    Phil

    PS this post modified from one sent to Nikon hence the anguished tones.
    PPS first post here, hi all!
    Phil Rose, Oct 3, 2003

  2. Phil Rose

    W6DKN Guest

    Phil Rose wrote:
    > Hi, I have just bought this camera and although I like it a lot I am
    > finding that my Vivitar 285 flash unit does not fire on it. Please
    > don't tell me they have designed a prosumer camera that will ONLY
    > fire a Nikon flash unit! What about using my studio flash lights? Am
    > I missing something here? Is there a workaround? Hope you can help
    > and that I haven't wasted my money. Phil
    >
    > PS this post modified from one sent to Nikon hence the anguished
    > tones.
    > PPS first post here, hi all!

    I don't have a 5700, but I do use a D100 DSLR. If the 5700 flash works the
    same as the D100, it will only work in TTL flash mode with a "DX" flash
    unit (SB50DX, SB28DX, or SB80DX). This is because the DX flash units fire a
    pre-flash that is used to calculate TTL exposure, then the camera sets
    correct exposure and fires a second flash while taking the picture (this
    all happens in a fraction of a second, so you cannot see the pre-flash).

    However, non-DX flash units will work if used in the Auto mode of the flash
    unit with the camera set for Standard (non-TTL) flash mode.

    As for using studio lights, simply use a Nikon AS-15 flash adapter ($20) to
    hook up your studio sync cables. Then use your flash meter to determine the
    correct exposure and set the camera/flash as required.

    = Dan =
    W6DKN, Oct 3, 2003

  3. In article <Yn7fb.13242$>,
    Phil Rose <> wrote:

    > Hi, I have just bought this camera and although I like it a lot I am finding
    > that my Vivitar 285 flash unit does not fire on it. Please don't tell me
    > they have designed a prosumer camera that will ONLY fire a Nikon flash unit!
    > What about using my studio flash lights? Am I missing something here? Is
    > there a workaround? Hope you can help and that I haven't wasted my money.
    > Phil

    OK, I won't tell you. But if you follow the manufacturers
    recommendations, not only should you be using a Nikon flash, it has to
    be the RIGHT Nikon flash.

    I use an older Coolpix 995; and according to Nikon, my SB-28 is
    compatible, but my SB-27 is not.

    I realize many people have had success with third-party flashes; others
    (like you) have not. For a sensitive piece of electronic equipment
    that's still under warranty, better safe than sorry.
    Scott Schuckert, Oct 3, 2003
  4. Phil Rose

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 23:30:57 -0700, in rec.photo.digital "W6DKN"
    <> wrote:

    >I don't have a 5700, but I do use a D100 DSLR. If the 5700 flash works the
    >same as the D100, it will only work in TTL flash mode with a "DX" flash
    >unit (SB50DX, SB28DX, or SB80DX). This is because the DX flash units fire a
    >pre-flash that is used to calculate TTL exposure, then the camera sets
    >correct exposure and fires a second flash while taking the picture (this
    >all happens in a fraction of a second, so you cannot see the pre-flash).

    This is NOT supported on the 5700, from p 138 of the 5700 user's manual:

    Set the external Speedlight flash mode to TTL.
    At this setting, the amount of light produced by the external Speedlight
    is measured by the camera’s photocell, and the flash shooting range
    adjusted automatically to ensure optimal exposure. D-TTL flash control
    (available with the SB-80DX, SB-50DX and SB-28DX) is not supported.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://members.cox.net/egruf
    See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam
    Ed Ruf, Oct 3, 2003
  5. Phil Rose

    Phil Rose Guest

    So I seem to be getting mixed responses here. Can I REALLY damage my camera
    by putting something as simple as an old fashioned flash unit on it? That's
    hopeless. Do others agree that the AS-15 will allow me to safely use my
    studio lights? Thanks for your help so far.
    Phil
    Phil Rose, Oct 3, 2003
  6. Phil Rose

    CSM1 Guest

    "Phil Rose" <> wrote in message
    > So I seem to be getting mixed responses here. Can I REALLY damage my

    camera
    > by putting something as simple as an old fashioned flash unit on it?

    That's
    > hopeless. Do others agree that the AS-15 will allow me to safely use my
    > studio lights? Thanks for your help so far.
    > Phil

    It may be a good idea to check the firing voltage on your strobe.
    http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com
    CSM1, Oct 3, 2003
  7. On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 12:24:31 GMT, "Phil Rose" <>
    wrote:

    >So I seem to be getting mixed responses here. Can I REALLY damage my camera
    >by putting something as simple as an old fashioned flash unit on it? That's
    >hopeless. Do others agree that the AS-15 will allow me to safely use my
    >studio lights? Thanks for your help so far.

    No. The AS-15 will give you a mechanical connection. It will not
    provide any voltage limitation. You need something like a Wein
    'Safe-Sync' to do that.

    --
    - Lee
    Lee Lindquist, Oct 7, 2003
  8. Phil Rose

    Pete C Guest

    With my Coolpix 950, I contacted Nikon after buying adaptors and
    learned that the camera could safely be used with low voltage flashes
    such as my old Pentax but not with my Metz flash which is high
    voltage. Nikon recommended that the flash not exceed 12 volts.
    Then I placed the camera into aperature setting to coreespond with the
    flash and via trial and error was able to get good pictures. I also
    used remote sensors with good results aftre trial and error.
    I have not spent the time to try this with my 5700 yet.
    Pete C
    Pete C, Oct 20, 2003