    Also, how does this lens stack up to today's modern competition?

    Thanks,
    Bill Crocker
    Bill Crocker, Jul 24, 2006

  2. Bill Crocker <> wrote:
    > I picked up an older Nikon 80-200MM, f2.8/ED AF Push-Pull Zoom today in
    > absolute mint condition. I plan to use it with my D70s. I'm concerned
    > about the weight of this lens, and the plastic body of my D70s. This lens
    > is the one that does not have the tripod mount on it. Would I be risking
    > damage to my camera body if I mount it to a tripod, while using this massive
    > lens? I have also read about some alternative mounting for this lens, when
    > using a tripod. Does anyone have any links to such a device?

    Yes! Do not support that monster by the mount of your camera. In fact, I
    would not do that on a more rugged F6!! Consider buying the tripod ring. Or,
    hold the entire camera by holding the lens [it won't hurt the camera to hang
    off of the lens].

    > Also, how does this lens stack up to today's modern competition?

    Yes indeed! It is a fast f/2.8. It has fast autofocus and it is sharp as
    nails! It isn't AF-S, but you really pay for that these days. It isn't VR,
    but you really pay for that as well. If you use a tripod, you don't really
    need VR. If you are shooting fast sports by hand, VR is more of an issue. In
    short, be happy with your purchase; you made a good one.

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse
    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Jul 24, 2006

  3. Bill Crocker

    Jim Guest

    "Bill Crocker" <> wrote in message
    >I picked up an older Nikon 80-200MM, f2.8/ED AF Push-Pull Zoom today in
    >absolute mint condition. I plan to use it with my D70s. I'm concerned
    >about the weight of this lens, and the plastic body of my D70s. This lens
    >is the one that does not have the tripod mount on it. Would I be risking
    >damage to my camera body if I mount it to a tripod, while using this
    >massive lens? I have also read about some alternative mounting for this
    >lens, when using a tripod. Does anyone have any links to such a device?
    >
    > Also, how does this lens stack up to today's modern competition?

    All versions of this lens are both heavy and excellent.
    All versions of the 180 f2.8 are lighter but still excellent.
    Jim

    Jim, Jul 24, 2006