLR sized sensor will likely power the next generation of
    non-Canon/Fuji dSLRs. I have no doubt that this is the sensor in the new
    D200 without Nikon confirming it and despite what Nikon/Mistsubishi might
    say to the contrary.
    Neither Nikon nor its parent/partner companies have the ability to produce
    their own sensors by themselves or under contract:. If they could, why
    haven't they done so already now several generations into the digital
    revolution as well as several generations of dSLR cameras?
    Why would they need to? Sony is the world leader in imaging sensor
    technology (take that Canon/Fuji/Kodak et al!).
    Besides, the sensor is only part of the imaging system that distinguishes
    one camera brand from another. We all used the same film in different camera
    brands.
    Presumably the Sony 10mp sensor will soon appear in the D70 replacement
    (drool, slurp) as well. I swore I would not but that camera but i fear my
    credit card will take a major hit when that camera appears . . .
    From Nikon's marketing standpoint it is a dicey proposition whether or not
    to put this sensor in an EVF camera at the same time it appears in the
    flagship dSLR line. Sony already has done this but they make the sensor and
    can do whatever they want with it.
    bmoag, Jan 7, 2006