    Thanks for your help in advance!

    --
    Please remove all UPPERCASE letters in the reply email address!
    James P. Clark, Jun 1, 2006

  2. James P. Clark <> wrote:
    > Has anyone had experience with the new Nikon 18-200 VR DX lens with extension tubes? I'm interested in doing some macro photography and I know that some lenses perform better than others with extension tubes. I don't own the lens currently but I'm considering a future purchase. I own the Kenko DG extension tube set with my Nikon D100 camera and 24-120 VR lens.
    > Thanks for your help in advance!

    I can't say for sure, but I would expect a lot of light loss, as well as
    increased distortion as that lens has a large magnification factor (11x). Why
    not consider buying a Micro lens for the job ... you should get one much
    cheaper then what you paid for the 18-200 VRII job.

    The Nikkor 60mm Micro is an excellent lens. If you really want to narrow
    depth of field, consider a longer focal length lens, like the 105mm Micro
    (costs a bit more).

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse
    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Jun 1, 2006

  3. James P. Clark

    aemd Guest

    While a macro lens will give the best results you will find that any of
    Nikon's single focal length lenses in the 50-135 range, if you have one,
    will give better results with extension tubes than this long special purpose
    zoom.
    aemd, Jun 1, 2006
  4. James P. Clark

    [BnH] Guest

    Not very macro as in snapping a fly's eye .. but this review made me want to
    buy one.
    http://www.digitaldingus.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3033

    =bob=

    [BnH], Jun 1, 2006
  5. I know there are specific macro lens available and it's the best solution if
    you can afford one. The issue with me is that I want one good all-around
    lens to lug on a backpacking expedition and I also want to take macro
    photographs. I'm looking to conserve weight.

    James P. Clark, Jun 7, 2006
  6. James P. Clark

    J. Clarke Guest

    James P. Clark wrote:

    > I know there are specific macro lens available and it's the best solution
    > if you can afford one. The issue with me is that I want one good
    > all-around lens to lug on a backpacking expedition and I also want to take
    > macro photographs. I'm looking to conserve weight.

    If you're looking for a lightweight kit for backpacking I suspect that you'd
    do better with one of the achromatic "close up lenses" (not the cheapie
    diopters but the 2 or more element types).

    > "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <> wrote in message
    >> James P. Clark <> wrote:
    >>> Has anyone had experience with the new Nikon 18-200 VR DX lens with
    >>> extension tubes? I'm interested in doing some macro photography and I
    >>> know that some lenses perform better than others with extension tubes. I
    >>> don't own the lens currently but I'm considering a future purchase. I
    >>> own the Kenko DG extension tube set with my Nikon D100 camera and 24-120
    >>> VR lens.
    >>> Thanks for your help in advance!
    >>>

    >> I can't say for sure, but I would expect a lot of light loss, as well as
    >> increased distortion as that lens has a large magnification factor (11x).
    >> Why
    >> not consider buying a Micro lens for the job ... you should get one much
    >> cheaper then what you paid for the 18-200 VRII job.
    >>
    >> The Nikkor 60mm Micro is an excellent lens. If you really want to narrow
    >> depth of field, consider a longer focal length lens, like the 105mm Micro
    >> (costs a bit more).
    >>
    >> --
    >> Thomas T. Veldhouse
    >> Key Fingerprint: 2DB9 813F F510 82C2 E1AE 34D0 D69D 1EDC D5EC AED1

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    J. Clarke, Jun 7, 2006
  7. James P. Clark <> wrote:
    > I know there are specific macro lens available and it's the best solution if
    > you can afford one. The issue with me is that I want one good all-around
    > lens to lug on a backpacking expedition and I also want to take macro
    > photographs. I'm looking to conserve weight.

    My honest opinion is that the 18-200 will not likely function as a "good"
    macro lens. The optics were tightly designed with the focual length range in
    mind. I have no experience with it, so you can try, but I wouldn't expect
    anything great. I think you will do better working with fixed length lenses
    and using extension tubes with them.

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse
    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Jun 7, 2006
  8. James P. Clark

    bmoag Guest

    Obviously its doable.
    It is up to you if the results are acceptable.
    Clearly it would be smarter to try using extension tubes on this lens and
    seen what the results are like before packing up for the backwoods.
    bmoag, Jun 7, 2006
  9. Well I believe I came up with a workable solution, yet to be tested (waiting
    for order to arrive). After more research I discovered this lens review at
    http://www.bythom.com/18200lens.htm:

    No Converters or extensions. The optical design of the 18-200mm means that
    almost any extension would put the focus point inside the lens--I assume you
    don't want to focus on the fifth element. TCs also pose multiple problems,
    including loss of autofocus and potential damage to the rear element of the
    lens. In short, the only thing you can add to this lens are filters
    (including things like a Canon 500D close-up lens).

    I further researched the Canon 500D close-up lens. This is a high quality
    lens with two elements. I found it referenced many times in association with
    the 18-200 lens. I ordered one, along with a Nikon D200 and 18-200 lens from
    B&H yesterday and will experiment with both the extension tubes and the
    500D. By the way, B&H sold their allotment of 18-200 lenses in a matter of
    hours and the D200s sold out completely in about one day! These are hot
    products for sure.

    Thanks to all for your help.

    James P. Clark, Jun 9, 2006