Nikon 3200 - turned monitor off, can't turn it back on! Two salesman stumped

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by BeamGuy, Jul 23, 2004.

  1. BeamGuy

    BeamGuy Guest

    As the title says I was at the store last night trying out digital cameras. It may
    sound silly but one of my major concerns is the ability to turn the monitor off
    and have it stay off during shooting, even when I power off the camera and
    turn it back on.

    This concern started when I was wandering around Budapest with an earlier
    version of the coolpix and I quite literally could not tell if the monitor was
    on or off in the daylight. I don't care how great the lens and sensor and
    marketing departments are, if the batteries are dead you don't get the
    picture! Finding new batteries, even alkalines, in a foreign city is a chore!

    So - back to the story. We found the menu item to turn the monitor off,
    and did so. I was disappointed because while I do not want to use the
    monitor as a viewfinder I do want it to flash the picture on the screen for
    a few seconds after taking it, like most other cameras do. It did not do this.

    Now for the surprise - we could not get the monitor to turn back on! Two
    salesman & myself tried every which way. No go. I guess there is a master
    reset someplace, I left with them looking for it.

    Maybe this would be a little clearer if Nikon had provided a manual online
    like nearly all other fortune 500 companies - I can't find it.

    ------------

    I guess I will not buy a Nikon this time - though the hardware looks real
    good. Better get to work on the firmware guys. And you do have a manual
    don't you?

    BeamGuy, Jul 23, 2004

  2. BeamGuy

    Tim Smith Guest

    On 2004-07-23, BeamGuy <> wrote:
    > As the title says I was at the store last night trying out digital
    > cameras. It may sound silly but one of my major concerns is the ability to
    > turn the monitor off and have it stay off during shooting, even when I
    > power off the camera and turn it back on.
    >
    > This concern started when I was wandering around Budapest with an earlier
    > version of the coolpix and I quite literally could not tell if the monitor
    > was on or off in the daylight. I don't care how great the lens and sensor
    > and marketing departments are, if the batteries are dead you don't get the
    > picture! Finding new batteries, even alkalines, in a foreign city is a
    > chore!

    This seems strange. I've seen some LCDs in various devices that are damned
    hard to see in daylight, but never one so bad that I couldn't tell if it was
    on or off if I held it near my eye and cupped my other hand around to block
    some of the outside light. Is there something about that camera that makes
    it impossible or difficult to do this?

    --
    --Tim Smith

    Tim Smith, Jul 23, 2004

  3. BeamGuy

    G. Innipig Guest

    "BeamGuy" <> wrote in message
    > As the title says I was at the store last night trying out digital

    cameras. It may

    All this happened five times??

    G. Innipig, Jul 23, 2004
  4. BeamGuy

    Bonzo Guest

    > All this happened five times??

    No - only once. And I posted it only once - but my nntp newserver kept not
    responding. I posted an answer Friday too - once - my server has yet to accept
    it. Maybe Monday it will get posted, maybe 5 times too.

    Bonzo, Jul 26, 2004