    Have you any suggestions or recommendations?

    Thanks

    Steve
    Steve Bouton, Aug 9, 2003

  2. Steve Bouton

    grenner Guest

    I looked at both of those cameras the 5700 in particular and ended up with
    neither of them. The thing that shyed me away from the 5700 was photo store
    clerk comments and review comments on the problems focusing in low light.
    This other thing which applys to me is that I am left eyed when looking
    through a camera. The zoom button on the 5700 is on the right side of the
    back of the camera near my nose and it is difficult for me to zoom.
    Obviously not a camera problem.
    I ended up with the the Dimage 7Hi and am very happy. The zoom is manual on
    the lens and I like it's switch system for macro. I have had it about a
    month and am very pleased.

    Greg

    grenner, Aug 9, 2003

  3. Steve Bouton

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On 8 Aug 2003 19:04:14 -0700, in rec.photo.digital (Steve
    Bouton) wrote:

    >I'm trying to decide between the Nikon 5400 and the 5700. I like the
    >extended zoom of the 5700, but I like the wider 5400 too as well as
    >the 15 modes that can be a timesaver.

    >I intend to get a polarizer for whatever I buy, but I'm concerned
    >about vignetting.
    >
    >If I go with the 5400 I'll probably end up with the tele-converter.

    Depends on which side of the zoom you will make the most of. Both cameras
    use the same converter lenses. 5400 has equiv 35mm f =28-116 mm , so with
    the 1.5 that gets you to 174mm max. But if you need 28mm with flash, the
    5400 is the way to go, as the WC-80 blocks the flash on either. The 5700 is
    f=35-280mm. So, even by itself you have much more lens. The 5400 has an
    optical viewfinder vs. the EVF of the 5700. You can decide which is better
    for yourself.

    As to the scenes, I have never understood their appeal. Instead of learning
    to make use of four modes (Programmed, Aperture, Shutter, Manual) I can not
    see how choosing between 15 different scene modes is any quicker. If you
    have specific settings you like for certain situations the 5700 has 3 user
    settings and 3 function settings you can preprogram.

    Moving up from a 990 with TC-3, WC-63, FC-8, I chose the 5700 with TC-15,
    WC-80 and soon to be acquired FC-9, but I wanted the long focal length of
    this combo.

    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://members.cox.net/egruf
    See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam
    Ed Ruf, Aug 9, 2003
  4. Steve Bouton

    JK Guest

    Why either of those? They have lenses that are slow at the telephoto end.

    JK, Aug 10, 2003