    using my D2Xs.

    Any feedback would be most appreciated.

    TIA---

    Fred Banning, Nov 15, 2006

  2. Fred Banning

    Bill Crocker Guest

    "Fred Banning" <> wrote in message
    news:iax6h.257583$...
    > Does anyone have any real world experience using the above 2 lenses?
    >
    > I have the Nikon 300mm f/4 AF and am considering upgrading to the AF-S
    > model. I use it primarily for action sports and wildlife (birds mostly)
    > using my D2Xs.
    >
    > Any feedback would be most appreciated.
    >
    > TIA---

    I've owned both, and both are great lenses! The AF-S might have an
    advantage to you because it's focusing is quieter, using Nikon's Silent
    (ultrasonic motor in the lens). Other than that, I don't see a compelling
    reason to change.

    There is a great comparison by Thom Hogan here:

    http://www.bythom.com/300AFSlens.htm

    Bill Crocker

    Bill Crocker, Nov 15, 2006

  3. Fred Banning

    Bill Crocker Guest

    Oops! That should have read "Silentwave", not Silent. My spell checker
    clobbered it, and I was too tired to catch it.

    Bill Crocker

    Bill Crocker, Nov 15, 2006
  4. Fred Banning

    Fred Banning Guest

    Bi Bill,

    Yes, the SilentWave motor is EXACTLY the reason I'm considering upgrading.
    Is the Silent Wave version that much faster? What body do you use yours on?

    TIA---

    Fred Banning, Nov 15, 2006
  5. On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 21:01:19 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "Fred Banning"
    <> wrote:

    >Does anyone have any real world experience using the above 2 lenses?
    >
    >I have the Nikon 300mm f/4 AF and am considering upgrading to the AF-S
    >model. I use it primarily for action sports and wildlife (birds mostly)
    >using my D2Xs.
    >
    >Any feedback would be most appreciated.

    No direct experience. Reviews an be found here
    http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_tele.html
    Really didn't like the tripod collar design on the AF-S.
    --
    Ed Ruf ()

    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Nov 15, 2006
  6. Fred Banning

    [BnH] Guest

    I have both of them.
    imho the AF-S serie is more fun to use as it is lighter and focus faster too
    [ on D1X / D2H ]
    but i don't know its me or just my feeling , but I think the AF serie is a
    bit sharper.

    Why don't you have a look at the AF-S 400 /2.8 ? for action and birding
    snaps it is a better option
    [on a monopod too btw :D ]

    [BnH], Nov 15, 2006
  7. Fred Banning

    Bill Crocker Guest

    Normally AF-S will focus faster than an AF, but in the case of the 300mm
    f/4's, I didn't see a big difference.

    Bill Crocker

    Bill Crocker, Nov 15, 2006
  8. Fred Banning