    mm range that doesn't become unwieldy at full focal length.

    Thanks

    Alan

    AK, Apr 4, 2005

  2. AK

    Sheldon Guest

    "AK" <> wrote in message
    news:iG%3e.2300$Q26.2211@trnddc05...
    > Could someone who has this lens let me know roughly what its length is
    > when its fully extended (300 mm)? I have the Sigma 70-300 Macro, and at
    > 300 mm its a long and heavy lens - I'm looking for something for my D70 in
    > the 300 mm range that doesn't become unwieldy at full focal length.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Alan

    I can't give you the length, but the Nikon lens is pretty light. I've
    played with one but don't have one myself.

    Sheldon, Apr 4, 2005

  3. AK

    Bigguy Guest

    5.5" at shortest, 7.25" fully extended, 9" fuly extended with lens hood.
    Have to say it's a pretty poor lens.. very soft at wide open at 300mm.
    I never use mine as it is so soft...

    Guy

    Bigguy, Apr 4, 2005
  4. AK

    Tom Scales Guest

    That's why I own the 70-300D

    Tom Scales, Apr 4, 2005
  5. AK

    Roger Moss Guest

    I have the straight ED model (i.e. non-G series), which extends to a maximum
    of 150mm from bayonet to front element ring - to which you'll no doubt add
    the std lenshood dimensions while in use. Nice and light, though, and I use
    it on my D79 with no problems. I simply live with the effective focal length
    difference due to the CCD being smaller than the 24x36 film area of 35mm.

    RM

    Roger Moss, Apr 4, 2005