    Nikon AF50mm f/1.4D Nikkor
    Nikon 85mm f/1.4 Nikkor AIS

    Gary
    Gary Mattingly, Feb 20, 2004

  2. On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 06:20:08 GMT, Gary Mattingly
    <> wrote:

    >As a general purpose lens I saw interesting/good reviews
    >for the following. Comments? Suggestions? Advice?
    >I have a Nikon D100.
    >
    >Nikon AF50mm f/1.4D Nikkor
    >Nikon 85mm f/1.4 Nikkor AIS

    I should add this too;
    Nikon 85/1.4D AF IF

    Gary Mattingly, Feb 20, 2004

  3. Gary Mattingly <> writes:

    > As a general purpose lens I saw interesting/good reviews
    > for the following. Comments? Suggestions? Advice?
    > I have a Nikon D100.
    >
    > Nikon AF50mm f/1.4D Nikkor
    > Nikon 85mm f/1.4 Nikkor AIS

    Do remember the focal-length multiplier (1.5x in the D100). Perhaps
    for you a "75mm" or a "128mm" lens is a good general-purpose lens; it
    isn't for me. (It's a darned useful length, but not what I'd call
    "general purpose"; more "portrait").

    The AIS lens won't meter on the D100 (but that doesn't matter all
    *that* much, with the histogram display and all). Flash is the big
    place that loses badly.

    A "128mm" f1.4 does have certain attractions!
    RKBA: <http://noguns-nomoney.com> <http://www.dd-b.net/carry/>
    David Dyer-Bennet, Feb 20, 2004
  4. Gary Mattingly

    Gavin Cato Guest

    The 85 1.4 is by far the best lens I own. Absolutely incredible.

    Gavin Cato, Feb 20, 2004
  5. Gary Mattingly

    max Guest

    "Gary Mattingly"
    > As a general purpose lens I saw interesting/good reviews
    > for the following. Comments? Suggestions? Advice?
    > I have a Nikon D100.
    >
    > Nikon AF50mm f/1.4D Nikkor
    > Nikon 85mm f/1.4 Nikkor AIS
    >
    > Gary

    General purpose lenses - not really.. But they are both nice ultrafast
    moderate telefocus lenses. Nikon 85mm f/1.4 Nikkor AIS won't meter
    on d100. Nikon AF50mm f/1.4D Nikkor I'm happy with mine,
    save money and buy Nikon AF50mm f/1.8D Nikkor..
    I looked at Nikon 85mm f/1.4D Nikkor, but on digital it is a little
    soo much telephoto and I have the 70-200afs vr in that range.
    http://www.naturfotograf.com/index2.html If you have'nt yet check
    this one out.. ;o)-max-
    max, Feb 20, 2004
  6. Gary Mattingly

    JR Guest

    Get the $100 50/1.8D. Unless you absolute NEED f/1.4 then the 1.8D is a
    beter lens. The amount of depth of field of a lens at f/1.4 means that
    VERY little of your image is in focus. The D100 will not meter with the
    AI or AIS lenses. With the 1.5x multiplier you will have a 75 f/1.8
    lens for $100, you cannot go wrong. Just because the lens will shoot at
    f/1.4 does not make it a better lens. If you comapre the 50 f/1.4 and
    the 50 f/1.8 at any aperture (except 1.4 of course) the 1.8 will give
    you better images. So unless you use the lens at 1.4 then you are
    spending more money for an optically inferior lens. The same applies to
    the 85 1.4 AFD and the 85 1.8 AFD.

    JR

    JR, Feb 20, 2004
  7. Gary Mattingly

    Gavin Cato Guest

    That is all completely wrong.

    The reason you buy the 1.4 versions of the lenses is that that lens will
    generally have better performance at wide apertures.

    In addition they both have better bokeh, especially the 85.

    The 50/1.4 is noticeably better than the 50/1.4 between f/2 to f/5.6 - if
    you shoot at f/8 and smaller the 50/1.8 is better.

    With the 85 1.4 - the difference is far more pronounced. The 85 1.4 makes
    the 85 1.8 just look plain silly if you compare them from f/2 to f/5.6 and
    the bokeh is miles better. It is an enormous difference, far greater than
    the 50mm lens comparison.

    The 50/1.8 and 85/1.8 are great value for your money, but saying theres no
    reason to get the 1.4 versions unless you shoot at f/1.4 is just plain
    garbage.

    Gavin Cato, Feb 20, 2004
  8. Gary Mattingly

    bob Guest

    "Gavin Cato" <> wrote in news:40366cad$:

    > The reason you buy the 1.4 versions of the lenses is that that lens will
    > generally have better performance at wide apertures.

    Although the 35 1.4 AI is soft at wide aperatures. But the difference
    between 1.4 and 2.8 is big enough to make the difference between picture
    and no picture.

    I really like my 35 1.4 AI, but sharpness isnt' it's strong point.

    Bob

    --
    remove the backwards "SPAM" to reply.
    bob, Feb 20, 2004
  9. Gary Mattingly

    Gavin Cato Guest

    I was more referring to the 50mm and 85mm specifically as I've owned both
    versions of both lenses, I haven't used the 35.

    Gav

    Gavin Cato, Feb 20, 2004
  10. On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 06:27:59 GMT, Gary Mattingly
    <> wrote:

    Thanks a lot for everyone's response. After I posted
    I found one other lens that looked particularly interesting
    in this area, the AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G IF-ED.

    Any comments on this one?

    Thanks again!

    Gary
    Gary Mattingly, Feb 21, 2004
  11. Gary Mattingly

    PB Guest

    <> wrote:

    >As a general purpose lens I saw interesting/good reviews
    >for the following. Comments? Suggestions? Advice?
    >I have a Nikon D100.
    >
    >Nikon AF50mm f/1.4D Nikkor
    >Nikon 85mm f/1.4 Nikkor AIS
    >
    >Gary

    I've got the 85mm f/1.4 and it is a great lens for many applications,
    I use mine with both the D100 and 14n. Very good bokeh, also--makes
    an excellent portrait lens. I'm not interested in auto-focus etc., so
    these older Nikkors (with far better build quality) seem to be good
    choices. Also consider the 105mm f/1.8 and 135mm f/2 for your
    collection if you like "big" glass.
    PB, Feb 21, 2004
  12. Gary Mattingly

    PB Guest

    On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 20:23:21 GMT, "Gavin Cato" <> wrote:

    >That is all completely wrong.
    >
    >The reason you buy the 1.4 versions of the lenses is that that lens will
    >generally have better performance at wide apertures.
    >
    >In addition they both have better bokeh, especially the 85.
    >
    >The 50/1.4 is noticeably better than the 50/1.4 between f/2 to f/5.6 - if
    >you shoot at f/8 and smaller the 50/1.8 is better.
    >
    >With the 85 1.4 - the difference is far more pronounced. The 85 1.4 makes
    >the 85 1.8 just look plain silly if you compare them from f/2 to f/5.6 and
    >the bokeh is miles better. It is an enormous difference, far greater than
    >the 50mm lens comparison.
    >
    >The 50/1.8 and 85/1.8 are great value for your money, but saying theres no
    >reason to get the 1.4 versions unless you shoot at f/1.4 is just plain
    >garbage.

    ....and there's not much point in worrying about the lack of internal
    metering, since for portraiture you're generally going to needing
    incident readings for exposure. As far as that goes, you're probably
    better off using incident readings most of the time for general
    photography. Far as I'm concerned they could leave all that "auto"
    crap off and I'd do just fine, and wouldn't have to be dragging around
    a bunch of unused servo gears when I focus, either rant, rave etc....
    PB, Feb 21, 2004