    Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a way to adjust the lens to
    counter this?

    -Karl
    Karl Winkler, Feb 26, 2007

  2. Karl Winkler

    Toby Guest

    "Karl Winkler" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I went ahead and got a 28mm f/2.8 D lens for my D200 as to have a
    > "standard" prime lens. It seems to work properly but for the fact that
    > it appears to focus slightly behind where it is supposed to. When the
    > subject is very close (say, 1 foot away) it seems plenty sharp. But in
    > the "normal" focal distances, say 4 feet to 20 feet), it seems to do
    > this mis-focusing thing and the intended focal plane is soft. I've
    > tried several different apertures, so I don't think it's just the
    > softness associated with being wide open.
    >
    > Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a way to adjust the lens to
    > counter this?
    >
    > -Karl

    AFAIK the lens can't misfocus, as it is the camera that does the
    autofocusing. Do you have the same issue with any other lenses? Try manual
    focusing using the "green spot" rangefinder in the viewfinder which lights
    when correct focus is achieved and see what results you get.

    Toby
    Toby, Feb 26, 2007

  3. Karl Winkler

    Karl Winkler Guest

    On Feb 25, 8:58 pm, "Toby" <> wrote:
    > "Karl Winkler" <> wrote in message

    > >I went ahead and got a 28mm f/2.8 D lens for my D200 as to have a
    > > "standard" prime lens. It seems to work properly but for the fact that
    > > it appears to focus slightly behind where it is supposed to. When the
    > > subject is very close (say, 1 foot away) it seems plenty sharp. But in
    > > the "normal" focal distances, say 4 feet to 20 feet), it seems to do
    > > this mis-focusing thing and the intended focal plane is soft. I've
    > > tried several different apertures, so I don't think it's just the
    > > softness associated with being wide open.

    > > Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a way to adjust the lens to
    > > counter this?

    > > -Karl

    > AFAIK the lens can't misfocus, as it is the camera that does the
    > autofocusing. Do you have the same issue with any other lenses? Try manual
    > focusing using the "green spot" rangefinder in the viewfinder which lights
    > when correct focus is achieved and see what results you get.
    >
    > Toby

    Toby,

    Makes sense. I don't have this problem with any other lenses (I have
    the 17-55 and 70-200 zooms, and I started out with the 18-70 kit lens
    - all are sharp as can be). I'll give the rangefinder thing a try as
    you suggest. I wonder if it's just not a sharp sample of this lens?

    -Karl
    Karl Winkler, Feb 26, 2007
  4. Karl Winkler

    Toby Guest

    snip

    > Makes sense. I don't have this problem with any other lenses (I have
    > the 17-55 and 70-200 zooms, and I started out with the 18-70 kit lens
    > - all are sharp as can be). I'll give the rangefinder thing a try as
    > you suggest. I wonder if it's just not a sharp sample of this lens?
    >
    > -Karl

    You need to find out if the lens has problems with curvature of field. Is
    the center sharp when the corners are sharp, or do the corners and center
    come into focus at different distances? Try a few different shots (manually
    focused at slightly different distances on a tripod) of a brick wall or
    something flat with some good detail, and see if everything is in focus at
    the same distance setting. Then let the camera autofocus and see if the
    autofocused image is as sharp as the best manually focused image. It should
    be.

    Toby
    Toby, Feb 27, 2007
  5. Karl Winkler

    darkroommike Guest

    Umm, on a Nikon digital body you aren't using the corners of
    the image, so it will be harder to spot than on film--try
    another sample of the lens if you can borrow one, shoot
    both, side by side at the questionable focusing distances
    both AF and MF, heck borrow an AI or AIs if nothing else.
    darkroommike

    darkroommike, Mar 2, 2007