    I have a Nikon 5700 and want some ideas of which is the best hot shoe flash
    to purchase. Money is an object, but so is reliability. Some ideas would
    be appreciated.

    John, Nov 12, 2004

  2. John

    bob Guest

    "John" <> wrote in
    news:TXUkd.5343$:

    > I have a Nikon 5700 and want some ideas of which is the best hot shoe
    > flash to purchase. Money is an object, but so is reliability. Some
    > ideas would be appreciated.

    I've been using SunPack flashes for 20 years. They always work perfectly
    until I drop them on hard surfaces from 4 feet or more. When I do that the
    tubes break, but I expect more expensive equipment would too.

    I've never paid more than $30 for one. I see them on Ebay for under $10
    now.

    If you get an old unit, check the trigger voltage, lest you damage the
    camera. 12v seems to be a general guide in that regard.

    Bob

    --
    Delete the inverse SPAM to reply

    bob, Nov 12, 2004

  3. The 5700 won't make use of features like power zoom and AF illuminator and
    doesn't transmit the shooting data, aperture, focus distance, ISO, etc. So
    don't bother spending any more for a flash that has these features (unless
    of course you can use them on another Nikon you own)

    Martin Bishop, Nov 12, 2004
  4. John

    TheNewsGuy Guest

    On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 21:10:55 -0500, "John" <>
    wrote:

    >I have a Nikon 5700 and want some ideas of which is the best hot shoe flash
    >to purchase. Money is an object, but so is reliability. Some ideas would
    >be appreciated.

    I am using a Vivitar 730AFNi that I purchase cheaply - of course the
    AF and zoom features are not used by the 5700. I also bought the
    Nikon SB-28 (it is the proper cable) - don't try the SB-17 as the cord
    comes out at the wrong angle. I mounted it on a flash bracket with a
    tripod screw on my own. It works well off-camera like this. Be sure
    to read C. K. Shenes pages on settings etc. It is an excellent
    resource. http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/

    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    + The News Guy(Mike) - Seinfeld Lists
    + (two mirrored sites)