    I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has actually USED one of the
    cameras - preferably an owner. Please don't point to the 'reviews' - I'm
    looking for actual use experiences.
    ray, May 10, 2012

  2. ray

    ray Guest

    On Thu, 10 May 2012 08:54:53 -0700, RichA wrote:

    > On May 10, 9:59 am, ray <> wrote:
    >> I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has actually USED one of the
    >> cameras - preferably an owner. Please don't point to the 'reviews' -
    >> I'm looking for actual use experiences.

    > http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1058
    >
    > Not as many messages as it once had, owing to the lousy reviews the
    > Nikon's have gotten.

    Thanks for the link. Like most 'reviews' the ones I've seen have been
    good. Depends a bit on intended use - I would not expect it to replace a
    good dslr - but that's not what I'm after. Compact size and light weight
    are important to me as I hike/bike/snowshoe often.
    ray, May 15, 2012

  3. Ray wrote:

    > I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has actually USED one of the
    > cameras - preferably an owner.

    I've been meaning to reply to this, but I've been putting it of as I'm
    afraid that my review isn't all that glowing. Besides, while I own a V1, I'm
    still not sure I qualify yet; I haven't used it very much so far. When I
    pick it up the V1 still feels brand new to me.

    I didn't really imagine that the user interface, controls and layout, would
    matter that much when I bought it. Maybe I just assumed that I wouldn't have
    to worry about ergonomics when buying Nikon. Shame on me.

    My primary reason to buy was that I wanted a small camera with a viewfinder,
    fast response, and decent low light high iso quality. And in those specific
    areas I'm satisfied.

    I think the V1 delivered when it comes to speed. I'm very happy with the
    response time, focus speed is excellent, power on is sufficiently fast that
    it doesn't bother me.

    I found low light - think candle light range - image quality maybe a bit
    worse that I wanted. Wishful thinking, I guess. Otherwise the image quality
    is fine. There is noise when you pixel peep, of course, but if you don't
    there is nothing to complain about. I prefer framing in the field instead of
    cropping post production, that's why I want a viewfinder. I'm also very
    happy that it is 10 Mpixel. I find that be just the right amount of detail
    most of the time.

    Turns out the V1 isn't all that small though, the width and height isn't too
    bad, and the viewfinder peak isn't bad at all height-wise. But the total
    depth and the way the viewfinder protrudes almost a centimeter behind the
    back of the camera makes it very hard to pull out of a pocket. You probably
    won't want to put it in a pant side pocket either, it weighs too much for
    that.

    Now, lets talk controls. Power on, and the shutter button are ok. Easy to
    find without looking, and the film button is distinctly separate from the
    shutter button, which is good. Unfortunately the controls that regulate
    aperture, shutter speed, iso, exposure compensation, camera mode, all make
    me wonder if anyone at Nikon has actually used the camera in anything but
    full auto mode? Also, the function button does nothing useful.

    The little flat weel that controls the camera mode - video, still image,
    smart photo selector, motion snapshot - is too easy to move accidentally. Or
    should I say, impossible to not move involuntarily. I'm almost considering
    epoxy gluing it in still image mode. Also, whatever happened to PASM? Why do
    I have to dive in to menus to switch PASM modes?

    There is a toggle button that is used to adjust aperture or shutter speed in
    PASM modes. I'd much rather have a rear wheel, like the DSLR Nikons. I find
    that it is hard to keep the camera steady while you toggle that button up
    and down. Besides it is tedious to toggle repeatedly when you need to move
    fast from one end of the scale to the other. A wheel makes that much more
    convenient.

    The next major control is the multi selector wheel, which is located at the
    bottom right of the back. That position makes it almost impossible to use
    when you hold the camera up to Your face. Intuitively you want to rest the
    camera corner in your palm, to get solid support, but then the thumb is
    positioned at the top of the camera, and it is impossible to reach the multi
    selector. Also, the multi control is flimsy, there is no distinct feel when
    you rotate it, and it rotates too easily, which means that you can't really
    rest your thumb on it without changing values.

    The auto area AF mode seems to operate by random selection, so I've set it
    to single point. Here's actually a nice feature. In single point mode you
    move the point by pressing the center ok button, and pressing the multi
    wheel. No menu diving here. Still it involves the multi selector, which
    obviously includes the ergonomic weaknesses mentioned above. I assume Nikon
    designers have their right thumb attached on the arm a few cm above their
    wrist. No?

    No, as You can tell, I have a really hard time to make sense of the
    controls. I love Nikon DSLR:s for their ergonomics, so I can't understand
    why all that experience isn't found on the V1 too. It's almost like they
    put the controls there, not for actual use, but solely to be able to check
    that of the feature list.

    I'm quite ok with the viewfinder. Great for framing, and getting a steady
    shot, just as expected. Some reviewers complain that it takes too long to
    activate, when you put your eye up to it, I haven't found that to be a
    problem. There is a manual focus mode, but the viewfinder falls short for
    that, not enough detail. Besides, manual focus is controlled by the multi
    selector, which means that you need to control it with your right thumb...
    See a pattern in this review yet?

    As I mentioned, I haven't used it very much yet, and perhaps some of the
    reason I'm so negative is that I'm not all that familiar to the interface
    yet. Also, I haven't owned a pocket camera before, so maybe I'm spoiled by
    the DSLR experience.

    --
    Fredrik Jonson
    Fredrik Jonson, May 25, 2012