Nikon 5700 - battery & charger questions

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bob, Mar 16, 2005.

  1. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Hi all,

    We've had a Nikon 5700 since it was introduced and we're still very
    happy with it. We bought a replacement battery online (LI-Ion
    1800MaH?) to complement the one it came with. I noticed that after we
    started using this new battery, neither of the batteries last very
    long. I'm not sure if there's a problem with the charger or what;
    perhaps just a coincidence.

    Nikon lists the charger as a MH-53. Is there a better charger
    available for these type of batteries? I read in an older post that
    these LI-Ion batteries have a shelf life, so I guess buying from a
    'reputable' dealer will be in my best interest, but I want to make
    sure I get a better charger if there's one available.

    I've read that TigerDirect (yuck) and BHPhoto are good for replacement
    batteries - anyone care to chime in with as-good or better sites for
    quality LI-Ion batteries? Specifically, the 5700 uses a nikon part
    #EN-EL1.

    thx for any input
    Bob, Mar 16, 2005

  2. Bob

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 21:42:32 GMT, in rec.photo.digital Bob <>
    wrote:

    >I've read that TigerDirect (yuck) and BHPhoto are good for replacement
    >batteries - anyone care to chime in with as-good or better sites for
    >quality LI-Ion batteries? Specifically, the 5700 uses a nikon part
    >#EN-EL1.

    Can't help with direct experience with the 5700, I have always used the
    optional MB-5700 battery grip with mine. I did pick up spare batteries from
    Thomas Distributing for my D70. I"ve also bought Maha charger and NiMh AA
    from them in the past. A very good vendor.
    http://thomas-distributing.com/index.htm
    ----------
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
    Ed Ruf, Mar 16, 2005

  3. Bob

    Roddytoo Guest

    "Bob" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > We've had a Nikon 5700 since it was introduced and we're still very
    > happy with it. We bought a replacement battery online (LI-Ion
    > 1800MaH?) to complement the one it came with. I noticed that after we
    > started using this new battery, neither of the batteries last very
    > long. I'm not sure if there's a problem with the charger or what;
    > perhaps just a coincidence.

    (snip)
    The 5700 has a high power demand, so a charge does not last long. Changing
    the charger will make no difference, the battery can only hold what it can
    hold. For cheaper generic batteries try ebay.com, many suppliers there send
    worldwide, some great deals and no difference in performance that I can
    detect from the originals.
    Roddytoo, Mar 17, 2005
  4. Bob

    Patrick Boch Guest

    I use 4 batteries..(5700/4500...Stock charger and DC....Still using original
    and additional from...Tiger...No problems. As far as BH..I'd never deal with
    them again... They lied about selling me gray market.

    Patrick Boch, Mar 18, 2005