    concern I have is the slowness of the AF.

    --
    Remove NOSPAM to reply

    Ric Kaysen, Aug 14, 2004

  2. Ric Kaysen

    [BnH] Guest

    What were your high end 35mm's ? :)

    On all the 8mpx prosumers ... I fond the KM A2 more.
    Anti shake is just an import from the future ;)

    =bob=

    "Ric Kaysen" <> wrote in message
    > I've used high end 35's and medium format for years, but only recently
    > made
    > the move to digital with a Canon S50. I bought it just for quick
    > snapshots,
    > but was very impressed with the picture quality. I think I might like to
    > buy
    > one of the new 8MP SLR'S but can't decide between the Canon PowerShot Pro1
    > and the Nikon 8700. I'm just an amateur shooter who likes a little more
    > control than a point and shoot delivers. Does anyone here have experience
    > with either of these two cameras? I've read some reviews and the biggest
    > concern I have is the slowness of the AF.
    >
    > --
    > Remove NOSPAM to reply

    ---

    [BnH], Aug 15, 2004

  3. Ric Kaysen

    TheNewsGuy Guest

    On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 21:35:03 GMT, "Ric Kaysen"
    <> wrote:

    >I've used high end 35's and medium format for years, but only recently made
    >the move to digital with a Canon S50. I bought it just for quick snapshots,
    >but was very impressed with the picture quality. I think I might like to buy
    >one of the new 8MP SLR'S but can't decide between the Canon PowerShot Pro1
    >and the Nikon 8700. I'm just an amateur shooter who likes a little more
    >control than a point and shoot delivers. Does anyone here have experience
    >with either of these two cameras? I've read some reviews and the biggest
    >concern I have is the slowness of the AF.

    I have a 5700 and there are a few features I wish I knew were lacking
    before purchasing it.
    1. No TTL metering - does the 8700 (or the Canon have it?) There is a
    sensor in the popup flash that must be up to use external flash units
    - this means the Nikon lens hood must be off at the time..

    2. The 8700 has AF assist with Nikon compatible flash units (that is
    better for low light focussing) But I would expect the AF is slow.
    Not for action shots.

    The filter adapter and additional lens adapter is awkward for the 5700
    - how is it for the canon.

    I would check these issues out.

    In spite of it's few flaws I am extremely pleased with the quality of
    the 5700. The images are sharp, with excellent colour. there are
    also a lot of creative features that one can use if they want to - or
    one caqn use it as a point and shoot as well.

    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    + The News Guy(Mike) - Seinfeld Lists
    + (two mirrored sites)
    + http://membres.lycos.fr/tnguym
    + http://wave.prohosting.com/tnguym NOWTHISWORKS
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

    TheNewsGuy, Aug 15, 2004
  4. Ric Kaysen

    Ann Meffert Guest

    Although it isn't an 8 megapixel, and so we're not talking apples to
    apples, you might want to read about the Panasonic Lumix FZ-20 with the
    Leica lens system. For $599, it's what I'm waiting for as my first
    digital camera. Seems to me that if I would spend $999 for a
    prosumer-level point and shoot, I'd go ahead and go for a slightly more
    expensive, but much more advanced, DSLR like the Nikon D70 or Canon
    Digital Rebel. My 2 wooden nickels.

    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0407/04072104panasonicfz20.asp

    Ann Meffert, Aug 15, 2004
  5. [BnH] wrote:
    []
    > On all the 8mpx prosumers ... I fond the KM A2 more.
    > Anti shake is just an import from the future ;)
    >
    > =bob=

    On my tests, the A2 picture quality was no better than the 5MP Nikon 5700!
    The LCD finder has a rather flimsy mounting and is less flexible in
    positioning than the 5700/8700. The anti-shake does not work at lowe
    shutter speeds. I sent mine back!

    [To the original poster]

    Yes, focussing in low light can be a little slow (on the 5700), but they
    have added a focus-assist lamp for the 8700. Unless you really need 8MP,
    you could look at the 5MP cameras for a considerable cost saving.

    As with any camera, you may need to learn how to get the best out of it.
    For action photos with the 5700, pre-focussing and exposure with a
    haf-press of the shutter release will minimise the taking delay. Ideally,
    get to a camera store and check out the ergonomics of the models which
    interst you. Some people find the buttons or body too small handle
    (especially if you need to operatre the camera with gloved hands). They
    have bought the add-on battery pack for the 5700 which allows it to take 6
    NiMH batteries instead of the LiIon.

    I have been very pleased with my Nikon 5700 and would recommend the line.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Aug 15, 2004
  6. Ric Kaysen wrote:
    > I've used high end 35's and medium format for years, but only
    > recently made the move to digital with a Canon S50. I bought it just
    > for quick snapshots, but was very impressed with the picture quality.
    > I think I might like to buy one of the new 8MP SLR'S but can't decide
    > between the Canon PowerShot Pro1 and the Nikon 8700.

    I meant to add - check if the camera has a dioptre adjustment on the
    viewfinder. Yes, both the cameras you mention do, but I was recently
    handed a Koday camera to use for a photo, and the viewfinder was set yo
    display images so "close" as to be useless (for me). One might have
    expected an infinity virtual image, but no. It had no dioptre
    adjustment.....

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Aug 15, 2004
  7. Ric Kaysen

    Ric Kaysen Guest

    Thanks to all for your input

    Ric Kaysen, Aug 15, 2004
  8. Ric Kaysen

    rene maark Guest

    Hi,
    I can recommend you a Canon PowerShot 1Pro because of the best CCD chip and
    better lens.
    Really. I use a Canon G2 and I am absolutly satisfied with its.
    Nikon camera is better in mechanical camera branch only. Have a look at some
    digital-photo sites.
    Regards,
    rene

    rene maark, Aug 15, 2004