Nikon 50mm/f1,2

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Sandman, Jun 10, 2014.

  1. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    Blog:
    <http://jonaseklundh.se/pages/Nikon_50mmf12?lang=en>

    <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg209629.png>

    Now I finally have the final lens in my Bokeh-collection, the
    legendary Nikon 50mm/f1.2 - very fast so the expectations are pretty
    high for creamy bokeh.

    It's manual focus of course, so getting the focus right is pretty
    tricky, especially at f1.2. I've been testing it on my Sony A7 with MF
    Assist (EVF zooms in) and focusing is still pretty hard to get just
    right, even in the lightest of breezes.

    Well, here are some test shots, soon I'll post a "showdown" of all the
    bokeh lenses in the collection.

    <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg209630.jpg>
    ILCE-7, 0.0 mm, f/0.0, 1/2500 sec., ISO 50

    <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg209631.jpg>
    ILCE-7, 0.0 mm, f/0.0, 1/500 sec., ISO 50

    <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg209632.jpg>
    ILCE-7, 0.0 mm, f/0.0, 1/800 sec., ISO 100

    <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg209633.jpg>
    ILCE-7, 0.0 mm, f/0.0, 1/1000 sec., ISO 50

    <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg209634.jpg>
    ILCE-7, 0.0 mm, f/0.0, 1/5000 sec., ISO 50

    As you can see, most of the times, the bokeh is really really creamy
    and nice.

    --
    Sandman[.net]
    Sandman, Jun 10, 2014

  2. Sandman

    Mort Guest

    Sandman wrote:
    > Blog:
    > <http://jonaseklundh.se/pages/Nikon_50mmf12?lang=en>
    >

    > <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg209629.png>
    >
    > Now I finally have the final lens in my Bokeh-collection, the
    > legendary Nikon 50mm/f1.2 - very fast so the expectations are pretty
    > high for creamy bokeh.
    >
    > It's manual focus of course, so getting the focus right is pretty
    > tricky, especially at f1.2. I've been testing it on my Sony A7 with MF
    > Assist (EVF zooms in) and focusing is still pretty hard to get just
    > right, even in the lightest of breezes.
    >
    > Well, here are some test shots, soon I'll post a "showdown" of all the
    > bokeh lenses in the collection.
    >
    > <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg209630.jpg>
    > ILCE-7, 0.0 mm, f/0.0, 1/2500 sec., ISO 50
    >
    > <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg209631.jpg>
    > ILCE-7, 0.0 mm, f/0.0, 1/500 sec., ISO 50
    >
    > <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg209632.jpg>
    > ILCE-7, 0.0 mm, f/0.0, 1/800 sec., ISO 100
    >
    > <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg209633.jpg>
    > ILCE-7, 0.0 mm, f/0.0, 1/1000 sec., ISO 50
    >
    > <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg209634.jpg>
    > ILCE-7, 0.0 mm, f/0.0, 1/5000 sec., ISO 50
    >
    > As you can see, most of the times, the bokeh is really really creamy
    > and nice.

    In the old days, I briefly owned this lens for my Nikon F/F2 cameras,
    but I soon sold it. The F 1.4 was much sharper,and had much less
    distortion, than the F 1.2. The quality loss was just not worth it, for
    a 1/3 F stop gain.

    Mort Linder
    Mort, Jun 10, 2014

  3. Sandman

    PeterN Guest

    On 6/10/2014 10:49 AM, Mort wrote:
    > Sandman wrote:
    >> Blog:
    >> <http://jonaseklundh.se/pages/Nikon_50mmf12?lang=en>
    >>

    >> <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg209629.png>
    >>
    >> Now I finally have the final lens in my Bokeh-collection, the
    >> legendary Nikon 50mm/f1.2 - very fast so the expectations are pretty
    >> high for creamy bokeh.
    >>
    >> It's manual focus of course, so getting the focus right is pretty
    >> tricky, especially at f1.2. I've been testing it on my Sony A7 with MF
    >> Assist (EVF zooms in) and focusing is still pretty hard to get just
    >> right, even in the lightest of breezes.
    >>
    >> Well, here are some test shots, soon I'll post a "showdown" of all the
    >> bokeh lenses in the collection.
    >>
    >> <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg209630.jpg>
    >> ILCE-7, 0.0 mm, f/0.0, 1/2500 sec., ISO 50
    >>
    >> <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg209631.jpg>
    >> ILCE-7, 0.0 mm, f/0.0, 1/500 sec., ISO 50
    >>
    >> <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg209632.jpg>
    >> ILCE-7, 0.0 mm, f/0.0, 1/800 sec., ISO 100
    >>
    >> <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg209633.jpg>
    >> ILCE-7, 0.0 mm, f/0.0, 1/1000 sec., ISO 50
    >>
    >> <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg209634.jpg>
    >> ILCE-7, 0.0 mm, f/0.0, 1/5000 sec., ISO 50
    >>
    >> As you can see, most of the times, the bokeh is really really creamy
    >> and nice.
    >>

    > In the old days, I briefly owned this lens for my Nikon F/F2 cameras,
    > but I soon sold it. The F 1.4 was much sharper,and had much less
    > distortion, than the F 1.2. The quality loss was just not worth it, for
    > a 1/3 F stop gain.

    I still use my 50mm 1.4.

    --
    PeterN
    PeterN, Jun 10, 2014
  4. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    In article <oWElv.459239$>, Mort wrote:

    > > Sandman:
    > > Blog: <http://jonaseklundh.se/pages/Nikon_50mmf12?lang=en>

    > > <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg209629.png>

    > > Now I finally have the final lens in my Bokeh-collection, the
    > > legendary Nikon 50mm/f1.2 - very fast so the expectations are
    > > pretty high for creamy bokeh.

    > > It's manual focus of course, so getting the focus right is pretty
    > > tricky, especially at f1.2. I've been testing it on my Sony A7
    > > with MF Assist (EVF zooms in) and focusing is still pretty hard to
    > > get just right, even in the lightest of breezes.

    > > Well, here are some test shots, soon I'll post a "showdown" of all
    > > the bokeh lenses in the collection.

    > > <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg209630.jpg> ILCE-7, 0.0 mm, f/0.0,
    > > 1/2500 sec., ISO 50

    > > <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg209631.jpg> ILCE-7, 0.0 mm, f/0.0,
    > > 1/500 sec., ISO 50

    > > <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg209632.jpg> ILCE-7, 0.0 mm, f/0.0,
    > > 1/800 sec., ISO 100

    > > <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg209633.jpg> ILCE-7, 0.0 mm, f/0.0,
    > > 1/1000 sec., ISO 50

    > > <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg209634.jpg> ILCE-7, 0.0 mm, f/0.0,
    > > 1/5000 sec., ISO 50

    > > As you can see, most of the times, the bokeh is really really
    > > creamy and nice.

    > In the old days, I briefly owned this lens for my Nikon F/F2
    > cameras, but I soon sold it. The F 1.4 was much sharper,and had much
    > less distortion, than the F 1.2. The quality loss was just not
    > worth it, for a 1/3 F stop gain.

    The 1.4 is much sharper at 1.4 than this one is at 1.2, but I would say
    that this one is sharper at 2 and 2.8 than the 1.4. I'll try to test that
    theory at some point. :)

    --
    Sandman[.net]
    Sandman, Jun 10, 2014